„The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House“ - knife ID

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the tv series „The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House“?

What knife is Kiyo using? Does anyone have an idea?

1675283182556.gif

1675283223640.jpeg

1675283283005.jpeg

1675323954697.png

1675323997037.png

1675324049060.png

It is a Western handle knife with brown wooden handle, and 2 or 3 rivets if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Brown wooden western handle could be Masamoto CT series, but hard to say when there's no picture of the kanji.

I don't know re the knife, but The Makanai is the best television show I have ever seen.

Not even kidding, it actually just is.

If anyone decides to watch, could you please make a screenshot of the whole knife (I think there is just 1 scene with the whole knife in it) or at least indicate which episode it was in and what minute?

Brown wooden western handle could be Masamoto CT series, but hard to say when there's no picture of the kanji.
Scratch this. Actually had a look and it has no bolster. So it's either something cheap like one of the Kanetsune lines, or simply something they pulled out of a thrift store that could be just about anything.

Scratch this. Actually had a look and it has no bolster. So it's either something cheap like one of the Kanetsune lines, or simply something they pulled out of a thrift store that could be just about anything.
Yeah, that was my guess, too. I have found a couple of bolsterless J-knives with brown handles, of course, among them Kanehide, Masakane, Morihei, and even TF.

But again, I am not sure and simply didn't make a picture or pay attention in which episode they showed the whole knife... If anyone knows, please let me know.

Last edited:
S1E1 31:20

But admittedly I only did a quick skim through the first episode, couldn't be arsed going through the entire season just to see a knife. :D

A behind the scenes 5 min vid. Gives a further field of view of the knife briefly but no other signifiers

The knife does look like a Masakane, Kanehide or similar but it looks too shiny to be made of SK steel.
Maybe it´s an Itinommon 210mm or so which is stainless clad or as already been mentioned some generic cheap stainless.

Thanks for posting about the series. I might have otherwise missed it.
It is inspiring, appetizing, aesthetically pleasing, joy- and peaceful series.
My girlfriend and I enjoyed it so much and hope there is going to be more seasons.

Back