Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just unpacked these two. Leung Tim #2 and #3 mulberry choppers. One for myself and a mate. I'll be keeping the bigger one (#2). Almost could've gone for a larger slicer. There isn't a huge difference in size, but the weight difference is quite noticable. About 290g vs 340g. Pretty stoked to try it.

View attachment 103333

What was the verdict? Enjoying yours...?

What was the verdict? Enjoying yours...?
I have only used it briefly and have been grabbing my other knives instead of it as I didn't click with it like I have my other knives. I need to get it out more to give it a proper try.

I have only used it briefly and have been grabbing my other knives instead of it as I didn't click with it like I have my other knives. I need to get it out more to give it a proper try.

Interesting...

My wife (who tbh has far better knife skills than I do, has worked in kitchens &c.) is similar - she doesn't touch any of my Chinese cleavers. When I first got one I was coming off a far lower base experience and skill-set than her in terms of using 'traditionally' shaped kitchen knives, and got the hang of cleaver quite quickly.

They are quite different things to use, and I suspect that muscle memory for people who have more experience with Western or Japanese knives than I did/do, perhaps means that Caidao &c. are a fairly alien learning curve. The larger one that you kept is still my go-to knife 90% of the time, I just love it, but I can see that they may not be for everyone.

If you didn't try already - my no.1 tip for using them is to use a grip with your thumb, and then both index and middle finger in a V shape down the other side of the blade. Without this grip I'd find them a bit of a pain I imagine.

Hope you're keeping well and safe in NSW!

Any European sources for CCK, Leung Tim and alike?
Find the markups in eBay compared to domestic prices ridiculous.
Shibazi is the only brand available through AliExpress with little to no markup, might end up getting a F208 otherwise...

Shibazi is the only brand available through AliExpress with little to no markup, might end up getting a F208 otherwise...
Not that I am aware of. The question isn't if the markup over domestic prices is fair or unfair or whatever you want to call it. The question is, do you have any other option? I just bought a CCK from eB** because I wanted to see what the fuzz is all about and I prefer the look of CCK over any other Chinese brand. As they're not available in EU I went for import.

Also bought a stainless (VG-10) Tojiro F-921 (thin) but I am almost sure it will end up on BST sooner or later...

The question is...

Might be your question, not mine though.
The point I was trying to make was that CCK and SBZ seem to linger in a similar price range if you deduct the CCK markups from the resellers - which is not the case for SBZ on Aliexpress pretty much reflecting domestic prices.
So I'm wondering if they're accordingly also range in a similar build quality or what sets them apart.

The point I was trying to make was that CCK and SBZ seem to linger in a similar price range if you deduct the CCK markups from the resellers - which is not the case for SBZ on Aliexpress pretty much reflecting domestic prices.
So I'm wondering if they're accordingly also range in a similar build quality or what sets them apart.
What sets them apart clearly is different sales strategies. Apparently CCK doesn't (have to?) sell through aliex***** and/or direct. Are you on German KMS? There are reviews from CCK KF1303 and Shibazi F208-1 (and others).

https://hkknives.se/collections/knivar
Swedish site, but I'd be very surprised if they wouldn't reply in english to email. They only have the 191X-series on their site, but they write that they have access to all CCK products, so you could probably just send a mail and ask for whatever you want. There's certainly a markup here as well, though.

What's that? You have a link to those comparisons you are referring to?
Would be interested. Couldn't find any direct comparisons.
I'm pretty sure I compared them directly for you in the other cleaver thread

Iā€™ve gone from a Shiro 1 iron clad TF to a 75mm tall nakiri, and now I have a CCK 1303 in the mail. I seem to keep wanting something taller and taller. After playing around with a Dao Vua cleaver, I find my grip on allll my knives has creeped all the way up, and I like it. In hand, is the 1103 significantly bigger?

the cleaver on there may be slightly wedgy due to the rapid falloff to a thin edge from the thickish mid body. on shorter stuff it'll likely be fine but in general, gradual convex while being thin enough would usually cut alot better than rapid falloff into a thin edge geometry.

I have a nice ChinShun (Pai 4). ugou.de offered that online, but the listing is gone. Sorry.

Mine was bought local, the supplier should have been tsienyen.com. Now they offer some Double Lions, Knives from Taiwan and some other. The model Taiwan may be worth a look. The thin one in full size should be ok. The edge cold be a bit finer iirc. Next month I can check it.

Been using this Sakai Kikumori Gokujyo, purchased from Miura, for home meal prep last few months. W2, 220x110, 470g. I've spent an hour on it with a Gesshin 220 trying to make it cut overgrown dense winter root vegetables better, followed by a lazy refinish. Great service from Miura and I really enjoy the knife, right combo of edge profile / weight / aesthetics for me.
c1.jpg
c2.jpg

I have a nice ChinShun (Pai 4). ugou.de offered that online, but the listing is gone. Sorry.

Mine was bought local, the supplier should have been tsienyen.com. Now they offer some Double Lions, Knives from Taiwan and some other. The model Taiwan may be worth a look. The thin one in full size should be ok. The edge cold be a bit finer iirc. Next month I can check it.
Good news from germany, ChinChun is available again. It was my first cleaver, my main knife til now.
218 * 108,
105 tip, 106 heel
370g
0.75mm at 1cm

Afaik it showed a small wave on the nail when new, first try was fun. Low reactivity hints a little chromium involved. Pics taken after some years of use. original size is about 24*18mm 48*36mm, first pic is out of angle
front
36858686fj.jpg

heel
36858687kl.jpg

look and size is the same with this heavy cleaver
36858114px.jpg

36858102eq.jpg

36858099wd.jpg

36858097tx.jpg

Last edited:
The addiction is getting worse...

A few weeks back I got my utterly lovely Shibata Tinker Tank, and thought to myself: 'Right, that's it. Your cleaver collection is now complete!'

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

And then a couple of days ago I was in a Chinese kitchenware shop in a Melbourne suburb and noticed they had some quite nicely priced CCKs behind the counter šŸ˜¬

In my defence - I have been looking for CCK in Aus for a little while, and they did happen to have the two knives I particularly wanted; 1302 and 2204 'Rhino'.

IMG_3401.jpg

Do I have a problem?

Do you have a particular use for the 2204? I know in China and other parts of Asia they are used as heavy duty butcher knives to break down whole pork carcasses but that is something I seldom do myself. And yes I have one I brought back from a trip, just have never used it for anything.

Last edited:
I usually make them bigger than other knives because 1) the steel on the Chinese ones tends to be softer and 2) the geometry is thinner over the greater height. The one Japanese one I had I did like any other J-knife though.

Do you have a particular use for the 2204? I know in China and other parts of Asia they are used a heavy duty butcher knives to break down whole pork carcasses but that is something I seldom do myself. And yes I have one I brought back from a trip, just have never used it for anything.

Ha! Err... yes... I mostly bought it cos it looks cool.

Having said that - whenever I buy a new cleaver my wife's response goes along the lines of: 'Can I use it to go through bones? If not then it's not a real cleaver is it.' So hopefully it'll keep her happy. And her father is a cattle farmer and we often have cows (or parts thereof) in the freezer, so it might get to see some real work too.

(Not that I'd have the faintest idea about how to butcher a cow!)

Back