2023 Bucket List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my eye on him for some time both here and on Instagram and i'm very much interested. But the last time I ordered from the US to the Netherlands I got almost as many extra fees from customs etc. as the cost of the knife I bought.

So a bit on the fence for anything from the US at the moment unfortunately
Not sure if it changes anything on your end, but I'm shipping from Canada.

-Matt

Not sure if it changes anything on your end, but I'm shipping from Canada.

-Matt
As far as I know I'll still be charged import fees of 2,5% of the total value on anything above €75,- + VAT of 21%. But in the new year I might see if I can contact customs for more details.

Really like your work btw and would love to own one of your knives someday 😁

My resolution is to stop buying things. Good luck on that one...
This! My main resolution is NOT go to into Jnats. I have a collector's mindset and this could become very expensive very quickly.

Apart from that, do knives that have been ordered count here? If so, then:
240 Denka
150 Denka (just out of spite lol)
240 Isamitsu Ironclad

Maybe I'll manage to let one of these two go if I strongly prefer the other... maybe.

And I ordered two 240s from Zakharov. Given the current situation, he'll make them when he can. Might be January 2023 or January 2025 :rolleyes:
Which is totally fine, of course.

Couldn't hurt to consolidate the collection and let a few things go. The main thing next year will be to practice thinning and refinishing and keep improving my project knife. Once I'm confident in my abilities, I can do the same to some Denkas...

Spent about 2 hours constantly refreshing the carbon website today to cross the Yanick off my wish list, but every time a knife appeared on the site it was immediately listed as sold out lol 🤷‍♂️.

Each one loaded in sold out for me. Is there a specific way of refreshing that I’m missing out on? 😂

Last edited:
Anryu AS Tsuchime Gyuto 240 or Makage Koishi 240 Gyuto, whichever drops first, getting my hands on them(hopefully🤞🏻)

2023 Goals:
1. Pare way down. like cut the collection in half. starting this week.
2. Upgrade my honesuki
3. Add a 300mm yanagiba
4. Finally add a Devin
5. Takada suiboku 135 petty and 310 suji
6. some type of PM steel 180mm gyuto mainly for fruit
7. pare down even more to accommodate items 2-6 and whatever other manner of nonsense i convince myself i need in the next 12 months

ugh

This! My main resolution is NOT go to into Jnats. I have a collector's mindset and this could become very expensive very quickly.

Apart from that, do knives that have been ordered count here? If so, then:
240 Denka
150 Denka (just out of spite lol)
240 Isamitsu Ironclad

Maybe I'll manage to let one of these two go if I strongly prefer the other... maybe.

And I ordered two 240s from Zakharov. Given the current situation, he'll make them when he can. Might be January 2023 or January 2025 :rolleyes:
Which is totally fine, of course.

Couldn't hurt to consolidate the collection and let a few things go. The main thing next year will be to practice thinning and refinishing and keep improving my project knife. Once I'm confident in my abilities, I can do the same to some Denkas...
I once told myself to buy one set of polishing stones. Ended up an addict and enjoying every second of it 😁

Dunno if this counts but I wanna get properly good at wrapping handles.

Gave it a go for the first time recently using some string / cord used to hang pictures, some ca glue, and a bit of clear nail varnish to seal. Which I think went quite well. Next up fancy patterns and designs.

IMG-3447.JPG

IMG-3457.jpg

IMG-3463.jpg

I once told myself to buy one set of polishing stones. Ended up an addict and enjoying every second of it 😁
Same! 4 years ago I told myself I needed one uchigumori and that would be all the natural I ever needed, now I’ve own(ed) over 100 stones lol

Naturals are addictive (to me) in a way knives arent

Aside from customs I already have arranged for 2023 (Newham, Bidinger and possibly a Northside honyaki) my wish list is fairly short. Main goal of 2023 is cutting down on what I already have.

1) the9 - by far the top of my list
2) maybe another Kippington. Something stainless or laser pony. I don’t think he does workhorse grinds anymore sadly
3) Another Milan if I manage to get on his list again

In 2023 I'd really like to get a @DevinT stainless feather damascus gyuto, any size.
Second, I'd like to get a gytuo by BBB - 15V would be awesome.
On the list for another custom Bazes this year - 240 gyuto.
Probably will get yet another Shi.Han at some point this year - they keep getting better and better and were awesome to start with.
Will likely try out 3-4 makers I've not had the chance to use.
Probably some others bought and sold.

Id like to get back a few of the ones I’ve let go

Kamon
Heldqvist
Jiro Yo 240 gyuto
Xerxes

New ones Im after
Bidinger convex
Bazes workhorse
Thick FM

And the ones I’ll always buy when an opportunity presents itself
Milan
Yanick
Nine

I'm still working on my dream set and I'm not far from it.

I would like to complete my JJT set. Still missing a petty and sujihiki

Then 3 knives from german makers that I'm really looking forward to.

Sturmschwalbe gyuto, Suntravel gyuto, Simon gyuto.

I expect a The 9 gyuto.

A Milan gyuto is almost ready and coming early this year.

And if the opportunity arises, I'd like a Heldqvist.

A few knives should leave me, because in the end there shouldn't be more than 30!

In the meantime, however, I have reached a point where it is difficult for me to let go of a knife at all. Because all knives are good 🤪🤣

Last edited:
This year I will need to keep myself to not buying too many, at least trying like every year LOL.

Knives I wanna get my hands on for sure:

Kisuke Manaka
Tetsujin Metal Flow
Takada Ginsan

Grails, if I get the opportunity:

Bazes
The 9
Dan Bidinger

I'm kinda over the 240 knives ... looking for a *really good for me* 180ish.
Something to replace both my Shibata and Yoshikane 180s and with s-grind .. so likely custom.
.. and if a random Kamon or Dalman comes around on bst, I might try for it.

Otherwise .. I found I lust over very few things these days, and the subjects of lust haven't changed within last year or two (like Saji rainbow), but none of them will likely get bought.

I'm kinda over the 240 knives ... looking for a *really good for me* 180ish.
Something to replace both my Shibata and Yoshikane 180s and with s-grind .. so likely custom.
.. and if a random Kamon or Dalman comes around on bst, I might try for it.

Otherwise .. I found I lust over very few things these days, and the subjects of lust haven't changed within last year or two (like Saji rainbow), but none of them will likely get bought.
Every now and then a 180ish Dalman with S-grind pops up, I sold one on BST a while ago and I‘ve seen 2 more… That would combine your desire for a 180 replacement + Dalman!

Back