240mm Stainless Steel Gyuto / Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatsnotaknife

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto and Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
prefer Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Gyuto - 240mm
Petty? I don't know

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$1,000.00 USD for both

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing vegetables/fruit, chopping vegetables/fruit,

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I am replacing a German Chef's knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
up and down motion, pull and push

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharp beyond just sharpening
Taller than 1/2 an inch to an inch but not really a tall knife

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Better scratch resistance

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
better handle material. I am only interested in a comfortable knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I would like to use the knife right out of the box

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
At most once per month

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
I think I have a plastic and rubber cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes but I am open to sending them out.
I doubt I sharpen properly

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$1,000.00 USD for both

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I am replacing a German Chef's knife
If I interpret this correctly as 'I'm buying my first Japanese knife' I suggest either getting something far cheaper to develop your preferences, buying a bunch of different knives to develop preferences, and/or going to an actual physical knife store to actually be able to test a bunch of different knives. There's quite some variety in lengths, heights, profiles, grinds & weights.
I think as a forum we're pretty good at matching specific preferences to specific knives, but it's really hard to tell someone else what their preferences are.
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharp beyond just sharpening
Taller than 1/2 an inch to an inch but not really a tall knife
This part does not compute for me.

I bought a few Japanese knives in Japan/Osaka a few years ago but I bought Kiya brand. I did not know anything about knives at the time of purchase. One turned out to be a deba knife which is not a knife I like using since it is very heavy. Regarding going to a knife store, the closest store to me is about 3000 miles away.

The knives I have are old, ugly, and not particular sharp German based knives.
The blade height is short. This is what I am referring to.

I am thinking about getting this gyuto
https://zahocho.com/products/kei-kobayashi-sg2-damascus-gyuto-210mm?_pos=1&_fid=8ba4c70f4&_ss=c

I'd buy these two, which are on sale (I believe it ends today):

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/kaeru-kasumi-stainless-petty-150mm/
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/kaeru-kasumi-stainless-gyuto-240mm/
You can sell either easily in BST if you don't like them for any reason. Also I feel 150 is a good place to start to understand your petty preference (could be 135 or 180, etc).
I think I saw the gyuto knife from this site before.

I saw a complaint that would be very bad for me:
"The only problem I had with it was that it was not as thin behind the edge as expected, and so it wedged on small onions. Because of this reason I had to take it to thinning, and give it a lower rating than expected."
Based on this, this knife will not be suitable but thank you for helping me.

I think I saw the gyuto knife from this site before.

I saw a complaint that would be very bad for me:
"The only problem I had with it was that it was not as thin behind the edge as expected, and so it wedged on small onions. Because of this reason I had to take it to thinning, and give it a lower rating than expected."
Based on this, this knife will not be suitable but thank you for helping me.
No problem! Yeah I was surprised with this comment... small onions are not that hard/dense after all and I've read great reviews about it here. Anyway I just bought one today so I can let you know how mine performs in a week or so.

My suggestion is to start with "simpler" knives and focus on sharpening. Then you open up a world of opportunities.

Ginsan/G3 is a really sharpener friendly stainless steel.

Out of your $1k, set aside like $300 for sharpening gear and you'd be in pretty good shape.

Yeah... normally I'd say 'if you want to send it out for sharpening that's fine', but if you're so far away from the nearest knife store (Alaska?) you're probably also equally far away from a sharpener I'd trust to sharpen expensive knives.

If you have a $1000 budget. I’d find a flight to Japanese knife Imports and spend a day at the shop.

I feel like coming from knives that are not properly sharpened, you could hold and admire SO many great knives and potentially still end up with some lower priced Gesshin Uraku and be blown away.

Most of your budget will be repaid with great conversation and knowledge transfer, and amazing food recommendations.

If you have a $1000 budget. I’d find a flight to Japanese knife Imports and spend a day at the shop.

I feel like coming from knives that are not properly sharpened, you could hold and admire SO many great knives and potentially still end up with some lower priced Gesshin Uraku and be blown away.

Most of your budget will be repaid with great conversation and knowledge transfer, and amazing food recommendations.
I love going to JKI, one day I'm gonna grab that Tangetsu, one day...

You could start with end game stainless and grab a myojin riki sg2. I believe they come in 165, 180, 210, 240. Decent spine thickness for durability, and laser thin where it matters

Lots of great choices that would leave money left over for a 3rd knife once you narrow down your preferences.

