All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some ARM options for the weight conscious

1702589209607.png

I've got some fresh arm steel but idk what I'm going to build out of it. At first I thought about a Nakiri.... But I've got 14c28n in 90mm šŸ¤” that's a good cleaver size imo! Hm..... My tendency is more to a cleaver because....it's a cleaver! We'll see

I've been using nakiris a lot over the past few months. Almost exclusively as a main knife. I really enjoy them.

So, with ARM not too far off, I've shuffled the starting roster a bit. A couple nakiri went to the reserve bench and my Munetoshi 210 gyuto and Homi 165 sanotku took their spots. I mean, there's still a couple nakiris in there. I'm not a full blown masochist. šŸ˜

I'm going to try not using my nakiris that much for the next couple weeks. Months? The idea being to both see how I like the pointies now after not using them too much and to really enjoy ARM.

ARM was really nice last year since I had 4 rectangles, and only used/liked 3, so it was also a nice time to really dial in knives. Now with 5 rectangles and another cleaver and nakiri on the way it will be a little more diluted, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I brought a 210 with me for the holidays and do wish I had brought a nakiri instead.

ARM was really nice last year since I had 4 rectangles, and only used/liked 3, so it was also a nice time to really dial in knives. Now with 5 rectangles and another cleaver and nakiri on the way it will be a little more diluted, but I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.
Facing a similar problem, last ARM I put on a severe restriction: no cleavers, only Nakiris. It helped me get to know my Nakiris thoroughly, instead of just falling back on cleavers, which I use all the time.

I'm still thinking about what restrictions to put on for this year. I sorted out my Nakiri preferences so thoroughly that what I really have is one Nakiri that is all the Nakiris I need, having figured out that if a non-petty knife is going to be short. it had better be heavy. So my thick-spined, wide bevel Nakiri is in for sure, while the others sit in storage, waiting for me to sell them. I'll take a look through, and see if I should include any of them, in the hopes of rekindling an affection.

Cleavers are a whole other issue. Like you, I fear dilution of the experience. Having a choice from among, what is it now, 15? cleavers, is just what I refer to as a weekday. So the answer is to select a limited subset. Probably one small, one large, and one at chicken-bone-chopping heft in reserve, just in case I need that.

Facing a similar problem, last ARM I put on a severe restriction: no cleavers, only Nakiris. It helped me get to know my Nakiris thoroughly, instead of just falling back on cleavers, which I use all the time.

I'm still thinking about what restrictions to put on for this year. I sorted out my Nakiri preferences so thoroughly that what I really have is one Nakiri that is all the Nakiris I need, having figured out that if a non-petty knife is going to be short. it had better be heavy. So my thick-spined, wide bevel Nakiri is in for sure, while the others sit in storage, waiting for me to sell them. I'll take a look through, and see if I should include any of them, in the hopes of rekindling an affection.

Cleavers are a whole other issue. Like you, I fear dilution of the experience. Having a choice from among, what is it now, 15? cleavers, is just what I refer to as a weekday. So the answer is to select a limited subset. Probably one small, one large, and one at chicken-bone-chopping heft in reserve, just in case I need that.

What is your "one" nakiri that you settled on?

ARM would be a great time to give the others another chance and then list the ones that don't make it. A little ARM BST love. :)

There's a possibility of "1 knife April" šŸ‘€

Back