Which Carter?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a wa-bocho then the pointy tip doesn't fit (they have stubby tips), so maybe I should put it "pretty flat" but not as flat as a wa-bocho. Wa-bocho and Funayuki are both small knives (up to 6.5 sun according to MCs website). The longer ones even if they are basically shaped like a Funayuki are usually called gyuto but IDK how stringent he uses his nomenclature.

A couple of years back he made a 7.9 sun (24 cm) funayuki. I almost bought it.

8b864a98.jpg

I honestly love it! I wish it was mine!

So much for my theory... Too flat for me.

Stefan

A couple of years back he made a 7.9 sun (24 cm) funayuki. I almost bought it.

I couldn't tell you how many times I used to look at that last year before it sold. Profile was right up my alley, but I didn't want kuro-uchi and the handle wasn't the greatest looker to me.

A little late to the party, but I've been lurking here for months and have commented on the other forums in the past (although this appears the most vital - thanks to Dave for creating this place). Am reluctant to post here, since the experts can usually add more value.

But on this topic, I have to say that I love all the Carter's about equally. Have others that are great, but these are undoubtedly the favorites (haven't figured out how to upload photos yet, any advice?):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gHlNUGUSV5bGWhDRh8y8-A?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SuPpBfHrIKdfUiPV0DrsXA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PzhRq-Nt5cVWRih_1SCdDw?feat=directlink

rhygin

Carter Funayuki: small (> 210 mm), gyuto height, usually flat santokuesque edge profile, usually very pointy tip.

Thanks for the info guys. Up until today, I would have agreed w/ you all that Carter's funayuki's are small, but currently he's got several new knives (some already sold) he's calling funayuki that are larger than 6.5 sun - up to 9 sun. They look exactly the same as his gyuto's to me, in his pic's. mpp

Rhygin, to post photos from google/picasa, first click "Link to this Photo" on the right hand site of photo. Click the box for "Image only (no link)". Select your size from the drop down menu (usually Large or Medium), then copy the link in the "Embed Image" field. Then when posting here, click the "picture" icon (3rd from the right) above the reply field, and paste the link copied from Picasa in the prompt.

Sounds more complicated than it is.

In Picassa I right click on the photo, select "copy image address" and then paste that into to picture icon box. Then Robert is your mother's brother!

The Carter has arrived, and is a thing of beauty. Now I understand the three finger test!

But there is a downside. It is most irritating to find that Murray can get a double bevel knife sharper than I can get a single bevel yanagiba. I guess I have a lot to learn. Back to the stones.

Keith

Hahaha. That was close to my revelation, as well!
Amazing edges OOTB! I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you've used it for a while. I think I know what they'll be, but I'm still looking forward to it. :D

After some use, I love the Carter. Raw carrots feel like they are cooked, and potatoes fall off the blade without the need for any encouragement.

Instead of being in a saya in a box on the shelf, the Carter is right there handy in the block. It is getting used for almost everything.

I still can't believe how sharp it is out of the box.

Wonderful knife.

Keith

After some use, I love the Carter. Raw carrots feel like they are cooked, and potatoes fall off the blade without the need for any encouragement.

Instead of being in a saya in a box on the shelf, the Carter is right there handy in the block. It is getting used for almost everything.

I still can't believe how sharp it is out of the box.

Wonderful knife.

Keith

Awesome knife!!! How long is it?

Blade length: 5.4sun (152mm), which seems just right for a utility knife to me.

.I still can't believe how sharp it is out of the box.

Wonderful knife.

I just recently came across a Carter as well...I will admit, it is a wonderful knife, and OOTB edge is the best I have seen, but IMO edge retention leaves something to be desired.

This is my first white steel knife, do fresh edges always degrade quickly?

I think I am going to try playing with some different angles and some micro beveling to see if I can't get some more life out of the edge.

It depends on what you're cutting. I find acidic foods degrade a fine carbon steeel edge rather quickly. Luckily it's easy to touch up. Adding a microbevel is also a good solution, but decreases the ultimate sharpness that white no.1 is known for.

Back