Cast iron on induction cooktop. Long term warping?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to warp a 12" all clad d3 pan. Heated it without anything in it and it got hotter than. I though.
That is impressive work. Clad pans are a little easier to warp than disc construction. But those all clads can usually handle some business. My D5 has some nice pan-tina from being brought to very high temps. But luckily I haven't warped it.

PXL_20221024_213950317.jpg

That is impressive work. Clad pans are a little easier to warp than disc construction. But those all clads can usually handle some business. My D5 has some nice pan-tina from being brought to very high temps. But luckily I haven't warped it.

View attachment 204815

Yeah, I was surprised. But I also learned IR thermometers don't read stainless worth **** as well. Not sure how hot the pan had gotten before I realized I had a problem.

It is difficult not to warp solid aluminum. We used an aluminum rondeau with a lid to cook the rice at an Indian place I worked. 100+ pounds per day. It was constantly rolling and the we would put the cooked rice into rice cookers to hold. It was important that the lid fit tightly to steam the rice correctly. We had to get a new pan and lid every couple months because one or the other would warp and unfortunately they never warped the same way. It would have been a lot cheaper to invest in stainless steel that would have been much more resistant to warpage. But that's not the way restaurant owners think.
I can't put my finger on it why, but cast aluminium pans always seemed to resist warping significantly better than the stamped ones. Could just be because they're thicker though.

Yeah, I was surprised. But I also learned IR thermometers don't read stainless worth **** as well.
IR thermometers always read low for reflective surfaces. Some have an emissivity adjustment knob. But that is just more fiddling.

I do own an IR thermometer, but it hardly ever gets used because the readings are so inaccurate (reflective surface or not). I would use a contact thermometer instead.

I set emissivity at 60 since I mostly use it on shiny pans, but like michi said it's flaky.

On topic: I mostly almost exclusively cook on induction. I'd be more worried about ruining enamels than warping. Learnt it the hard way. Careful pre-heating didn't prevent doughnut heat spot developing inside the ALDI casserole. Nothing on my Le Chasseur yet, knock wood, but i reckon it's just a matter of time. Just the nature of the beast combined and cast iron heat distribution.

No issues with my other pans.... carbon, ss clad, various non-stick... no dramas.

I do pre-heat everything tho, considering how fast induction heats up.

Last edited:
Back