Bunka - like a Watanabe Pro 180, but with a tip?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestter

Reaction score
Getting the itch for a new addition...

I use my Watanabe a lot - wow that thing loves to chop, and like the look of the Bunka - mainly for the tip

First off what's the real difference between a Nakiri and a Bunka? Does it just come down to the tip and minor differences in profile?

Given I like the Watanabe a lot, what would you guys recommend to go for in Bunka style?

I like a tall knife is probably the one detail I would mention (banana sized fingers)

Cheers

I love my Shibata Bunka. However, I've been disappointed that the k-tip is not as functional as I would've hoped. It's great for draw cuts, but doesn't give you as much flexibility as a pointy gyuto (as the point is rather fat).

I actually keep looking at the Watanabe 180 Nakiri as the Shibata is very thin and keep wondering if something more robust would be a better choice.

I looked earlier at that Shibata (CNTG video) and it 'looked' like more a super thin 'laser' type. The Watanabe has more heft, but loses nothing to sliding through stuff. It's the best knife I have for slicing potatoes for example - next to zero stickage, whereas most others can stick like glue

If all others had to go except one, the Watanabe would stay

Yeah, the Shibata is a super thin laser - and it has the stickage to go with that type of knife. However it falls through a lot of product.

I keep trying to justify buying the Watanabe. I probably will, just need to space it out as a purchase....

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the confirmation

I have a couple of thin lasers. I find the need consistent precision with good technique - something which when in my home kitchen needs relaxing :)

A slightly more hefty blade is so much more forgiving

Other possibles I should be looking at?

Many of the Bunkas I look at have not much flat section like the Nakiris, which is something I like

458C2E69-A400-4B71-BA24-399E93B32EE4.jpeg

This is a 150 mm Watanabe bunka compared to a 150 wat nakiri.

With a bunka, the tip is functional. The angle of the edge relative to the handle comes up more on the Bunka.

I asked shinichi to put just the slightest curve to the belly, as I preferred a flatter edge also.

I copied a picture of a profile I liked, bc bunkas do come in a range of shapes.

The bunka is a nimble little knife.

You might want to think about asking Watanabe-san about a funayuki. The design and shape tends to vary a lot from maker to maker, but considering that he's in Niigata, he'll probably have very definite ideas about it.

If you kind a maker from Kyushu you'd probably dig the hakata bocho. Good luck finding anybody who makes them though. They're not in style these days.

+1 Hakata bocho might be exactly what you're looking for. Sanjo smiths (like Watanabe) do make them, see Hinoura and Yoshikane (rebranded by CKTG as "Yahiko Ice")

Thanks very much for the replies guys

I don't want to get over-complicated here or have to go custom

So, given a bunka will not be as flat as the nakiri, what might be a possible contender weight wise to compare with say the Wat, as I don't want to go too 'laser' lightweight?

Many thanks

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...nless-clad-carbon-kiritsuke-shaped-wa-santoku

This might be even closer, but I’m hesitant to recommend them only because I haven’t used this line. You could always just call JKI?
I haven't used this particular knife, but can't say enough great things about Kochi knives. I own a V2 gyuto and a V2 nakiri. I'd put them both head-to-head with anything out there, regardless of price point. (And the burnt chestnut handle is also top shelf).

I had a kurouchi V2 Kochi 180 K-tip santoku. Sold for reasons I can not really recall anymore. Awesome knife - now serves in a restaurant in a Prague. But it is going to have very different grind than a Watanabe - the wide bevel is very thin and gently concave.

You might want to think about asking Watanabe-san about a funayuki. The design and shape tends to vary a lot from maker to maker, but considering that he's in Niigata, he'll probably have very definite ideas about it.

If you kind a maker from Kyushu you'd probably dig the hakata bocho. Good luck finding anybody who makes them though. They're not in style these days.

there are craftsmen who make them outside of that region though... not impossible to find, but something you would have to look for or ask specifically for

Back