Yoshikane vs. Gesshin Ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which One

• Yoshikane

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • Gesshin

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
I would be the don't care camp as well. :)
Finish on your finest stone. Followed by 400-800 grit sandpaper from heel to tip. Or tip to heel. Whatever you fancy.
Badaboom. Badabing. Eazy peazy. Heyo.

P.S. It's a good working finish that helps hide the future scratches you may or may create.

yoshikane can be pretty easily moved to stones. the grinds are good. not great, but good enough. unfortunately their iron is tragically boring. even on hard stones it's mostly just there.

I know most folks will never put their knives down on their stones themselves but for me this is an important consideration because almost all media blasted knives cut better, react less and look better if you nuke that finish. oh also some idiot borrowed my credit card and bought about 3 dozen natural stones with it and left them in my house. real weird how that happened. but some knives reward you for busting out your good stones some dont and Yoshis dont JMO.

still good knives though, with good heat treats.

practically speaking if you are new to polishing though you might start with something that's either close or dead on out of the box like a Manaka or something else that's stone finished already.

I have two Yoshis (210 and 240) and also a GG. In the end the Yoshi has prompted me to sell my Tsourkan since it is now redundant. The GG is still a great laser that works well in some cases. Food release is not perfect but I still use it at lease once a week for veggie prep.

Rolling through the posts I was developing a response when I saw this:

Sums it up pretty well for me. Want a laser? Buy a GG (or Tad, or SIH). Want a midweight cutter? Yoshi. I've tried a lot of Yoshi and the Amerikiri SKD is my favorite.

Embrace the flat.
So you’re finally ready to part with the Zenso?

I don't think of Yoshi as having a wide bevel, certainly not in the sense that Heiji has.
I think the weird thing is the term wide bevel doesn't have a crisp definition. Unlike the wide bevel on my Yoshikane ;). Mine is the H&K SKD version bought in 2021. Visually you can't tell but it has a pretty crisp shinogi, just not as crisp as say my Tanaka Kyuzo, but more crisp than my old S Tanaka ginsan. It's also a relatively flat grind and maybe only a hair convex, if at all.

@JaVa relating to a comment I saw you make in another thread about petty's:

Akifusa will be just as good for the job for a lot less $ and with even better edge retention, absolutely a great knife you'll be happy with, but just (quite) a bit less special.

For Yoshikane and Akifusa, do you feel the same about the larger knives? I have an Akifusa that I really like so it would give me some sort of comparison idea to think about.

I haven’t tried the Gesshin Ginga yet, had a very close chance in trying it tho, Yoshikane does have that sudden stop feeling when push cut at the heel, not suitable for rocking, But I mainly use this knife for slicing tasks so it doesn’t bothers me, It still has the sharpest OOTB edge I’ve tried up to date.View attachment 162046
This knife looks amazing ! What is it?

Back