Best TIP Kiritsuke/Bunka or ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perzua

Reaction score
Hello,

I need something for garlic, shallots with best tip.

Important for me:

- 190 mm max, heel 48 mm +

Less important:

- price :)
- steel, but prefer R2, SLD but im open. Full carbon is no problem for me.

Thanks for help

Lukas

For that height/length combination I think OP will need a bunka.

I like my Shibata 180mm R2 bunka and it’s around 50mm high. Cuts like a laser and is a laser, which may or may not be your thing, but I love the effortless cutting.

Closer to home you might want to reach out to Frederick Spare who could probably make you a custom bunka for around $300 in spicy white, but he’s running around 8 months backlog.

For that height/length combination I think OP will need a bunka.

I like my Shibata 180mm R2 bunka and it’s around 50mm high. Cuts like a laser and is a laser, which may or may not be your thing, but I love the effortless cutting.

Closer to home you might want to reach out to Frederick Spare who could probably make you a custom bunka for around $300 in spicy white, but he’s running around 8 months backlog.
I second shibata, I’m only familiar with the koketsu though. That being said it’s R2 I think, and… quite thin.

Left field answer is mazaki, the new triangle profile gets thin at the tip as the grind gets wider there. Idk how much the smaller gyuto or pettys are affected by this, but my 240 ends up pretty slim about 8mm up.
image.jpg

Yeah it’s bent ☹️

If I was in your shoes I’d grab Myojin sg2 180mm gyuto. Or maybe a Blazen wa 165mm Nakiri
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...-riki/products/naohito-myojin-sg2-gyuto-210mm

I love my Myojin 180mm - it has a feeling of weight, solidity, and quality compared to my Shibata bunka. However it’s only around 45mm while OP is looking for 48mm. The Shibata bunka is about 50mm.

I will say that if I could only have one, then I’d keep the Myojin, and if you can get one on sale then it’s not too much more than the Shibata. But if you’re going to consider short gyutos too, then the Yoshikane 180 santoku or gyuto are worth a look as well.

Last edited:
Or a hakata; Nagasaki style bunka/k-tip santoku.

I think Matsubara makes them, but Miyazaki kajiya specializes in hakata. I reckon the latter has more character. More island vibes :) ... just be aware that he's also a one man maker start to finish, so you might wanna adjust your expectations regarding f&f. I think zahocho also stocks 180mm tsubaki ...

Last edited:
I think a Takamura in R2 fits the bill. Laser, and in the steel you'd prefer. 180mm will be a good size for garlic/shallots/smaller stuff too.
It's this one:
https://mtckitchen.com/takamura-hsp...MIp4jW87iK-AIVwsfICh1FGQvHEAQYAyABEgL93fD_BwE
thought so, but he is asking for a 48mm height. Maybe Nigara got a SG2
Hello,

I need something for garlic, shallots with best tip.

Important for me:

- 190 mm max, heel 48 mm +

Less important:

- price :)
- steel, but prefer R2, SLD but im open. Full carbon is no problem for me.

Thanks for help

Lukas
1654088278855.jpeg

Nigara SG2 210 got ...48mm height approximate...not sure

All good suggestions above. You might also look at bunkas from Masakage and Y Kato, those are all pretty thin (I think they’re all Echizen/Takefu like Shibata). They’re in the 170mm range though; for me 180mm is my absolute minimum but plenty of people think 165mm is just great.

Or DM @MSicardCutlery - I bet he’d be more than happy to knock out a laser thin bunka for you.

Ideal option - find someone with a spot on Kippington's waitlist, steal their identity, and get him to make you a laserpony in your dimensions.

Failing that, check out Yoshi SKD 180 santoku. My TF Mab 180 has a pretty great tip and hits your dimensions, but I think it was thinned out. Dan Prendergast will do a tall 180-190 and mine has awesome distal taper, but in absolute terms the tip is oddly not as good as the taper would suggest.

I thought I saw a tall 180 from Myojin somewhere recently but can't find it now. If you can, that'd be a damn good choice.

The most ridiculous stock tip I've found was by Kyohei Shindo. I have the 170mm funayuki which is basically a gyuto profile (170x49). Taper went from 4.3mm over the heel to an insane 0.45mm at 1cm from the tip. You can find them for under $100, but the handle is trash, so you will probably want to replace it with a nicer one. He also makes a bunka which would probably be perfect for you.
https://tokushuknife.com/collections/kyohei-shindo/products/twxo8681qdf3qzab8rsxr2trpplsyg-8pad4

Ideal option - find someone with a spot on Kippington's waitlist, steal their identity, and get him to make you a laserpony in your dimensions.

Failing that, check out Yoshi SKD 180 santoku. My TF Mab 180 has a pretty great tip and hits your dimensions, but I think it was thinned out. Dan Prendergast will do a tall 180-190 and mine has awesome distal taper, but in absolute terms the tip is oddly not as good as the taper would suggest.

I thought I saw a tall 180 from Myojin somewhere recently but can't find it now. If you can, that'd be a damn good choice.
No need to steel a spot. Just add onto someone's order. "Hi, yes, Kippington. I'd like to purchase 15 knives. Yes, they're all for myself....🦜"

Shibata looks great but it is impossible to find in stock
best bet to try and secure a Shibata Kotetsu Bunka is to ask direct. that’s how I got mine (albeit 18 months ago). Email [email protected] and ask if they have any. That is unless you live in Canada. They won’t sell direct to Canada because they have an exclusive deal with Knifewear.

They live up to the hype. I love mine. Will probably never sell it.

The very finest tip I have, or have ever had, is not on a Gyuto or Bunka, but on a Wakui 165 Santoku I recently purchased from CKC... an INCREDIBLE knife for the money. The only thing I did to it was epoxy the knife/handle junction as Wakui does a traditional hot press into the Magnolia handle (no epoxy).
https://carbonknifeco.com/collections/wakui-knives/products/wakui-santoku-165mm

That Wakui Gyuto sure looks nice! If it was in stock, I could impulse buy that one!

Last edited:
Thanks but its impossible to find in stock those knifes.

Various retailers allow you to put your name on waiting lists for specific knives. That’s how I scored my own Shibata bunka - took a few months and I was pretty shocked when I actually got an in-stock notice but it worked.

Shibata had an injury last year that stopped his production for several months, but he’s been back in the saddle for a while so stock should be flowing regularly.

Back