A Bread Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like working with higher hydration dough, you can try my recipe. You can shape however you want. This isn't quite the massive 80+ percent some folks on instagram are doing with sourdoughs but this dough is also workable on a bench. I turn this into 4 demis, but I provided percents so you could make whatever size.
thanks, it's not so much that I'm after doing high hydration bread, as that I love it for Neapolitan style pizze!

I plan to start experimenting with bread now that I know I'm able to work high hydration dough. My regular oven can add steam so there probably is little reason not to try ;-)

Some loaves from this week. Around 86 hydro. I keep dreaming that one day my rye will spring up nicely even though its never going to happen.
20230725_122345.jpg
20230725_122452.jpg
20230726_122150.jpg
20230726_122328.jpg

Wow what bread knife is that?
It's a bread sword by Spare

Thank you! Unfortunately out of stock. Wonder how often he makes these
I think he's having a pre-order for them soon, saw something about it on his ig. The few that dropped on modern cooking got snapped up pretty quickly

If his prices are still @SolidSnake03 stupid, I'd even spring for damascus.
About 528usd for a 350mm bread sword in dammy from modern cooking, definitely not an everyday purchase, but still fairly reasonable if you make a lot of bread. I think direct will be cheaper as well, but I don't look anymore ;)

That's an extremely serious mixer!
Yep! My dad kindly hunted a used one down for me and it's been a totally fuss free companion ever since. Need to do an oil and seal change here in the next few months, but it makes about half as much noise as a Kitchen Aid and won't get bogged down in even the densest dough. Only downside is that it weighs 45lbs to not something one can casually move about!

Last edited:
Does the heat now in Texas somehow make you tweak the recipe? I had quite some trouble making a legit dough during those hot days here last week. o_O

I use my wine cooler for most of the fermentation - set to 53°F. Also everywhere is AC’d in Houston, so indoors it’s rare to find a temp over 71 and a lot of office buildings and commercial centers are colder than that… not uncommon for me to see workers coming to get lunch in a vest when its 105 outside

I use my wine cooler for most of the fermentation - set to 53°F. Also everywhere is AC’d in Houston, so indoors it’s rare to find a temp over 71 and a lot of office buildings and commercial centers are colder than that… not uncommon for me to see workers coming to get lunch in a vest when its 105 outside

yeah working in a Texas office is something else boiling outside wearing a winter coat inside.

I get cold easily and HATED it. The last office I worked in was frequently under 70 degrees in the summer.

yeah working in a Texas office is something else boiling outside wearing a winter coat inside.

I get cold easily and HATED it. The last office I worked in was frequently under 70 degrees in the summer.
Yeah, it’s absolutely absurd. But that whole dynamic probably is for another thread

Yeah. I kinda hate going to the movies in the summer; the need to have the temp set to 65F baffles me. And I’m in Pennsylvania!
It's much the same here. Every time I go and see a movie, I take a jumper, whether it's winter or summer because, inevitably, half-way through the movie, I start freezing.

I guess they are afraid that no-one might notice that they have air conditioning unless they turn it down to 20º C.

my willpower broke and I bought a Challenger bread pan.

oh I'm not that interested in sourdough or country loaves I'll just stick to baguettes. I was a fool.

btw I see a good amount folks being into milling their own grains but even more than that use of the freshest possible flour. I had heard via Richard Bertinet that bakeries often let flour sit for a while in storage before use intentionally. is that a workability thing, a convenience thing?

my willpower broke and I bought a Challenger bread pan.

oh I'm not that interested in sourdough or country loaves I'll just stick to baguettes. I was a fool.

btw I see a good amount folks being into milling their own grains but even more than that use of the freshest possible flour. I had heard via Richard Bertinet that bakeries often let flour sit for a while in storage before use intentionally. is that a workability thing, a convenience thing?
I believe that aging the flour/grains makes the flour more predictable in its behavior

Bit of an oddball bake today, haven't made it in a while. These are made using a bit of teff flour and sit at an almost pizza dough level of hydro only 62%
Learned to avoid adding a lot of water as initial attemps produced dough that seemed to sweat (these did too) and sometimes made a mess of my bannetons. Vwg also added here for extra strength as teff is gluten free.

20230810_122330.jpg
20230810_122427.jpg

Does anyone here use the levain method from Tartine?

I have had really good results using my starter and terrible results using a levain. I have just used the starter as a straight swap out and then the whole thing works incredibly well. I am just baffled.

Does anyone here use the levain method from Tartine?

I have had really good results using my starter and terrible results using a levain. I have just used the starter as a straight swap out and then the whole thing works incredibly well. I am just baffled.

Can you describe the levain method you’re using with timing and percentages? A levain isn’t so different from starter so I’d imagine it’s getting over or underproofed or something.

Can you describe the levain method you’re using with timing and percentages? A levain isn’t so different from starter so I’d imagine it’s getting over or underproofed or something.

absolutely.

general method is you add some young starter to 1:1 flour and water. thisI let it go overnight but it went WAY over so in the morning I did what the book suggested and discarded half, added fresh flour/water and waited for a while to let that get going. After passing float test I proceeded as normal. I got reasonable fermentation during bulk, and after 1 hour room temp I had a really long cold ferment.

woke up, baked. but crumb was still indicative of underfermentation but with some massive holes suggesting I had really uneven distribution.

Back