All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@HumbleHomeCook is this a rectangle holding your rectangles?
1711947391524.jpeg

Is this 52100? What creates that banding? if you polished another Eddworks knife prepared with the same mono steel in the same way, would it likely exhibit banding too?
Yes it's 52100, I've had a Markin 52100 that had even more obvious banding and have seen it in A2, 1.2519, some honyaki, etc. @eddworks can better answer if his other knives would have the same characteristic. I have tried two other Eddworks 52100s and didn't notice this banding in either of them but they could have been etched differently, who knows.

Yes it's 52100, I've had a Markin 52100 that had even more obvious banding and have seen it in A2, 1.2519, some honyaki, etc. @eddworks can better answer if his other knives would have the same characteristic. I have tried two other Eddworks 52100s and didn't notice this banding in either of them but they could have been etched differently, who knows.
It’s bloody outstanding. Thanks for the info

I see this banding on most of the 52100 when I etch it, but it usually "washes off" pretty quickly. Cool that it stuck around on this one!

Perhaps @HumbleHomeCook should call for an ARMay as well. Doth spring there offer a pursuit better suited for a heavy rectangle than cubing rhubarb?View attachment 318761
How do you like the sugi? I didn't quite jive with the profile on the sugi 6 but I know others love it. Have a sugi 1 I need to test drive too but so many knives, so little time!

What didn't you like about it? For me it's pretty much the Platonic form of a cleaver. Can't believe the deal from Amazon Japan

Just a bit too much curve toward the tip for my tastes. I recognize I am in the minority on this one.

Here, you can see it's 112 at the heel, 114 at maximum "belly," and then up to 105 at the tip. So somewhere between that 114 max point and the 105 tip is the issue for me. Not sure if it's total amount of deviation that's causing the issue, the location where the curve begins, or the rate at which it curves.

A12.jpg

That said, I do think that the grind is awesome and the overall weight/balance is excellent. It is unquestionably an excellent cutter.

Just a bit too much curve toward the tip for my tastes. I recognize I am in the minority on this one.

Here, you can see it's 112 at the heel, 114 at maximum "belly," and then up to 105 at the tip. So somewhere between that 114 max point and the 105 tip is the issue for me. Not sure if it's total amount of deviation that's causing the issue, the location where the curve begins, or the rate at which it curves.

View attachment 318764

That said, I do think that the grind is awesome and the overall weight/balance is excellent. It is unquestionably an excellent cutter.
This is what made me not go for a sugi, way too much belly.

View attachment 318764

I don't have such precise measures. There is definitely an upsweep in front. I think mine is similar to this. I've put one on my Moritaka, albeit not as pronounced.

Last edited:
Back