Cladded pan vs Disc pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a general database, weight isn't a factor when different material and construction are involved, thinner copper pan is going to weigh more than thicker aluminum. But if similar construction and materials are involved I'd say thicker means better heat retention and distribution.
https://www.centurylife.org/how-thi...tion-compatible-and-how-long-is-the-warranty/
Then I would assume the order to be LTD -> MC2 -> LTD2 as this is by weight.
This is assuming all the stainless is the same thickness. It is possible stainless has changed thickness over the years with different models. The trend seems to be thinner over time as we move into the future. So, it is possible AC has lightened up the inside stainless. Thinner stainless will change the heating characteristics of the pan because stainless is not efficient as aluminum. How much would then be question, maybe not enough to notice. I don't know.

We need the weight of an 8-inch AC MC fry pan to know where it fits in the lineup.

I think my AC copper core 10-inch fry pan heats faster than my LTD 10-inch fry pan using my Viking gas range. I like using it better. I am interested in trying my new on the way 10-inch copper pan.

I also need to figure out my LTD 14-inch pan as it has a much larger heating area so heat distribution will be more of a concern. The only pan I have to compare to is my much larger copper pan. I have heard AC made a 14-inch TK model fry pan but I have never seen one.

Last edited:
My copper pan is here already. That was fast. Time for fun. It is beautiful.

IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg

I am a huge fan of the MC and MC2 lines. I have a 10” and 12” MC2 fry pans, 10” fry pan, 2qt and 4qt sauce pans in MC as well as a MC Wok I got from @parbaked that is well loved in my household.

The MC is 40g lighter than the MC2, at least in the 10” variant

Last edited:
It sounds like MC is lighter than MC2 which would make the original LTD the heaviest. I thought MC would be heavier from what I read.

I noticed my new copper pan is not as thick as my old large one. I am hoping it will not matter in such a small fry pan but time will tell.
IMG_1072.jpg

Last edited:
You want to watch the thickness whenever you buy. For example Mauviel has different versions of their pans in different thicknesses.

You want to watch the thickness whenever you buy. For example Mauviel has different versions of their pans in different thicknesses.
Yea, the new copper Mauviel is a 2mm copper which is about equivalent to 4mm aluminum from what I read.

I always boil water in a new pan. It seems pretty even on the bubbles even up the side.
IMG_1076.jpg

It still looks like there’s a cold spot in the center.
It's the glare and the camera. If you look hard in the dark center, you will see bubbles. Using the naked eye it is a better picture.

Last edited:
It's the glare and the camera. If you look hard in the dark center, you will see bubbles.

I see them, it just looks there is less than around the perimeter, where I assume the burners is.

Truth be told though, that’s arguably better for a fry pan. :) I am a fan of thick 3mm tin lined copper, but my frying pans are thinner around 2 mm and perform the same as this.

With copper frying pans specifically, there’s really two schools of thought. Although most people only talk about thicker 3mm school of thought, 2mm can also work and are preferred by some.

2mm pans are designed to move on the burner, as they are lighter, and therefore easier and less work to toss food in and keep moving.

I do this when toasting nuts, or pan frying a veggies I want to stay crisp, etc. 2mm is an advantage here over 3mm imho. For things like shrimp and scallops I prefer 3mm.

Last edited:
One advantage with copper lined with stainless steel is you can go hotter than tin as the tin will melt. I roasted bones in my large copper stainless steel lined at 460 degrees which I thought worked great. It might be a little iffy with tin lined.
I am still in debate about the long run on whether I want the hassle of copper. I plan not to baby these copper pans.

So, for shrimp and scallops you prefer 3mm? I know not about cooking with copper.

Last edited:
One advantage with copper lined with stainless steel is you can go hotter than tin as the tin will melt. I roasted bones in my large copper stainless steel lined at 460 degrees which I thought worked great. It might be a little iffy with tin lined.
I am still in debate about the long run on whether I want the hassle of copper. I plan not to baby these copper pans.

So, for shrimp and scallops you prefer 3mm? I know not about cooking with copper.
I am a really big fan of copper and tin. Warning, I'm about to go off the deep end :)

I think people overdo the concern about tin melting. The only way to melt tin is to use it "high and dry" which means high heat and dry (no water, or oil, or cooking fluid). If there is any sort of water/oil then it will keep the heat down over the whole pan (even if the burner is on max).

