bikes bikes bikes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i measured a few mavic rims some years ago and they were lower than 0,5mm oval so thats as good as it gets. dt's are also this round usually.

Here's a shot of my Lynskey. Titanium is a great material for bikes that you bang around in, not gonna get into too much trouble if you get it or yourself banged around a little. My bike shop buddy polished the bottom of the frame and then put chevron masks on it and then returned the unmasked part to the original mill finish. Really nice detail that only I know is there.

lynskeyWorldsFair.jpg

The problem with buying a frame and building a groupset on it is that when you buy a new complete bike, the groupset is heavily discounted. So unless you already have a groupset to put on the bike, you will be out of pocket.

I'm not sure if things changed in the last few years, but a lot of retailers were selling discounted groupsets, basically grey market components that they were probably buying in bulk for their own line of bicycles. They get a bunch at discounted wholesale to build their retail bicycles then sell the extras at a discounted price.

I'm in the USA and often the prices were less than what US bicycle shops were paying at wholesale. I have a Carl Strong custom steel frame and a Campy Athena gruppo, laced up H Plus Son wheels, and all other bits ready for me to put together but been so busy and not riding so it's all been in storage for a few years. I think I had less than $1500 into it, pretty good value...

titanium is forever... :) if youre lucky..

i also have 2 lynskeys. 1 is my rain/winter/snow commuter. its a cooper cx. and another one i lent to my dad, a procross 2018. with the helix and triangular tubes, for the bling.

The bike that gets the most miles is my Domane -

43191163565_2870eb8b72_b.jpg

I also have a cheaper gravel bike - a Diamondback Haanjo that I upgraded to hydro 105. I take that out on gravel rides (of course) and in the sloppy and/or cold weather when I don't want to plug away on the trainer. Oh, and I slapped a rear rack on it for grocery/beer runs.

I'm not sure if things changed in the last few years, but a lot of retailers were selling discounted groupsets, basically grey market components that they were probably buying in bulk for their own line of bicycles. They get a bunch at discounted wholesale to build their retail bicycles then sell the extras at a discounted price.

I'm in the USA and often the prices were less than what US bicycle shops were paying at wholesale. I have a Carl Strong custom steel frame and a Campy Athena gruppo, laced up H Plus Son wheels, and all other bits ready for me to put together but been so busy and not riding so it's all been in storage for a few years. I think I had less than $1500 into it, pretty good value...

Some manufacturers are trying to put the kibosh on that - a lot of UK sellers can't ship anything from the SRAM brands to the US, now. Shimano can still be had for a deal, but maybe not as steep of a discount as before. Merlin sells full 105 groups starting at a little over $400, which wouldn't be too shabby if you had a frame laying around.

I like my bicycles like I like my knives: too many

tLax5v0h.jpg

oJ3qPh.jpg

That Time was my dream frame for a while - I used to live pretty close to R&A in Brooklyn, and they often had one hanging in the window. Every time I walked by, I'd pause and drool for a bit. My first road bike was a Xenith, a Comp (105). Fun bike.

I spend all of my peddling time off-road. Despite being a bike friendly city with dedicated bike lanes, it’s just way too dangerous to ride around Philly.
73F3C714-65EA-4342-ABF4-7EA5CDF90DCD.jpg

The carbon frame really improved ride quality, but more importantly, carrying it up 4 flights of stairs after a 25mile ride is much easier, lol! Still holding out with the 26” wheels but might trade it in next year for a 27.5” 11x1 model. Thoughts on 26” vs. 27.5” vs. 29” on mtb’s?

The carbon frame really improved ride quality, but more importantly, carrying it up 4 flights of stairs after a 25mile ride is much easier, lol! Still holding out with the 26” wheels but might trade it in next year for a 27.5” 11x1 model. Thoughts on 26” vs. 27.5” vs. 29” on mtb’s?

I moved from an alloy 26er Pivot Mach5 to a carbon 29er Trek Fuel Ex a couple of years ago. Main difference is that the 29er rolls over obstacles noticibly easier. I don't really notice it being harder to spin those big wheels up but I haven't done a side by side comparison. I guess I feel a bit more in the bike than on the bike. I'm tall, so this is good for me. YMMV. Weights are pretty similar between the 2 (maybe the carbon frame makes up for the bigger wheels?). Both are 5" travel bikes. I don't notice that the ride quality is very different between the carbon and an alloy frame on these two 5" bikes (recognising that the frame geometry, suspension geometry and shock dynamics are different between both bikes).

It is theoretically easier to break a bigger wheel if you are tough on your bikes. FWIW, this has not been an issue for me.

