carbon steel paring knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOK-a-holic

Reaction score
I almost always use Chinese cleaver for mostly everything, but would like to have a nice paring knife (carbon steel ) .mainly for small things or when I want to do something simple like cutting a single slice of tomato, and don't want to clean cleaver over a single cut

Welcome. I go to stainless for parers simply because of the type of things I cut with one. Can't recommend anything specific, do recall owning a single bevel carbon parer that was fun to use but a beetch to keep clean.

This Misono Moly Fruit Knife is well regarded if you can live with semi-stainless. http://korin.com/Misono-Fruit-Knife_2?sc=27&category=280078

I would recommend Misono Sweden Steel (carbon) if you're not looking to break the bank. You also have an option between paring and petty. This is a Yo handle knife.

If you're looking for something a little more special I would recommend a Watanabe petty. Carbon core, stainless clad. This is a Wa handle knife

+1 Amazing knife.

I do love the look of the Harner/McLean petties too.

The Harner/McLean paring knife is based on the Sabatier Nogent carbon paring knife:

nogent_2.75_paring.jpg

They are available here:
http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_nogent.htm

Rick

Paring knife, I use Misono Swedish. Petty, Fujiwara FKH. I like cheap. :biggrin: If Fujiwara had a 80-90mm paring knife then I would have bought that and saved a few dollars. More money to spend on gyutos and stones.

The carbon parer I have is an Elephant Sabatier—good little knife, though I wished mine had a wood handle instead of POM—would recommend them. I tend to use my petty knives much, much more than the paring knives—use my Mac petty if working with piles of fruit.

Today's FKH aren't cheap anymore. They are unexpensive.

I don't follow. Do you mean to say that they are not cheap as in not cheaply made? I agree, they are inexpensive but well made. Or do you mean that they used to cost less?

I don't follow. Do you mean to say that they are not cheap as in not cheaply made? I agree, they are inexpensive but well made. Or do you mean that they used to cost less?

There has been quite a progress about Fit&Finish. And, curiously, recent ones weren't as reactive as the older ones. But still fairly gross grained compared to finer carbons. Not always a problem.

There has been quite a progress about Fit&Finish. And, curiously, recent ones weren't as reactive as the older ones. But still fairly gross grained compared to finer carbons. Not always a problem.

Thank you for the clarification. Mine really are not that old and I thought the F&F was quite fair. I like the steel, it takes an aggressive edge. :) I think they are quite a bargain. I will have to compare it to my sisters Misono Dragon that I just ordered. I have to replace the factory edge anyway.

Thank you for the clarification. Mine really are not that old and I thought the F&F was quite fair. I like the steel, it takes an aggressive edge. :) I think they are quite a bargain. I will have to compare it to my sisters Misono Dragon that I just ordered. I have to replace the factory edge anyway.

With both I guess.

+1 for Misono Swedish and Sabatier, if you want full carbon

If you are intested in white #2, SS-clad parers, Muteki (Carter) released some handsome pieces today. Take a look at their Instagram. 3rd from left to right is gone, dont ask me how I know :)

Here's my Sabatier carbon parer + water chestnuts. Though the Misono carbon parer is sexier.

cPp2apY.jpg

With parers you will have to decide whether you want to use them on the board or in the hand. With a peeler an inverted geometry is useful, as with the Misono fruit knife, or a Herder peeler: right side flat, left one more convexed. With board work better have a more traditional asymmetry, left side flat and the right one convexed. All of this supposing you're right handed.

I have a zKramer carbon paring knife that's nice. The handle is slightly larger for big hands, and is pretty nonreactive.

I have a small Victorinox 3.25 inch stainless steel paring knives .I have always been disappointed with its inability to take on a razor sharp edge. I don't use a paring knife that often but I'm tired of having something that underperforms. As much as I love carbon steel I could go stainless or vg10 for paring knife, as long as it takes on a really sharp edge. I like small paring knives no larger than 4 inches

@Benuser dunno, I find standard-asymmetry (think ajikiri) excellent for handheld peeling.. exactly *because* they get stuck hard instead of going in for the kill if you slip...

Back