Ashy's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First installment with new shoes. Got them rehandled by Tony at LaSeur knives. My materials and designs, his fantastic work. Will be posting more as they're completed...

Knife: Toyama 210mm gyuto
Handle: Maple burl + copper + bias-cut black palm

Knife: Toyama 150mm petty
Handle: Maple burl + copper + bias-cut black palm

Knife: Fujiwara Teruyasu Maboroshi 210mm gyuto
Handle: Ironwood + imitation musk ox horn + bog oak

Knife: Fujiwara Teruyasu Denka 210mm gyuto
Handle: Buckeye burl + nickel silver + bog oak + nickel silver + buckeye burl

Knife: Kato Standard 210mm gyuto
Handle: Koa + ivory paper micarta + koa

Knife: Devin Thomas ITK 225mm gyuto
Handle: Narra beeswing + white Elforyn + black paper micarta

Love these designs, especially that buckeyeburl/bog oak on the Denka. What inspired this design?

Love these designs, especially that buckeyeburl/bog oak on the Denka. What inspired this design?

Thanks, @juniperburl! CarbonKnifeCo.com sold a Takeda gyuto some time ago with a custom Cody handle (see photo below) and I knew I wanted to use the same design on a KU knife of mine. The handle for the Denka is one of my favorites. I love it!

Example-TFDenka.jpg

Happy you like the design enough to to emulate it. That's one of mine, and it has always been one of my favorite designs. Lots of cool tones that do work well with kurouchi. Cheers, Cody

Happy you like the design enough to to emulate it. That's one of mine, and it has always been one of my favorite designs. Lots of cool tones that do work well with kurouchi. Cheers, Cody

LOL! You're going by a different handle (no pun intended :p) now??? Regardless, your work is fantastic. Now I feel embarrassed with my reply not knowing it was you. :oops:

Having my Kato WH done with Koa, nickel silver and blackwood like the handles you did for both Mizuno Honyaki for Carbon. I know it was Taz. blackwood and not Koa, but it's pretty close. ;) Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Hope you don't mind that I'm trying to have the designs replicated!

As always Ashy, those are superb. Classy and well done.

Thanks, Sean! I like simple designs. I take a lot of my inspiration from Bloodroot Blades' handles. What they do with the wood they have available is AWESOME! Of course, as seen above, I've also taken ideas from Cody, Haburn (Maboroshi), and Isaiah Schroeder (Toyamas).

Thanks, Sean! I like simple designs. I take a lot of my inspiration from Bloodroot Blades' handles. What they do with the wood they have available is AWESOME! Of course, as seen above, I've also taken ideas from Cody, Haburn (Maboroshi), and Isaiah Schroeder (Toyamas).
Imitation is the purest form of flattery and you can still twist it a bit to make it all yours. I’ve imitated handles I’ve seen and liked on most of my customs. I’m just getting started though, I’m sure it will evolve as I go. Keep posting your customs, I always enjoy it when you do.!!

LOL! You're going by a different handle (no pun intended :p) now??? Regardless, your work is fantastic. Now I feel embarrassed with my reply not knowing it was you. :oops:

Having my Kato WH done with Koa, nickel silver and blackwood like the handles you did for both Mizuno Honyaki for Carbon. I know it was Taz. blackwood and not Koa, but it's pretty close. ;) Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Hope you don't mind that I'm trying to have the designs replicated!

Its all good! Don't feel embarrassed, I put you on the spot :p. Name change because I am just poking around, not promoting.

The handle on the miz honyaki from carbon knife co is one from Joe I believe;). I'm sure your will turn out fine:).

Kato standard looks way cool. Ashy, which kato do you reach for more? Great collection btw. I’m not really into custom handles but your blades are some of my faves for sure.

Kato standard looks way cool. Ashy, which kato do you reach for more? Great collection btw. I’m not really into custom handles but your blades are some of my faves for sure.

Thanks, labor. The standard was my preferred Kato back when I had them both. I just got the WH back after it being away for months waiting for a handle so I didn't do any comparison with new handles. I ended up selling the standard because it was a bit too short for my tastes (and I needed the $$) and I haven't used the WH since I got it back last week. For now it's my only Kato so that'll be the one I reach for. :D My preference is to get a 240 standard because it's the best of both worlds, IMO. No luck with my recent WTB post so maybe I'll bump that sometime soon.

After buying a larger board, I've found that I prefer 225-240mm blades so I'm running into a problem that the newly handled knives are shorter than I'd like. I'm slowly transitioning to longer blades and selling the ones that are too short. Not an ideal way to do it, but I'm having fun along the way, even though my wallet isn't. :rolleyes:

BTW, you need to post photos of your new TF. Glad you're liking it. I love(d) mine, but I need one with a longer blade. Even though I swore off buying them again, I still want one. They're fantastic when you get a good one, but for the $$ I could buy an Akebono. Touch choice...

Last edited:
A few more...

Knife: Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 240mm Gyuto
Handle: Bog Oak + Blonde Horn

45553583982_34612cff9b_k.jpg

Knife: Shigefusa Kasumi 240mm Gyuto
Handle: Maple Burl + African Blackwood

43786456810_a33e2889e5_k.jpg

Knife: Wakui Nashiji 240mm Gyuto
Handle: Tasmanian Blackwood + African Blackwood

45553580942_9211e8cf62_k.jpg

Collection as of March 25, 2019.

Not shown: Mazaki nashiji 240, Tanaka ginsan 240, Shiraki crescent moon honyaki 240, Takamura R2 210, Tojiro bread knife, Tanaka blue #2 nashiji 240 no handle, Mizuno blue #2 270, Kippington 52100 255mm

33588570158_ebc7e3e4a1_k.jpg

Top Left

Misono Dragon Swedish carbon 240mm gyuto Western
TF Denka 240mm gyuto Western
Takamura Uchigumo 240mm gyuto Western
TF nashiji 180mm gyuto Western
Masamoto VG 150mm petty Western
Misono Swedish carbon 90mm paring Western

Top Center

Catcheside forged geometry 240mm gyuto
Raquin 240mm gyuto

Top Right

Evan Antzenberger 260mm gyuto
Devin Thomas san-mai 1.2519 253mm gyuto (sadly this was sold about a week later)
Halcyon Forge wrought iron/52100 248mm gyuto
Halcyon Forge wrought iron/1.2519 245mm gyuto

Bottom

Wakui nashiji 150mm petty
Toyama kasumi 150mm petty
Watanabe 180mm nakiri
Y. Ikeda suminagashi blue #1 240mm gyuto
Wakui kasumi 240mm gyuto
Wakui nashiji 240mm gyuto
Kochi V2 240mm gyuto
Toyama kasumi 240mm gyuto
Jikko Akebono 240mm gyuto
Mazaki (JNS) 240mm gyuto
Kikumori Choyo ginsan 270mm gyuto
Shigehiro 270mm gyuto
Konosuke Fujiyama white #1 270mm gyuto
Mizuno blue #2 honyaki 240mm gyuto

very nice collection there Kevin. Where is the other Catchie?

Thanks, everyone!

very nice collection there Kevin. Where is the other Catchie?

Purchased a second with the expectation of selling the shorter one, which I did.

can you compare the Shigehiro and the Sumi Ikeda?

Both great, but the sumi takes the cake. Damn does that blue 1 take a keen edge. Plenty of heft and a fantastic cutter. The Shigehiro is a beast that does pretty much everything well, but it's more of a workhorse than a middleweight like the sumi. Both have really nice food separation.

Nice, but where the heck are the single bevels??!?

I have no use for them, much like 99% of the gyutos. ;):D

Back