Whole canned Chickens

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was a topic a few years ago here with some pretty negative reactions to the subject. So now we are all trying to put in food stocks for a minimum two week stay at home. How does everyone feel about canned chickens these days? I have two and may buy more one at at time. No panic buying just laying away a little extra. When this is over and if i didn't need it, the local food bank will get a nice donation.

I didn’t know there was such a thing as whole canned chicken. Is that the whole bird, or is it broken down? Canned in brine, I assume?

I watched a YouTube video on these, they didn't look too appetizing. I'd eat it, but I'd have to be pretty hungry.

The way I'm approaching a potential self-quarantine is to have a little over two weeks worth of assorted meat in the freezer, mostly chicken thighs. Plenty of aromatics, various herbs and spices, some frozen veggies, some canned beans, and a few pounds of rice and pasta. Might get boring after a while, but we'll have food.

Basically, things that are pretty much shelf-stable that I already use anyway.

I didn’t know there was such a thing as whole canned chicken. Is that the whole bird, or is it broken down? Canned in brine, I assume?

The can states "One whole Chicken without Giblets packed in broth." I've always kept one or two cans around for emergencies when the power goes off. There have been times when that meant a week or so after a storm. I also have an active volcano in my backyard and we worry about the 9+ earthquake that will happen sooner or later. I don't know if there is any real chance of the power going off for this virus but some worst case scenarios have too many people in the electrical grid getting sick to keep it going. So canned and freeze dried stuff as a backup. And given the way the stores are being stripped bare by hoards of locus right now you take what you can get. :)

I watched a YouTube video on these, they didn't look too appetizing. I'd eat it, but I'd have to be pretty hungry.

The way I'm approaching a potential self-quarantine is to have a little over two weeks worth of assorted meat in the freezer, mostly chicken thighs. Plenty of aromatics, various herbs and spices, some frozen veggies, some canned beans, and a few pounds of rice and pasta. Might get boring after a while, but we'll have food.

Basically, things that are pretty much shelf-stable that I already use anyway.

Not sure which vid. you watched but I just found one with the chicken, canned bread, and canned "Cougar Gold" cheese. I'm a Washington State Forestry guy that did my time at Pullman. Glad she really like our cheese! Again, this is supposed to be hard times, long term storage, you don't have anything better food. Not sure a lot of people get that point. Not many old ex-combat infantry types on this forum right?

I so rarely buy canned food (except fish), and put by so much of my own food, that I thought you were talking about canning chickens yourself. I've canned whole muskrats, and now you've got me wondering if I could fit a quartered out chicken in a half gallon jar...

After all this talk, what's the stuff actually taste like? Has anyone here tried it? Is it sort of edible? Anything one might do to make it more edible?

Just curious if it's that much different than other canned chicken, which gets used in chicken salad in this country in the daily. Also seems like you'd be halfway to chicken soup already...

Not sure which vid. you watched but I just found one with the chicken, canned bread, and canned "Cougar Gold" cheese. I'm a Washington State Forestry guy that did my time at Pullman. Glad she really like our cheese! Again, this is supposed to be hard times, long term storage, you don't have anything better food. Not sure a lot of people get that point. Not many old ex-combat infantry types on this forum right?

The lady in that video is incorrect about Cougar Gold storing indefinitely in the can. It has to be refrigerated. That said, I just ordered a few cans to help WSU. Go Cougars!

"Don't go to grocery stores or pharmacies" My canned chicken is starting to sound better and better. Wish I had bought more when I could. The big food hoard starts tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back