A Bread Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first bread in … ages. can’t remember the last time but probably six months. starter woke up fine in just a as couple of days. loaf is one ugly puppy, but it rose well. messy cut and pointy ear. gave it to my mum and forgot to document the crumb. it was even, moist and soft, if not that open. nice taste. 100% local wheat. 80% hydration. starter is 50/50 wheat/whole grain rye

View attachment 312090
Looks awesome

Wife requested “jalapeño popper” bread. I gave it a shot although it didn’t sound good to me. Diced jalapeño, cheddar and cream cheese. Kind of tasty actually although it wasn’t well shaped or proofed enough.
IMG_6512.jpeg
IMG_6517.jpeg

Haven’t baked a loaf in a minute, but this is one of my favourites - high hydration sourdough mega tin loaf.

First outing for the second-generation starter after my first one shuffled off this mortal coil due to neglect (RIP Sausage Barry, you saw me through multiple COVID lockdowns).

Pretty happy overall with the flavour, although I think they proofed a little too long, and I underbaked this batch by maybe 3 or 4 minutes so they’re a little gummy. Excellent toasted though.

IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1736.jpeg

Winged this one a bit but happy how it turned out. Focaccia sort of thing with some olives and capers. Wish I had some sundried or small tomatoes on hand. Also added less yeast than I'd usually go for to try and slow things down and I think it's worked well in this case.

IMG_20240414_195840477~2.jpgIMG_20240414_200822203~2.jpg

That crust is gorgeous! Mind if I inquire what your oven set up / steam control looks like?
Thank you!

I bake in a 28 cm Le Creuset Dutch oven. Pre-heat to 240 °C. After scoring the dough, I spray the dough with a bit of water, put the dough on a parchment paper sling into the Dutch oven, add one or two ice cubes, and bake with the lid on for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid, lower the temperature to 220 °C, and bake until the colour looks right, about 15–20 minutes more.

Speaking of bread… over on some other platforms there is debate on whether bread knives should have serrations or if one should just use a regular knife.
I feel like a good sharp suji or chefs knife could do the job fine for softer loafs, but for hard crust I think serrations would be better. Any thoughts, experience on this?
(Pic is a throwback to a custom bread knife I made a while back)

Attachments

• IMG_6190.jpeg
    IMG_6190.jpeg
    934.1 KB · Views: 0
I feel like a good sharp suji or chefs knife could do the job fine for softer loafs, but for hard crust I think serrations would be better. Any thoughts, experience on this?

My sourdough would really mess up some gyutos I own. Bread knife for me all the way.
Agreed. Sourdough (or any crispy crust) = serrations.

I’m mainly a 100% rye (aka dense brick) baker. I’ve found the rounded scallops of the MAC bread knife really useful for the denser baked goods, and seems to reduce the crumbs / shavings left on the board compared with my old pointed serration Wusthof style bread knife. The rounded scallops also seem excellent for cake splits on lighter sponge cakes too (without shredding too much the delicate insides).

Speaking of bread… over on some other platforms there is debate on whether bread knives should have serrations or if one should just use a regular knife.
(Pic is a throwback to a custom bread knife I made a while back)
A bread knife is entirely unnecessary, but unless you're living some hyper minimalist knife lifestyle to prove a point or something (who does that), just grab a Mac and call it a day.

Or a Spåre apparently, and call it a good day!

A bread knife is entirely unnecessary, but unless you're living some hyper minimalist knife lifestyle to prove a point or something (who does that), just grab a Mac and call it a day.

I don’t understand how “minimalist lifestyle” translates to needing a knife specifically for bread. Seems pretty counter intuitive. My Mac gyuto does a terrible job cutting crusty bread so I will stick with my bread knives.

Or just grab a Mercer 10”, and call it a great day.* Then use the extra $$ to buy some hashish for yourself or a gift for a friend.

*Disclaimer: It needs twenty minutes, some 800 grit sandpaper, and a small dowel, every five years to keep it cutting the crustiest breads very nicely.

Or just grab a Mercer 10”, and call it a great day.* Then use the extra $$ to buy some hashish for yourself or a gift for a friend.

*Disclaimer: It needs twenty minutes, some 800 grit sandpaper, and a small dowel, every five years to keep it cutting the crustiest breads very nicely.
Yo I got a 10" Mercer in the bag that my chef gave me, it's *just fine*

But, well, you know what I meant. Grab a decent bread knife because every kit should have one. Even if they aren't *explicitly* necessary. 👍

Back