Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess thin slicers are not for everyone☹️
IMG_2288.jpeg

Last edited:
How will you actually grip the Hyde cleaver with such a forward balance point?

I have a chinese cleaver from him as well that I've been considering selling on because I just can't find a comfortable way to grip it near the balance point, so it feels a bit forward heavy. Granted mine has a longer handle, but similar issue (and its a shorter overall blade, 207 instead of 240).

I have a chinese cleaver from him as well that I've been considering selling on because I just can't find a comfortable way to grip it near the balance point, so it feels a bit forward heavy. Granted mine has a longer handle, but similar issue (and its a shorter overall blade, 207 instead of 240).
In mm where is the balance point?

Have you considered swapping the handle for a heavier one? it can make a considerable difference to overall feel of the knife. It may sound counterintuitive, but especially on a cleaver, even if you increase the weight, it could make the it less straining to use due to the improved balance.

I haven't had a chance to really really use it yet. I will report as soon as I do something other than grill food.

Balance point is right about the 0 in 2022.

I don't have the skills to rehandle it myself, but if it was weighted back more it'd probably be more comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG-1931.jpg
    IMG-1931.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Ninety frickin five.

351 grams
Pretty impressive getting it so light for such a large blade, but I think imho that’s just too far out. I was concerned about my custom being at 77mm at the balance point, but it puts it just barely in front of my two finger and just behind my three finger grip, making it still somewhat forward balance in the 2 position, but just slightly. I would rather it be back a little. But 95 seems like too much to bear. The handle looks pretty long but perhaps it's a little thin and a light wood?

Pretty impressive getting it so light for such a large blade, but I think imho that’s just too far out. I was concerned about my custom being at 77mm at the balance point, but it puts it just barely in front of my two finger and just behind my three finger grip, making it still somewhat forward balance in the 2 position, but just slightly. I would rather it be back a little. But 95 seems like too much to bear. The handle looks pretty long but perhaps it's a little thin and a light wood?
Are you looking at the handle on mine but Bill's numbers? Mine is around 85, and yeah, the handle is fairly light.

Are you looking at the handle on mine but Bill's numbers? Mine is around 85, and yeah, the handle is fairly light.
I was looking at Bill's. 85 isn't as bad, but I could still understand you not liking that balance point. I think it would definitely be too much for me also.

I was looking at Bill's. 85 isn't as bad, but I could still understand you not liking that balance point. I think it would definitely be too much for me also.
85 from handle means like 70 from heel. It's a bit more forward than I'd like. But it can be remedied with a dense handle. If u wanna keep it on the stubby side, then make the front part to the dimensions you like, then flare it out a lot toward the back. 130mm length with a wide backside and a dense material (rosewoods, ebony, ironwood, aussie dense stuff like gidgee, stabilized woods, etc) will bring the balance back a good amount. Especially if the current total weight is so low.

Back