Xiaoxing wine recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be able to purchase shaoxing wine in Chicago’s China Town without salt.
The are a number of grades and when in a round pottery container you have the better wine than in the traditional red labeled bottle.
Then a large hugely stocked liquor store opened in Chinatown that had so many types of Chinese alcoholic beverages, it was mind boggling. They closed in a-few years and now my sources are dry.
Sherry is not even close in flavor profile but Dry Madeira is.
There is a new 88 Market in china town that has liquor, hopefully shaoxing wine, that I am going to try soon.
-Richard

i cant imagine drinking it. there is a whiskey in Taiwan that is popular. it is so herb-forward...not my thing. i feel i should soak a sore ankle in it, not drink it.
this cooking wine has the same medicinal herb thing going according to my nose. i am not sipping it.

i cant imagine drinking it. there is a whiskey in Taiwan that is popular. it is so herb-forward...not my thing. i feel i should soak a sore ankle in it, not drink it.
this cooking wine has the same medicinal herb thing going according to my nose. i am not sipping it.
I gave a buddy a bottle of Chinese medicinal clear liquor, in which the bottom 1/3 of the bottle was occupied by a curled-up snake.

hahahah...

your achey muscles are loving it.
Oh, is that what it's for? I remember eating with some friends at a snake restaurant in Sham Shui Po. My back was right up against a wall of little file drawers. They asked me to move, so they could get at the drawers, which, it turns out, contained live snakes. Fortunately, we were having wine with the dinner, so I just shrugged and went back to my chair.

Snake meat is really, really good, mild and tasty. I probably shouldn't describe the bile thing that came later that evening.

On a later visit, I had steamed alligator back. It's gelatinous and tastes lizardy, and I am not a fan.

Oh, is that what it's for? I remember eating with some friends at a snake restaurant in Sham Shui Po. My back was right up against a wall of little file drawers. They asked me to move, so they could get at the drawers, which, it turns out, contained live snakes. Fortunately, we were having wine with the dinner, so I just shrugged and went back to my chair.

Snake meat is really, really good, mild and tasty. I probably shouldn't describe the bile thing that came later that evening.

On a later visit, I had steamed alligator back. It's gelatinous and tastes lizardy, and I am not a fan.
Every where I been in Asia somebody has tried to sell me a bottle of booze with a cobra, scorpion, bug or something in it. I kind of figured it was a tourist trick. As for alligator, I've ate plenty in the south. Like they always say, tastes like chicken!!

I gave a buddy a bottle of Chinese medicinal clear liquor, in which the bottom 1/3 of the bottle was occupied by a curled-up snake.
I had some of this baijiu at a baijiu bar in Beijing in 2016:

41657-IMG-1070.JPG

I was asking a Chinese friend about this subject a few months ago, I went out and bought a bottle based on her recommendation and then she brought be one. I have nothing to compare it to though, but have had good results the couple times I've used it.
Anybody know the shelf life on an open bottle, not refrigerated?
PXL_20240122_170753099~2.jpg

I was asking a Chinese friend about this subject a few months ago, I went out and bought a bottle based on her recommendation and then she brought be one. I have nothing to compare it to though, but have had good results the couple times I've used it.
Anybody know the shelf life on an open bottle, not refrigerated?
View attachment 295277
I've never had an open bottle go bad on me. I think the max I've tested that is maybe 6-8 months.

What's in your picture is the salted version, which would probably improve its longevity.

Back