Any way to buy macadamia nuts that are not already somewhat spoiled?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best quality I have tasted were macadamia in shell, with a small tool to remove it, similar to this: Macadamia Twist | Australian in-shell nuts. May be you can find similar in USA too. 🤞
I had been wondering about tools, after I noticed that @refcast 's source, which I plan to tap as soon as I get the email that macadamias are back in stock,, was for in-shell nuts. I would not be at all shocked if it turned out that in-shell nuts were the perfect match for my freshness quest. I know I avoid all pecans out of their shells, because they seem to lose quality fast once shelled, in the same kind of unpleasant-aftertaste way as the macadamias.

Which will bring me quickly to the problem of discovering a proper way to shell the nuts. I used to have a tool, but it did not work very well, and I tossed it when my supplier of macadamia nuts in shell went away. Macadamias are, if you will forgive my saying so, a tough nut to crack. Of course the ideal tool would be a trained Hyacinth Macaw, but that's more trouble and expense than I'm looking for.

The twist tool looks as though it requires sawing a slit in the nut first. I guess maybe it's a synergistic product, quarter-sawn nuts and twist tool packaged together? I will look for it in the US, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Update: Huh, they're on Amazon. Ordering now!

I have one of these:
D-Line-Crack-a-Mac-Macadamia-Nut-Cracker_1_2000px.jpg
They work fine if you are not in a hurry.

Otherwise, there are the lever models. They are faster and easier, but take up more room and cost a lot more.
Nut-Cracker-pic.jpg

i just bought some of those macadamia-twist brand. i think these are the first ones i've had that don't taste oxidized. lol

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B18NR4TJ/
Well that's promising. Mine arrive tomorrow. My Australian lever nutcracker, which I think is the exact one that @Michi posted a picture of, arrives somewhat later.

Also discovered that nuts.com offers macadamias in shell. Everything is converging toward happiness.

just fyi you don't need a cracker for the m-twist brand. a slot is preground into the shell. they open very easily with just about any kind of tool. a screwdriver, a butterknife, probably even your hands.

just fyi you don't need a cracker for the m-twist brand. a slot is preground into the shell. they open very easily with just about any kind of tool. a screwdriver, a butterknife, probably even your hands.
Yes, I realize that; they have a great visual explaining it, in a link that appeared earlier on the thread. I am just making a hard assumption that pre-sawn macadamias are not my final stop on this journey, though they may be a rewarding station along the way.

lmk if the ones from nuts.com are even better

Best quality I have tasted were macadamia in shell, with a small tool to remove it, similar to this: Macadamia Twist | Australian in-shell nuts. May be you can find similar in USA too. 🤞
Macadamia Twist nuts were excellent! Could not detect any oxidation at all. Night and day compared to everything else I've tried. Thanks much for the recommendation.

Now that I've realized/remembered what macadamias are really supposed to taste like, I was being WAY too charitable to the nuts.com ones (shelled). Still plan to try the ones in-shell from them though. Basically seems as though macadamias out of the shell will oxidize if you look at them funny.

Last edited:
You have made me realize that I have never tasted a proper macadamia. I will have to order these. Thank you.

Also I’m pretty sure my candlenuts are rancid by now.

Thanks to reading this thread last night, I'm getting to taste the best macadamia nuts I've ever had! Like someone mentioned above, lighting fast delivery from Amazon, lol, like less than 12 hours and their in my hands.

Maybe a touch more salt would be nice, but the flavor is incredible, subtle and sweet. None of that funky sweaty sock stank that you get from the regular ones from Costco (or anywhere else). The texture is nicer too. Not quite as buttery, but a bit more crisp in a good way.

Thank you to whomever recommended these. I'll be an unshelled macadamia nut evangelist moving forward. I also kinda like that the process of needing to open the shells for each one will give me a bit more portion control/restraint. A container of regular macadamia nuts can get blown thru really fast for me.

Back