Last edited:
BTW, my approximate order of upgrade BFYB for an MTB:

1) Good tyres appropriate to the terrain you will be riding on. Better grip.
2) A tubeless tyre setup and don't over-inflate (the Stans air pressure formula is a pretty good starting point). Better grip.
3) Wide rims. More tyre stability and air volume. Better cornering grip.
4) A dual suspension. Better traction in rough terrain.
5) A dropper post. Lower, more mobile centre of gravity. Major improvements to descending and cornering.
6) Fancy valving on forks and shocks. Better terrain following means more control over rough terrain.
7) Fancy frame geometry. Four bar, multi links, ABP, etc. Can offer better terrain following and reduce brake jacking... but... a good modern shock can do much of this work.
8) Stiff, light shoes with a lowish stack height. Better power transfer, less rotating mass.
9) Carbon wheels. Lighter & stiffer for more snappy acceletation and better terrain tracking.
10) Carbon frame. A little bit lighter. Or you could lose a kilo and be much lighter. I know I could. Maybe a tiny bit stiffer.

Probably more important than all of these is.... get the bike properly fitted. It's much better to ride a $1k bike that is set up perfectly than a $15k bike that is not set up for you. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
My road bike is setup inside currently as I'm in rehab for a knee replacement.

IeEqget.jpg

That is a baller Colnago.

2393A29B-7E46-4EC0-89A8-AE9710AE4117.jpeg
235B786D-8198-4A85-8056-B96C25C7DD8F.jpeg

I have a few.

OM flyer with rear pegs for taking the kid to the bus stop. Best bike for riding slow with kids and general neighborhood hooligan duties: jumping curbs, bunny hops, peg wheelies etc. Shown in full on dad adventure mode. I really enjoy this bike. It’s like a scaled up kids bike.

All City Space Horse is what I ride when I can get out on my own. Compass ultralight tires. Really like this bike. Not the lightest but very versatile and comfortable for long rides on all types of roads and under-biking off road.

I also have a Sunday Model C that mostly the babysitter rides. A Lemond Reno as a back up road bike. Also a vintage French single speed wolf in sheep’s clothing to ride to venues that can be left locked up.

in 1993 I bought this Cannondale at Cycle Scene in Ventura CA, I believe I paid $1,000...
I actually never rode it much, I gave it to my son a few years ago and he rides the heck out of it regularly.
He road bikes with it.

I sought out another vintage made in the USA Cannondale for myself, I'll get a pic of that later.

JpVlZqm.jpg

2008 Speed triple for me and I never ride much....

OpB0nnk.jpg

Last edited:
Just built me a new ride.

The stem in the pic was a temporary one while fit was confirmed. I've got a new Cervelo stem inbound and will trim the steerer down to final height when it arrives.

Very nice. I like the Speedplay pedals too. I only have disc brakes on my Mt. bike, but I really notice the difference when I get back on the road bike.

Very nice. I like the Speedplay pedals too. I only have disc brakes on my Mt. bike, but I really notice the difference when I get back on the road bike.

When I got my gravel bike with mechanical discs a handful of years ago, it was my first experience with discs. It was fine. After I came across a good deal on a hydro lever/caliper set and upgraded, it was a wrap - nothing but hydro disc since.

Just built me a new ride.

49551955048_35a0bcbf0c_h.jpg

The stem in the pic was a temporary one while fit was confirmed. I've got a new Cervelo stem inbound and will trim the steerer down to final height when it arrives.
That is one SEXY bike!!

Love all the bike photos (the pedal kind). @Matt Zilliox - do you own 50% of the bikes in Grants Pass?
@WPerry - love the new Cervelo. But its kinda snowy to be riding in the Twin Cities area right now, isn't it? You should be XC skiing and prepping for the XC Ski World Cup in Wirth Park bringing such a race to the U.S. for the first time EVER. I'm trying to secure flights myself.

Haha, We actually have a silly amount of cycling community here for who knows what reason. Jeff Lyon and Keith Anderson, Landshark, DeSalvo, and one of the group rides is with the first American to cycle pro in Italy, George Mount. whod have guessed?

but yes, i own nearly half of the bikes i think.

@WPerry - love the new Cervelo. But its kinda snowy to be riding in the Twin Cities area right now, isn't it? You should be XC skiing and prepping for the XC Ski World Cup in Wirth Park bringing such a race to the U.S. for the first time EVER. I'm trying to secure flights myself.

That is so very odd to me - Theo Wirth is about 5 miles away from me and I only know it as the place where some of my riding buddies take their fat bikes for a quick off-season ride if they don't have the time to go further afield. That they're hosting an international event is... yeah - odd. I never would have guessed.

Just went back East to get my things. Three of my bikes were stolen, the Seven gravel grinder, Quirós custom single speed, and the blue drop bar townie...about $17k. Had them under lock and key in one of my friends buildings and the door of the storage was taken off the hinges. Thousands of dollars in mint tuna fishing gear, reels, rods, custom lures, TV’s, pro kitchen equipment, turntables and electronics are all untouched. Kinda relieved I developed a c’est la vie attitude recently or I’d be in jail or a hospital over this. F___! rant over

Last edited:
That’s terrible. Sorry to hear it lumo.

@WPerry wouldn’t have guessed Wirth would host anything other than maybe a cyclocross weekend. Of all the parks in Minneapolis it just wouldn’t have crossed my mind.

Back