WTS 230mm Wrought Iron+52100 San-Mai Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker-Canadian Mazaki
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hello All,

Here I have a first for me, a wrought iron clad sujihiki with a birdseye maple handle. I had originally set out to make a 270mm, but owing to a very thin core and .008" of offset in my drawing dies I ended up with a 2mm wide place in the edge where the cladding crossed the core, so I had to shorten it. Nevertheless I would say my first foray into forging wrought iron san mai went well, and I look forward to using more of this material in the future. This wrought exhibits a lot of character, even a somewhat frosty look up close, and as I discovered during the etch, patinas with some variation in colour. I'll be very interested to see how it looks after slicing up a hot roast or two.

• Blade: 234mmx40mm wrought clad 52100 san-mai (~64 hrc),1200 grit finish, etch and polish
  • Neck: 17mmx18mm
  • Handle: 134mm long, 19mmx25mm tapering to 18mmx22mm, roasted birdseye maple, oil finished and waxed
  • POB: 45mm from the hande
  • Spine: 2.9mm at the handle, 2.47mm above the heel, 2.44mm at 12.5cm, .76mm 1cm from the tip
  • Grind: flat to convex, right hand bias
  • Weight: 134g
  • Relieved choil and spine
  • Edge: .22mm@1mm, .36mm@2mm, .48mm@5mm, .80mm@10mm, measured at the heel. .12mm@1mm, .25mm@2mm, .45mm@5mm, .79mm@10mm Measured at the midpoint.
Asking $450 U.S + $25 U.S for shipping with insurance anywhere in North America. Overseas will be in the ballpark of $50-$75 U.S depending on the area.

20230120_125535.jpg

20230120_125647.jpg

20230120_125551.jpg

20230120_125633.jpg

Thanks for having a look, and have a great day!

-Matt

Thi

That is a sexy knife! Beautiful work. I’m guessing it has something to do with heat treat but can you tell me why the tang is that color and if it serves any practical purpose? I’ve seen Kamon and other makers do similar and always wondered.
Thank you very much! That colour on the tang is from the burn in, it isn't related to the heat treat, but you do get the same array of colours. It allows me to seat the neck into the handle seamlessly. Kamon might do it just for aesthetics what with his metal end cap

Last edited:
That is a sexy knife! Beautiful work. I’m guessing it has something to do with heat treat but can you tell me why the tang is that color and if it serves any practical purpose? I’ve seen Kamon and other makers do similar and always wondered.
My blades are hardened to a rather high hardness. Tempering reduces the hardness and increases toughness (generally speaking. There are exceptions.). I torch temper the tang to especially increase toughness and reduce hardness in that part of the knife, as I want to maintain the high hardness in the other parts of the blade. That's where the colors come from. So they are the remnants of something that serves a purpose so to say. However I sometimes polish the tempering colors, which are oxides on the steels surface indicating the heat it was taken up to, off for aesthetical purposes. In those cases the steel still has been torch tempered, but one can't see it anymore.

So I don’t comment much on knife posts, but I just love that particular cladding look. I also love the way right wrought iron pantinas, so for me I think this is one of the most beautiful blades I’ve seen from you. Please don’t get me wrong, though I’ve never used one of your knives your work looks fantastic I just have always liked that look.

So I don’t comment much on knife posts, but I just love that particular cladding look. I also love the way right wrought iron pantinas, so for me I think this is one of the most beautiful blades I’ve seen from you. Please don’t get me wrong, though I’ve never used one of your knives your work looks fantastic I just have always liked that look.
Thank you! Wrought certainly has a unique and attractive aesthetic that's really growing on me.

Stunning knife! Love the wrought pattern.
Thanks! There will be more to come.

Back