For a 240mm Japanese gyuto in stainless <$400 I’d look at:
Yu Kurosaki R2 or VG10
Kei Kobayashi R2 you linked or the non-damascus version to save some money
Yoshikane SKD stainless-clad (semi-stainless)
Shiro Kamo R2
Shibata Koutetsu R2
Akifusa SRS-15

Those are all great knives; my personal choice would either be a Yoshikane SKD. Well actually in that price range I’d probably buy a Birgersson honestly, but he’s a Western smith working in carbon. Or maybe I’d ask Brian Hanson to make me something from his Standard line but stainless-clad and extra thin. Also pop over to the sponsor market forum and see what you think of offerings from @MSicardCutlery - he could whip up a 240mm laser in stainless for you.

For a petty I’d go with a 150mm - $200 would get you something nice.

Then for sharpening an SG500 and SP2000 plus the Shapton field stone holder for a total of around $175. Save the remaining $200-$300 towards your next knife.

This is a hysterical but true answer.

Buuuut, realistically, online shopping is the way here, and rather than going for a knife/knives that are more expensive, thinner, harder heat treatments, more brittle etc… I would seriously consider the Gesshin Stainless 240mm gyuto and 150mm petty combo at JKI. It’s on sale right now if you buy them both. I know you said your budget is a grand, but and unless you know what you’re after, why spend it? Spend less upfront and learn what YOU like first, not what some strangers online tell you is great.

You can ask Jon to round the spine and choil and when that is done it’s a really comfortable knife that you don’t have to worry about babying. They also come with sayas, kind of nice to store them in a drawer, travel etc…From there you can develop your own preferences with a solid foundation. And you haven’t blown the bank. If you want to try down the road a laser, something carbon, something chonky, you’ll still have something thin, durable and low maintenance hanging around.

With that money saved, get some stones, or a combo stone, and go to town. The only way you’re gonna learn is by ****in **** up. So do that. And a cheap sharp knife is going to perform better than fanciest Damascus zdp xyz that is dull. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, enjoy developing your skills.

a lot of good choices such as the list @Delat mentioned. I have tried a lot of that list and they’re good if not great. The kobayashi is a sweet laser and it is really thin. It’s fun. I’ll add into the list Nigara SG2s- they’re attractive (bling) and great cutters. I just got an Anmon and the Damascus pattern is mesmerizing. I love yoshikane skd but the flat profile isn’t for everyone. so many choices…

I can’t overstate sharpening and suggest a cheaper simple carbon white or blue 1 or 2 to practice sharpening. Simple stone setup -1000 & 4000 or 500 & 2000. Sending out is so… not practical and kinda lame. A fancy expensive dull knife is- a dull knife.

My first Japanese knife was a Sukenari HAP40 gyuto. Although I eventually got rid of it, I still look back on it with much fondness and continue to think it's a perfect first (or second, or tenth) Japanese knife of you have some money to spend.

https://www.districtcutlery.com/sukenari-gyuto-240mm-hap40-bocote/
I think I'd lean towards the SG-2 version instead, but otherwise I think they're a great suggestion.
K&S still has them in Australia:
Sukenari SG2 (R2) Hairline Gyuto 240mm

Lots of good suggestions in this thread... and you can basically list just about every forum favorite. They're all good knives, the problem is figuring out which one is the 'right' one for you.

This is a hysterical but true answer.

Buuuut, realistically, online shopping is the way here, and rather than going for a knife/knives that are more expensive, thinner, harder heat treatments, more brittle etc… I would seriously consider the Gesshin Stainless 240mm gyuto and 150mm petty combo at JKI. It’s on sale right now if you buy them both. I know you said your budget is a grand, but and unless you know what you’re after, why spend it? Spend less upfront and learn what YOU like first, not what some strangers online tell you is great.

You can ask Jon to round the spine and choil and when that is done it’s a really comfortable knife that you don’t have to worry about babying. They also come with sayas, kind of nice to store them in a drawer, travel etc…From there you can develop your own preferences with a solid foundation. And you haven’t blown the bank. If you want to try down the road a laser, something carbon, something chonky, you’ll still have something thin, durable and low maintenance hanging around.

With that money saved, get some stones, or a combo stone, and go to town. The only way you’re gonna learn is by ****in **** up. So do that. And a cheap sharp knife is going to perform better than fanciest Damascus zdp xyz that is dull. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, enjoy developing your skills.

This is great advice. For about $300 you can get two nice knives that will be a dramatic departure from your German stainless steel tank. You learn what you like and dislike about those particular knives, and then really splurge on very nice gyuto if you want; the leftover $700 will get you a LOT of knife.

Little outside your price range, but this looks like a very nice set:
https://www.shihanfineknives.com/store/180mm-aebl-fillet-knife
Petty, Gyuto and nakiri.

Sure it doesn't have the 240, but since you mention up/down cutting, this is something the nakiri excels at.

As a note - it looks like Shihan reused a listing page to list the set. The URL says fillet knife, but it's set.

Back