All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ARM’ed up.
IMG_2281.jpeg

Be warned people, used a gyuto today and stabbed my finger - won’t be making that mistake the rest of the month…

He even calls it the rectangle. When I ask him which knife he wanna use, "you want the triangle or the rectangle?"

No matter how much it all sticks as they grow, I strongly believe giving some knife and cooking skills to kids is a tremendous service. It can give them the fundamentals to take care of themselves, to learn that they can make "fast food" better and cheaper, etc.

Other Daovua Tall Nakiri 52100 (KU finish) - This was touted as the most current generation so maybe it's an upgrade. Dunno yet, literally just got it. Stay tuned. From our friends at @TokushuKnife

Update on this guy - did really well on some gnarly brussel sprouts so that's a good test. Clean cuts, not too much resistance. Impressed for the price.

I absolutely kid you not, I just got an email with an actual picture and price from Michael/KJ of a nakiri I'd asked about having made probably eight or so months back. He'd pinged me once and thought the smith would have something in November but it didn't come to pass. Not a peep since and here we are, on the first day of ARM and bam! Picture proof and a price!

The power of the rectangle. ;)

Nothing fancy but this smith's 165 occupies my most used slot to date so getting it in a 180 is exciting. I believe Michael has a 180 santoku as well but will need to clarify.

More to follow...

:)

I’ve never cut up a watermelon with a cleaver before… I usually reach for a 270 gyuto or larger. I have to say it was a lot more fun than I expected 😊

IMG_5080.jpeg
IMG_5085.jpeg
IMG_5086.jpeg

Had to take a quick pic of my bacon this morning… it’s homemade with no nitrites or nitrates, and I’m very pleased with how pink this batch is. I could care less at the end of the day, but most of my bacon does have that gray tinge. This batch I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell it was cured without that stuff.

Last edited:
I’ve never cut up a watermelon with a cleaver before… I usually reach for a 270 gyuto or larger. I have to say it was a lot more fun than I expected 😊

View attachment 304737View attachment 304738View attachment 304739

Had to take a quick pic of my bacon this morning… it’s homemade with no nitrites or nitrates, and I’m very pleased with how pink this batch is. I could care less at the end of the day, but most of my bacon does have that gray tinge, but this batch I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell it was cured without that stuff.

I honestly don't find myself out-knifed very often.

Bacon looks great too!

The oversized belly of the BIG SHINDO was pissing me off, just awkward on such a tall but relatively short knife. So I got out the sandpaper, 120 grit, and thinning juice (sotol). Took about 4 mm off the middle and flattened things out while still keeping a hint of curve. Back in business!

Before:
20240301_150520.jpg
20240301_150456.jpg

After:

20240302_093220.jpg
20240302_093212.jpg

I absolutely kid you not, I just got an email with an actual picture and price from Michael/KJ of a nakiri I'd asked about having made probably eight or so months back. He'd pinged me once and thought the smith would have something in November but it didn't come to pass. Not a peep since and here we are, on the first day of ARM and bam! Picture proof and a price!

The power of the rectangle. ;)

Nothing fancy but this smith's 165 occupies my most used slot to date so getting it in a 180 is exciting. I believe Michael has a 180 santoku as well but will need to clarify.

More to follow...

:)

Here's Michael's pic and description of my soon-to-ship Homi 180mm nakiri:

KJHomi180.png

"Blade length 180mm of course, height is 53mm at the heel and 55mm at the tallest point, weight is 156g (the 165mm above is is 135g), keyaki handle."

For as long as I've been looking at Knife Japan, Michael has had precisely two offerings from Homi-san: 165mm nakiri and santoku. I have one of each and as I said, I love 'em and almost immediately asked Michael if Homi would be open to a 180 nakiri. It took months but you don't nag at these things. Michael is a great guy so you don't bug him. Homi is an old smith so he'll get to it if and when he wants. There's the whole cultural aspect and then fact that I'm not going to starve to death if I don't get the knife.

So to get the email about it on the first day of ARM24? Serendipity? Divinity? I'll let you decide but I know what I think. :)

Last edited:
Back