Yikes! What's happened to my Kramer?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
Found this earlier :(

Is this what's known a macro chip?

Cwq4ir8YQC5QjvOhtS1wrd-DTAyXLio1727ojgw4FH1Ra3JW9pZNfrkw5T52rAt0BBKyP5-c2ZQOpu5Lj2d7M32a3JLE8Ytd57Vkz1eJ3xDMpvWo2PPFShfOffWPtGVEMhzGBxUdtnyYY6wUfBKIsXMtM8wtkQoryTsOnkX48XzzY0Bf_kZH3X5kpqR9B3e4fDJDsJ7W1Adk5SwGniQf3mzQj778VoWVoaDUK_RMtgA56fCjgPmxho-qZqlHJI00tAL0wtoYCgpb1mcd9c18YPUqJ-wjv0HUsUD7JEjeYhkLIO0OH0W9KWXRNjmjewfPNKnDMMSkj6k5C6zHCF2ia0zOY03offlvQzct5l_J8vgEYh6LlvKBI3N_A5ljMiuWw8qDXsQfXFcX4UMD9o9abm0M1CnW2WMqOW1WpbPusxDW65mU-kGtYtDZJAHzfNbFRyNsZv1TYSDyxtrlFZuFjCT_joq5WVe7uWnNjnbFSS_JGOLoyLjuRkyROMYbbMYprzxjSKg3oy24mVGvMRtTNKM2lOJRanrnM-YoM2CxD9mz4WFQVTpSD-tBCfUshKQwv7l6u-3MMC76C-jppOG1tQZdwxKQQoo=w397-h926-no

How did you do that?

It looks like the edge is gone in a few places.

It isn't so bad, you didn't really "chip" it higher than the edge. Should be relatively easy to sharpen out.

Have you been cutting hard root vegetables (like swede)?

I saw the pics earlier but they're gone now. Were those actually chips? It almost looked like the edge was still there but not shiny (i.e. deflected/distorted)… perhaps you rolled the edge or cut something caustic right at those spots?

that is bizarre. but easy fix, almost looks like de-lamination but thats not laminated is it?

Just a grind problem? Maybe there was a dip in the edge and wasn't properly sharpened. Or banged against something hard?

It is strange. Doesn't look like your classic chip. This is more a chunk off one side of one edge. Other side of the edge is OK

If it's left, will it bigger?

One more

P1050961.JPG

Looks like you probably banged it on something hard. Bone? Counter? Frozen items? Could have been a weak spot in the metal, but my guess is you hit something pretty hard to take a chunk out like that. Definitely will need some sharpening time to clean it up. The only time I have seen something like that is when they first came out and a guy was trying to bang through bones with it and was upset when chunks chipped off. I haven't had any issues at all with my ZK. If you got it at a store like SLT here in the states, you could potentially get a replacement.

Looks like you probably banged it on something hard. Bone? Counter? Frozen items? Could have been a weak spot in the metal, but my guess is you hit something pretty hard to take a chunk out like that. Definitely will need some sharpening time to clean it up. The only time I have seen something like that is when they first came out and a guy was trying to bang through bones with it and was upset when chunks chipped off. I haven't had any issues at all with my ZK. If you got it at a store like SLT here in the states, you could potentially get a replacement.

I think I remember reading a similar story in an Amazon review. Tried cutting rawhide and chipped it, then thought it wasn't a good knife anymore lol

It is strange. Doesn't look like your classic chip. This is more a chunk off one side of one edge. Other side of the edge is OK

If it's left, will it bigger?

One more

P1050961.JPG

How are you sharpening (using a steel/rod, or… pull thru :shocked3: ), it looks like some metal literally sheared off of one side only (can't be sure from the picture but the apex looks intact?)

I discovered it after giving the edge a lick on the stones (Kings) yesterday

It's certainly never seen rods, pull throughs, frozen stuff, etc

Only thing I can think is I may have twisted it on the board :(

Looks more "rolled" than "chipped" in the closeup. Is it on both sides or just one side?

Though can't completely tell from the pictures. If it is rolled seems like the steel is more on the softer/durable side than harder/delicate side.

just sharpen normally IMO untill you get past it. You could lower your angle, then micro bevel, to keep your geometry but if this is brand new it could wait.

Looks more "rolled" than "chipped" in the closeup. Is it on both sides or just one side?

Though can't completely tell from the pictures. If it is rolled seems like the steel is more on the softer/durable side than harder/delicate side.

It does, which is why it's puzzling. The other side is ok

just sharpen normally IMO untill you get past it. You could lower your angle, then micro bevel, to keep your geometry but if this is brand new it could wait.

This is what I was thinking, didn't want to do anything to it till running it past you guys. Just don't want that area getting worse. I may take it down slightly on a ~400, what do you reckon

This is what I was thinking, didn't want to do anything to it till running it past you guys. Just don't want that area getting worse. I may take it down slightly on a ~400, what do you reckon

I wouldn't go after it with a coarse stone unless it interfered with cutting...I'd suggest just sharpening normally and it will disappear in no time.

I wouldn't go after it with a coarse stone unless it interfered with cutting...I'd suggest just sharpening normally and it will disappear in no time.

That's comforting, thanks

Carry on then :)

looks like an overgrind. did you have it sharpened by someone else?

looks like an overgrind. did you have it sharpened by someone else?

Should have said it will disappear in no time providing it's not an overgrind...on closer viewing it does look slightly suspicious...try sighting down that spot along the flat and see if you notice any odd reflections.

Back