Wusthof 3000/8000 combination stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find any info on this stone on the forum. My local knife emporium carries these as well as Shun stones and Zwilling Kramer glass stones and I was wondering if this might be worthwhile. My current synths are shapton pros and I have 1,2,5 & 11K. I know many think the SPs are actually lower grit than advertised. Anyway. Price isn't terrible. Just curious if anyone had experience with the Wusthof.

I've read a lot of folks saying the Kramer's are just rebranded Shapton Glass and they certainly look like it.

The better question is why are you interested the these various stones?

Because I'm out of control and I saw them. 🤣 Probably primarily for vintage razor honing.
I remember seeing Henckels whetstones so I expect Wusthoff to be very similar. Haven't used them but I assumed they would be better quality than amazon-type cheapos.
Seeing that you already have 1,2,5 & 11K this might slot right in to your progression.

Big name brand charging premium prices on mass-produced knives made from ho-hum steel.

Unknown stone at low price.

Good chance it's not gonna be a super high quality stone.

If you wanna explore different stones for different feedback, polishing or some other quality, I'd suggest trying out some well known stones before venturing off into the wilderness of rebadged unknown stones.

If there's something like a trademark quality regarding stones it would probably apply to Naniwa, Shapton, Suehiro and perhaps a few others. I know all kind of gizmos Wüsthof and Zwilling are selling apart from their mediocre knives, terrible ceramic rods for instance, for far too much money who don't exactly benefit to their reputation, which already isn't terrible. People are confident about it, because of a well-known name, and being grossly mislead.

Back