Which knife??? Carbon Wa/D handled work gyuto on a budget

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PushCut

Reaction score
UNITED STATES

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
GYUTO or CHUKABOCHO

Are you right or left handed?
RIGHT

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
JAPANESE

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm OR 240mm. For a Chinese veg knife, I would prefer it kind of small like a CCK 1303.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
NO. I do not want stainless; but stainless clad would be great and carbon would be fine.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$150.00 USD. Preferably under $100.00 USD.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)?
Mainly vegetable prep.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I'm a using a Kiwi nakiri. (My "real" knives are in storage 1200 miles from me.)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
PUSH, ROCK (for herbs)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I would hope this knife is better than a $7.00 Kiwi in every way.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Not really a priority, although burnt Chesnut handle would be nice.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Not really

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I definitely want the knife to not be thick or have a lot of belly.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Any type of carbon steel is fine for me, hopefully something that's not super reactive.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood, rubber and synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. Although my stones are in storage as well, so I'll need to buy at least one if I can't get them sent to me or find someone with stones I could use on occasion.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Looking for a cheap knife that gets really sharp for use in a commercial catering kitchen. I have some better knives, but I don't have access to them and would rather keep them away from clumsy coworkers anyway. Finding a traditional handle AND carbon blade seems a little tricky at this price point, but those are priorities for me. Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Here 'ya go...carbon, wa handle w/ horn (vs plastic) and $120 for a 240--shipping will be another $5 if you take slow delivery (SAL). Great knife, will need a touch of thinning to up the performance. Personally, I'd opt for performance and grab the last 240 damascus clad myself (plastic vs horn).

First knife will have better handle, second one will have much better performance out of box but both will need a bit of rounding/easing spine and choil (sandpaper will do the trick). Second one will also have highly reactive cladding if you can deal with that it's a great performer without much work. Both knives are blue 2 core with cheap cladding...the steel is not super hard (supposed to be low 60's) but it holds an edge nicely.

Thank you for you help Chinacats. I know Theory is a big fan of Tanaka and that's good enough for me. So I've put the damascus knife in my cart three times today, but I just don't want another damascus knife. Would a Shapton Pro 320 or a King 250 be a good the stone to remove some of the iron cladding from the Korouchi knife?

Back