Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that you do interesting projects by your posts, but I'm not a good collaborator. I buy about two kitchen knives a year, and my most recent two have been costly dual core--which fascinates me--not cleavers.
Wait I thought you were the one that was interested in those aliexpress cleavers in the first place. But no worries, I don't need a partner to collaborate, just someone to send me free stuff is fine as well.

Chef Panko mostly buys them--most "free ones" come with too many strings attached.

I've only reviewed one Chinese knife that was given to me--not a cleaver.

Depend on the Nakiri size I guess, 160-180 x 50-53mm no, those are just bit not there for me, but once you go up there's alot of good options, I really like Toyama 210mm, great weight and balance, tape chopping with those is simply a pleasure. Markin have a large Nakiri in BST now, 180x 62 is really good size.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nakiri-ШХ-15СГ-182-62mm.63523/

How many of you cleaver freaks gatewayed on nakiri?
I kind of did the reverse. Started out on cleavers and then bought what I later discovered was a CCK duck knife in Seattle's China Town from a great place that is no longer there. Used it like a nakiri for a year or two and then discovered that wasn't entirely right. On the other hand, a duck knife works about the same for me.

I tried a nakiri after I had a few cleavers. I liked it ok, but not enough to keep in my rotation. It actually got me really excited about 180mm gyutos. I don't feel like they have much in common with a proper slicing cleaver besides the shape

How many of you cleaver freaks gatewayed on nakiri?
First nakiri I tried was actually the Raquin from the passaround after using cleavers for a long time. A very good knife. Made me try a couple more. I’ve found 180 mm long minimum, 50 plus heel height and around 190 grams minimum with a light handle and very forward balance (and of course thin BTE) makes a nakiri “cleaver-ish” enough that I can use it efficiently. Any shorter and it struggles to cut bigger produce, any lighter and I’m doing most of the work and not the knife.

This thread is only interesting to me when someone reports on a new Chinese vegetable cleaver that they use or intend to use for cooking prep that might break new ground. Of the current 19 pages, there is less than one full page of material that fits at least that spirit--and many pages of gossip.

Disappointing.
I wasn’t sure initially why @blokey was so annoyed with you, but it is very clear now. I saw your previous post about this thread of “gossip,” and it is very pretentious. Also you seem very out of touch of what the thread was started for. You also are muddying up the thread with everyone responding to your pretentious requests of what this thread should be. And you are really starting to ramble on making little sense and contradicting yourself shown here in your two posts. So we are supposed to base the whole thread around someone’s preference who isn’t even interested in cleavers??? Perhaps, you would be better off just starting your own thread and leaving us who are really enjoying this thread to continue to.
I know that you do interesting projects by your posts, but I'm not a good collaborator. I buy about two kitchen knives a year, and my most recent two have been costly dual core--which fascinates me--not cleavers.

I wasn’t sure initially why @blokey was so annoyed with you, but it is very clear now. I saw your previous post about this thread of “gossip,” and it is very pretentious. Also you seem very out of touch of what the thread was started for. You also are muddying up the thread with everyone responding to your pretentious requests of what this thread should be. And you are really starting to ramble on making little sense and contradicting yourself shown here in your two posts. So we are supposed to base the whole thread around someone’s preference who isn’t even interested in cleavers??? Perhaps, you would be better off just starting your own thread and leaving us who are really enjoying this thread to continue to.
We're on page 34. If my posts have bothered you, that was not their intent. I'm here to learn and share information--and Chinese cleavers have been interesting enough to enough of us to go this many pages. I'm perfectly willing to revert to learning mode.

Yes, those are the issues. I really don't think the full spectrum of Chinese cleavers have been explored--AliExpress is just an example. I've glimpsed hints of others. You've shown great insight and I appreciate your patience.
Correction, these are not issues, but the Gold Standard.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything. I've purchased from a broad range of suppliers in a wide range of prices: both to develop my home cook collection and to do some side by side comparisons together with a Japanese collaborator.

Right now, I'm more interested in dual core knives than anything else.
HAHAHA, I once fell into this trap.

Dual Core Knives, all of the expense and high price, none of the claimed benefits that were promised.

Never again JapaneseChefKnives.com, never again.

The one and only nakiri I ever bought I gave away to a friend that I knew would not appreciate it and be able to give it the abuse and lack of care it rightfully deserves.

What ALL nakiris rightfully deserves.

MUAHAHAHAHA

I hope I don't step in a puddle here now, but I have some good knives, some cheaper good-ish knives and my beaters. The beaters are mainly from the IKEA 365+ series. I live in Sweden, very close to one IKEA store and within driving distance from the main site Swedish office where they design stuff...

...and yet I'm not able to prodcure their "chinese chopper" from that series of knives. Online, I've found it on the web pages of IKEA in Australia, Malaysia and India. But not here.

It's probably not good enough to warrant importing myself. Financially it wouldn't make sense in a price / performance-kind of way. But I'm still lusting after it sometimes.

ikea-cc.jpg

I should probably lust less after that and haul my ass to Cleancut, which is also within driving distance and have better stuff. Right now, they only have Dao Vua in the cleaver section though...

HAHAHA, I once fell into this trap.

Dual Core Knives, all of the expense and high price, none of the claimed benefits that were promised.

Never again JapaneseChefKnives.com, never again.
They are just mass produced version of traditional Damascus, pretty but the performance depends on the actual steels used and the grind.

Not much to add just to say that I have been loving my Henry Hyde Chinese cleaver. It's pretty similar in weight to a CCK 1303 but much nicer.

Think my favourite part is the lovely frame-tang handle, much comfier and prettier than the standard handles (stealing the photo of the handle from Hyde's instagram).

1676388846899.png

Attachments

• IMG-1461.jpg
    IMG-1461.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-1462.jpg
    IMG-1462.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I still use my original Japanese nakiri, with a slightly rounded tip, for rock chopping, but now I have a wider pointed blade on another knife that I use more frequently.

So, I use both--for different tasks.

Back