The melting point of pure tin is 450f, but again if there is anything in the pan to help absorb the heat, then there is really no concern of melting. But once tin gets "seasoned" it will darken (there are several things going on here, I'll post the full article below), but something called an intermetallic layer forms, which raises the melting point of tin to somewhere in the 780-1250f range. Someone could melt it, but once seasoned, they really have to try.
https://www.vintagefrenchcopper.com/2020/01/a-little-science-about-copper-and-tin/
For comparison, teflon (in teflon coated pants) starts to break down around 500f and is burnt by 650f. So tin really isn't any more of a concern for melting than teflon is burning. Once the tin is seasoned, it's even less of a concern. But accidents can and do happen (such as forgetting a pan on the stove), and the nice thing is with tin, it can be repaired. Have it "retined" and it's literally as good as new.

This is also why people often recommend putting a drop of cooking oil or butter in a copper pan as it preheats. The oil/butter will burn and give you an alarm (burning smell) before the tin melts. And tin doesn't need to be preheated like stainless steel to be non stick. It also comes up to temperature shockingly fast, so again, no need to preheat. Put it on the stove, drop in your oil/butter and your cooking/frying almost right away.

If someone overheats a copper and stainless pan, the stainless can and will delaminate. I'm not sure what temperature this happens at, but it does happen. But like burning a teflon pan, or melting tin, someone does need to muck up and forget about it on the burner. Unfortunately once delaminated it can't be repaired and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if Falk or Maviel will warranty them from accidental overheating, as this type of delimitation is not really "normal use". Although I also wouldn't be surprised if either company did warranty them anyways, from what I hear both are first rate companies to deal with.

The only downside of tin is needing to treat it nice. Basically treat it like teflon. No metal utensils, don't overheat it, don't use an abrasive scrubby when cleaning. But if someone accidentally mucks it up, unlike a teflon pan, it can be fixed.

Now, after all this is said and done, my frying pans are silver lined not tin. Silver is even a better heat conductor than copper, and it's melting point is over 1200f even when brand new. I decided to splurge and get silver lined copper frying pans. I specifically did so I can try toast seeds nuts in my pan, as I do this often. I could use stainless steel for this, but for even toasting I wanted a pan with more even heating. If it wasn't for dry toasting seeds and nuts I would have stayed with tin lined pans.

Ok, that got long. If you're still following along, kudos to you. :)

Lastly I'll address the 3mm thickness. Once you reach 3mm thick you get a very even heat across the bottom of the pan. This is great for things like delicate sauces, and sauting. Everything will brown near perfectly uniformly. Which is really nice for things like shrimp and scallops.

3mm is really the sweet spot, as even large pans will stay near have near perfect heat uniformity (like large12.5" sauté pan), but it's not so thick that it looses its responsiveness. By the time you're at 4mm the responsive does drop off, nor do you notice any additional evenness when cooking. Here is a good article about:
https://www.vintagefrenchcopper.com/buyers-guide/buying-and-selling-online/what-should-i-buy/
As a whole, the VFC site is really helpful. About half of my copper is "no name", but is 3mm thick, so I still get all the benefits. About 80% of my copper is vintage. Much of it was out of France, and I had it redone there before it was sent over. Cost wise I paid less than All-Clad D3, and near D3 factory outlet sale prices. So it doesn't have to be expensive if you bargin hunt. All and all, I love it.

But... the final but... it will tarnish. If you want perfect looking copper, the upkeep is annoying. I prefer the mild dark patina anyways, with less shine, so I'm happy. I use copper brill every so often to keep in the medium dark copper range. Still looks clean and pretty, but not use it as a mirror shinny. I'm happy :)

Okay, if you made it this far, I should buy you a beer or a bottle of wine!

Last edited:
I would think silver lined would be a lot better than tin. It has a much higher melting point. I have my mom's old waffle iron and the cord wore out. I replaced it but I had to use silver solder as the temps were too high in the waffle iron. They don't make appliances like this anymore as it is at least 65 years old.

Nice article on copper pans and info. I don't know a lot about copper pans.

I will try shrimp in the future in both my pans and see if I can a difference. We have lots of shrimp in Texas during the season.

Have you tried roasting bones in your silver lined copper pans? It seems to work well for me. I really like the fond left in my copper pan.

I do absolutely nothing to my copper pans. Just wash in soap and water. I like the patina. I think I oiled the cast iron handles a decade ago. All of mine have cast iron handles. I can’t comment on brass handles.

I did another bubble shot to where I think you can see the bubbles are even. The camera does not do a good job with the glare as it hides some of the bubbles. And at the far side it compresses the bubbles to make them look greater. It is a depth of field thing with a short focus. Ok I added a shot from the other side.

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Last edited:
I would think silver lined would be a lot better than tin. It has a much higher melting point. I have my mom's old waffle iron and the cord wore out. I replaced it but I had to use silver solder as the temps were too high in the waffle iron. They don't make appliances like this anymore as it is at least 65 years old.

Nice article on copper pans and info. I don't know a lot about copper pans.

I will try shrimp in the future in both my pans and see if I can a difference. We have lots of shrimp in Texas during the season.

