CCK 2021 edition

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, shes a beaut, my 1102 and has already made close friends with the Sugimoto cm4030.

20210608_214317.jpg

I placed a note for waaw1331 about that I'd like my 1112 stainless slicer and 1503 bbq chopper also with the old stamped logo. They are on their way, hope I get the old ones..

He isnt very responsive to questions n ebay I find.. but when I was still thinking about my options for a bone chopper, I noticed that for the bbq chopper there used to be "only a few left" and then suddenly there was more, so thats when I placed the order as I suppose he might have added more laser logoed ones. Only guessing ofc.

Yeap, it takes away some of the rustic feeling indeed... :/

Couldn't they have waited with this until I finally found a place to source one here in the Netherlands? Bugger...

Really love the stamping into metal, and minimalism of my CCK cleaver just wrapped in paper and a rubber band. However, CCKs have become so popular, that it makes total business sense for them to gussy up the packaging as they aim to expand their market. Laser etching surely a more efficient process when they scale up production. Good for them!

Glad I got mine when I did.

927C8196-8894-4142-A8DF-9FB11B3BF356.jpg

I guess it's not a huge deal. People dont necessarily buy this knife because of the looks anyways.

Surely my Sugimoto is better finished and has more premium feel in that sense, but I like the rustic charm of these CCKs and it was part of the reason I chose to order 3 of those. Big carbon and stainless slicers and a big bbq chopper in carbon (to a degree, since the stainless bbq chopper isnt available to order anywhere tbh).

Don't think I'll have any problems living with the new logos though if I happen to get those for my knives that are still stuck in fedex clearance here in Finland.

@Jovidah try waaw1331 on ebay? perhaps with a message first.. I have ordered twice now from him and he has delivered real quick, even if he hasnt been too big on replying to messages.

Couldn't they have waited with this until I finally found a place to source one here in the Netherlands? Bugger...
Like pertti mentions, try the ebay seller waaw1331. I live in the Netherlands too and I’ve just ordered the bbq chopper. Hope I will get one with the old logo but if not that is not a huge problem as well.

If you end up ordering more than one from waaw1331 and want to possibly save a few euros, consider ordering the knives separately. In a way that the first one has shipped before you order the second. This because the seller is stacking the shipment costs anyway and at least here in Finland we have to pay an extra 8,5% customs duty in addition to the regular 24% VAT for knives, when the order/shipping amount is over 150EUR.

I was hoping not to dive that deep into the cleaver-hole... mostly wanted to try a decent (and affordable) sample to see what all the fuss is about and see if it's my cup of tea or not. CCK seemed a good place to start.
So what's the most model to start with?

I was hoping not to dive that deep into the cleaver-hole... mostly wanted to try a decent (and affordable) sample to see what all the fuss is about and see if it's my cup of tea or not. CCK seemed a good place to start.
So what's the most model to start with?
1303 for carbon, or 1912 for stainless. I'd consider them on the smaller side for a cleaver, but they are relatively inexpensive, nimble and enjoyable to use.

1303 for carbon, or 1912 for stainless. I'd consider them on the smaller side for a cleaver, but they are relatively inexpensive, nimble and enjoyable to use.
Completely agree. Other cleavers are much heavier and therefore have a different feeling when using them which may be a bit strange for those coming from gyutos. Ask me how I know! :LOL:

Really love the stamping into metal, and minimalism of my CCK cleaver just wrapped in paper and a rubber band. However, CCKs have become so popular, that it makes total business sense for them to gussy up the packaging as they aim to expand their market. Laser etching surely a more efficient process when they scale up production. Good for them!

Glad I got mine when I did.

View attachment 130574
Also glad I got mine early. Love the stamp, and still have the paper - it looks fitting somehow.

