Xiaoxing wine recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed, when gadgets are thrown in you know you're being played
No, no, not at all. The rule in China, as it is in Japan, is: the better the packaging, the better the thing inside the package.

Are you saying you don't reverently retain the logo towels that come with some Japanese knives?

No, no, not at all. The rule in China, as it is in Japan, is: the better the packaging, the better the thing inside the package.

Are you saying you don't reverently retain the logo towels that come with some Japanese knives?
IMG_1136.jpeg

should I :oops:

;-)

I don't know what that is, but I am pretty sure that you are making the valid point that there are exceptions to any rule.
Nah just something fun, it’s Beidacang baijiu with their ridiculous bottle, but you are not wrong tho, unless you are an icon like Maotai better packaging is usually better, Wuliangye even has a bottle let you adjust the proof. Tho there is some brand aim at young people with nice packaging like Jiangxiaobai but taste awful

Nah just something fun, it’s Beidacang baijiu with their ridiculous bottle, but you are not wrong tho, unless you are an icon like Maotai better packaging is usually better, Wuliangye even has a bottle let you adjust the proof. Tho there is some brand aim at young people with nice packaging like Jiangxiaobai but taste awful
I take your point about Maotai. I don't think it's there anymore, but there was once an official Maotai outlet in North Point, Hong Kong. I walked in, and, being ignorant about characters, all I saw was a bunch of (to me) identical bottles with very, very different prices.

I live in a state that bans wine and liquor in grocery stores. Asian grocery stores fly under the radar and get some stuff through. Most chinese wine in stores is salted but I can find a few that are not in most stores. I’ve also found rose liquor that is 30% alcohol that I picked up for use in making chinese sausage. Yes, bitters and vanilla extract also seem to be exempt from concern as they are typically 40% alcohol.

I had a look, and it's almost impossible to find here. Plenty of the salted cooking version available, but the drinking version is rare as hen's teeth. There is one place here that sells Shaoxing drinking wine. The cheapest one (5 year old) costs more than double that of a French VSOP Cognac, and the prices go up from there.

I think I will manage to restrain myself…

What nanny state do you live in?
hahahha...i was just fishing in Brazil with folks from all over the USA. they were bagging on CA, calling it Comm..nevermind. we ALL KNOW the coloquialisms used on CA. it would have been awesome to reply, "at least we can buy booze a Safeway!" hahhahahhahah

hahahha...i was just fishing in Brazil with folks from all over the USA. they were bagging on CA, calling it Comm..nevermind. we ALL KNOW the coloquialisms used on CA. it would have been awesome to reply, "at least we can buy booze a Safeway!" hahhahahhahah
Yeah, I can buy groceries and booze in 1 trip, to 1 store. Commiefornia is ssoooo bad.. 😂

I use sherry and brandy for cooking. I like the taste of them. I think it was an Asian cookbook that got me started using sherry in my stir frys. But I don't cook a lot of Asian dishes. I think my last sherry was Taylor.

I also use a lot of different wines in my cooking. I use nice drinking wines not cooking wines.

@parbaked I got both bottles at the new 168 Market in Vallejo.

BEFORE, I got one of the bottles (the one on the right) before at the big store, near the Bank of America on Clement street. Clement and 8th? the one that seems like two store, but it is connected by a big opening in the wall. I don't get to Clement street that often anymore since I moved to the NorthBay.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice!

Alas, I cannot read the characters. What I can say is that every time I've ventured to try one of these rice wines in ceramic instead of glass, it has been a sweet version.
I just opened it and tried a sip. It is clear, with a medium amber colour. This one is dry. The nose and taste are strongly reminiscent of a dry sherry, with a hint of grappa added to the palate. I quite like it, it is nice. But, in a stir fry, I think no-one would ever notice if I were to substitute an amontillado or oloroso sherry for the shaoxing wine.

But, in a stir fry, I think no-one would ever notice if I were to substitute an amontillado or oloroso sherry for the shaoxing wine.
Thanks for the review. I have to admit, even the best shaoxing wine I've had is merely good to drink, not great. Interesting, yes, a broadening of experience, yes, a look at things from a different frame, yes, but not a patch on the wines I like. 10 years is probably about the sweet spot, for my taste; as you move up the age ladder, you get more apparent concentration and more oxidation, but not much in the way of emergent magic.

As for noticing substitutions in dishes, I think that's true, for stir fry, except maybe for subtle changes in a dish you've eaten many times and know to an exactness.

Drunken chicken, though, would likely be another story.

Latest posts

Back