Have you tried roasting bones in your silver lined copper pans? It seems to work well for me. I really like the fond left in my copper pan.

Silver is better, it's just more costly, and difficult to find someone to do it. I only have silver on my frying pans. If you want to try copper with silver lining, I can highly recommend Jim from East Cast Tinning. He sells his new wares under the Duparquet brand, and has refurbished, plus scratch & dent items on the ECT site.

I currently don't have any large copper roasting trays (although I would like to get one), I typically use an aluminum sheet, or my large enamelled cast iron roasting trays when I need volume. I do have some small/medium copper gratins which could work, but not for anything larger than a turkey carcass. When I'm roasting beef bones for stalk, I usually need lots of room.

Last edited:
I am having fun using my stainless-steel copper lined pans. I use them every day right now. I am learning as they heat faster than my other pans. Also, I don't have to make a choice stainless, carbon steel, or cast iron. I only choose size as I have the 2 copper pans. My big issue is not to grab the bronze handle as it is always hot. So, I turn the handle away from me to make it hard to grab. It is a hot pad only handle.

PS
I don't know if the handles are bronze or brass.

Last edited:
I am having fun using my stainless-steel copper lined pans. I use them every day right now. I am learning as they heat faster than my other pans. Also, I don't have to make a choice stainless, carbon steel, or cast iron. I only choose size as I have the 2 copper pans. My big issue is not to grab the bronze handle as it is always hot. So, I turn the handle away from me to make it hard to grab. It is a hot pad only handle.
The Mauviel from cutlery and more? That’s great to hear.

BTW I really like the MC2, actually quite light for the thick aluminum pan.

Last edited:
I have the 5 quart and it does not do that on my gas range. Is that typical of induction? Never tried induction. I had to cook on an electric range for 13 years in my first house as we had no gas to the house.

Nice pan.

The Mauviel from cutlery and more? That’s great to hear.

BTW I really like the MC2, actually quite light for the thick aluminum pan.
Yes, my small 10-inch Mauviel copper pan and my old William Sonoma 16-inch copper pan which is really thick as you can see above where I posted a picture.

I have the 5 quart and it does not do that on my gas range. Is that typical of induction?
Afraid it is, on most cheap induction. With gas the hot air spreads naturally across the base. The $$$$$ induction stoves locate the coils differently to get around this problem. In about a year I hope to be able to report back with new pictures from a new stove.

My big issue is not to grab the bronze handle as it is always hot. So, I turn the handle away from me to make it hard to grab. It is a hot pad only handle.

PS
I don't know if the handles are bronze or brass.

It’s probably brass. I’ve never seen a pan with a bronze handle.

As you mention, brass can get hot to grab. Cast iron is worse at conducting heat (not great like everyone thinks) and they tend to stay much cooler.

For comparison, overall brass conducts heat about twice as well as iron.

It’s probably brass. I’ve never seen a pan with a bronze handle.

As you mention, brass can get hot to grab. Cast iron is worse at conducting heat (not great like everyone thinks) and they tend to stay much cooler.

For comparison, overall brass conducts heat about twice as well as iron.
Seems like a design flaw if they intend this pan for home market, Falker have some stainless steel handle that should handle that better

Induction hotspot depends a lot on the size of the coils, the size of the disc, and heating level. Other non-ferrous conductors don't matter much, no matter how fancy, be it copper or graphene (I have it on non-sticks). How low it can go also counts (preferably without turning on and off). Getting the larger diameter coils to run is another thing, but generally speaking:

Doughnut disc? Doughnut hotspot.

Multi-ply clad? Doughnut hotspot because of the coils.

Cast iron? Same thing (Heat up slowly to avoid cracking, just ask me)

I am not bagging induction here. I love it. It's a fantastic heat source, but it's neither foolproof nor is the best solution for obstinates....

For your use I'd definetly look into Fissler Profi or Demeyere Atlantis, induction are not good at heat distribution, there's sadly little way to get around it. The pan would perform really good on gas tho.
Plus one. I've never understood the appeal of all-clad, particularly for saute pans. For my preferences fissler makes far superior saute pans and demeyere skillets are better. FWIW, I usually cook on gas but have induction in a vacation home.

YMMV

I also prefer saute pans deeper than all-clad's proportions. A-C is probably 3 to one height to diameter, fissler is more like two to one, it's MUCH better for braising and all matter of slow cooking. I'd have no problems making bolognese in a deeper saute pan, but I don't think the all clad proportion would work well.

I've never been too chuffed about the whole evaporation argument, my deeper saute pans seem to work out fine.

I like cladded pan on gas tho, good enough and lighter, the All Clad MC2 is seriously good at tossing stuff around.
BTW there is another factory sale going on right now.

Back