Anyone seen this knife before?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Davis

Reaction score
Interesting Chef Knife, La Trompette early Sabatiere I believe, looks like metal handle. Any thoughts on it?

Screenshot_20230421-155837_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230421-155908_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230421-171048_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
My thought before reading the description was a sab. Maybe replaced scales? Haven't seen aluminum ones before. Interesting!

One has to be very careful when any Trompette is concerned. La Trompette was the trade mark of Jean Auguste Sabatier who has in the 1870's revolutionised the knife world. His model has been adopted by all other makers. Sheffields and knives from Solingen of around 1900 are all very similar to Sabs and will only change in later times.
The knife you're showing is much more recent. In the time we are speaking about they're were no French full tangs. The ebony Nogent handle with a rat-tail tang was the standard. Very light, allowing a forward balance and its replacement, as they were likely to break. Sabatier's heirs have been careless with his trade mark and under the Trompette name a lot of knives have been made of various qualities, to put it politely. It's no good sign if one uses others' name. As the Trompette name was well-known less scrupulous traders used it. This is no original La Trompette.

Attachments

• Sabatier-La-Tompette_kl.jpg
    Sabatier-La-Tompette_kl.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0
  • trumpet.jpg
    trumpet.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
Besides, what a poorly maintained profile, with the protruding fingerguard and the reverse belly. Only a very small section can touch the board. That 1/2" will have to undergo all forces. Can't see the tip but I'm not optimistic. This blade has undergone a lot of abusive steeling.

One has to be very careful when any Trompette is concerned. La Trompette was the trade mark of Jean Auguste Sabatier who has in the 1870's revolutionised the knife world. His model has been adopted by all other makers. Sheffields and knives from Solingen of around 1900 are all very similar to Sabs and will only change in later times.
The knife you're showing is much more recent. In the time we are speaking about they're were no French full tangs. The ebony Nogent handle with a rat-tail tang was the standard. Very light, allowing a forward balance and its replacement, as they were likely to break. Sabatier's heirs have been careless with his trade mark and under the Trompette name a lot of knives have been made of various qualities, to put it politely. It's no good sign if one uses others' name. As the Trompette name was well-known less scrupulous traders used it. This is no original La Trompette.
Thank you for information!

Does this help the lineage any, on the blade is this:
Screenshot_20230421-171048_eBay.jpg

I found some 30 later registrations of the same trade mark in Thiers who were in no way related to the original maker.

Back