40034C8B-8F2D-4C93-996C-DF358D34EE83.jpeg

5C965E70-F425-4C0B-8711-523DD6F97B2A.jpeg

I still use my paper as well. What do you think of that duck knife? I wish it was carbon.
I actually like it stainless, it’s good to a have a hustle free knife. A pain to de-burr though. I bought a bunch of them at the time and used them as gifts when coming home - they are busy in two pro kitchens in my home town now :)

How do others feel about sharpening the 1912 vs the 1303? Reactivity on the 1303? These threads have me itching to give a cleaver a try. I like carbon, but don't want to deal with Mazaki-like reactivity on this one.

It’s quite a difference between the 1303 and 1912. The stainless one is not just a stainless version of the 1303, it’s much thicker and more of just a big slab of steel. The 1303 feels much thinner and nimbler, with a nice tapering. Between those two, I’d definatelly go for the 1303. It came with protective laquer on it, and I’m ashamed to admit I never bothered to remove it 🙄, so I can’t say much about the reactivity. Very nice knife though, if you like the rough lawn mower-style blade estethics :)

It’s quite a difference between the 1303 and 1912. The stainless one is not just a stainless version of the 1303, it’s much thicker and more of just a big slab of steel. The 1303 feels much thinner and nimbler, with a nice tapering. Between those two, I’d definatelly go for the 1303. It came with protective laquer on it, and I’m ashamed to admit I never bothered to remove it 🙄, so I can’t say much about the reactivity. Very nice knife though, if you like the rough lawn mower-style blade estethics :)
I can see a bit of what you're saying, but it sounds like we have very different examples. I have the 1912 and 1303, both stamped and purchased in 2020. They're the same spine thickness at the handle, but the stainless has almost no distal taper. The carbon is nicely tapered down the spine but less tapered from spine to heel, and you can see the primary bevel grind clearly. The stainless seems like it was manufactured as a near-perfect wedge, given a quick sharpening and sent out the door.

All that sounds like a knock against the stainless, but I like the balance better. The distal taper of the carbon on such a small thin cleaver makes it not forward-balanced enough for my taste. Can't say how they cut, the carbon is still BNIB mainly because the edge is too warped to sharpen fully and it wasn't worth returning (maybe it'll become a collectors item and I can 'flip' it eventually 😂) I don't mind sharpening the stainless, it's nicer than the typical moly steel but only slightly

How do others feel about sharpening the 1912 vs the 1303? Reactivity on the 1303? These threads have me itching to give a cleaver a try. I like carbon, but don't want to deal with Mazaki-like reactivity on this one.
The steel is fairly reactive. Overall, I'd say it's similar to Mazaki. But for the $60 that I paid, I don't mind.

I can see a bit of what you're saying, but it sounds like we have very different examples. I have the 1912 and 1303, both stamped and purchased in 2020. They're the same spine thickness at the handle, but the stainless has almost no distal taper. The carbon is nicely tapered down the spine but less tapered from spine to heel, and you can see the primary bevel grind clearly. The stainless seems like it was manufactured as a near-perfect wedge, given a quick sharpening and sent out the door.

All that sounds like a knock against the stainless, but I like the balance better. The distal taper of the carbon on such a small thin cleaver makes it not forward-balanced enough for my taste. Can't say how they cut, the carbon is still BNIB mainly because the edge is too warped to sharpen fully and it wasn't worth returning (maybe it'll become a collectors item and I can 'flip' it eventually 😂) I don't mind sharpening the stainless, it's nicer than the typical moly steel but only slightly
My 1303 had a bit of warp too. I didnt even notice until after I used it for almost a year. But the blade is so thin, I just put it on a piece of wood and bent it back. It's still not perfectly straight, but it doesnt seem to have any affect on cutting.

I have both the 1303 and 1302, prefer the slightly larger dimensions of the latter. Both good.

View attachment 130655
How did you treat it those handles?

Mine was dry too, I gave mine mineral oil and then beeswax oil combo, but been thinking I might want to try treating it with something more permanent perhaps. That darker tone on yours look real nice.

Back