• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Cmp M4 gyutos, and santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I wanted to just run these all together in the same thread for simplicity.

All these are cpm m4. All are 68 hrc. So basically as hard as you are ever going to find m4.

Asking price $650

This one has a wide bevel type grind. I think the spine is thick at the handle, good taper. Its quite tall. Ill get that exact measurement for height later for all of them.

245mm edge length

Brass and natural linen micarta handle.

IMG_20231124_233016112.jpg
IMG_20231124_233123615.jpg
IMG_20231124_233216753.jpg
IMG_20231124_233256696.jpg

Last edited:
Asking price $650

This one has a full convex grind, is 243mm long at the edge.

Brass and linen micarta handle also. Is a little shorter for the height. Like all of them i will get the exact measurements for height, spine thickness etc tomorrow.

IMG_20231124_234656254.jpg
IMG_20231124_234718074.jpg
IMG_20231124_234512826.jpg
IMG_20231124_234739716.jpg

Also i should mention, you can kind of see the height of each in the pic against the measurements on the mat. But ill update later with exact measurements when i do the.other stuff.

Its late, im tired, i still need to work on the m2 gyuto actually. I decided i wasnt happy with something. So hopefully tomorrow that will also be listed.

Oh boi… Should got into the pass around, they look absolutely beast
These ones are taller and thicker at the spine st the handle than the passaround knife.

That one is a lot more like the k390, and 10v blades i posted a little while back.

Love the WIP thread. These CPM steel knives seem rarely used outside of customs. At this HRC too very curious to see what it would be like to live with one and on the stone….

Must resist. No new knives until 2024

Glws!

Just wanted to say that full convex one is a damn temptress, a flaming harlot, a god damned she-devil, sexy succubus calling my name....

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

idk if I should wait for the passaround or just hop onto one...
I will say, the passaround knife will be a bit different from these. Just by nature of it being shorter at the heel, thinner at the spine, and not as long.

Personally i really like that style. But after messing around with these taller, workhorsish grinds. I really find them fun to use. Really satisfying to go through food with that weight.

Figured i would post weights here. Since i know some people want to know on them.

Full convex is 289g

Wide bevel is 309g

Santoku is 192g

Balance point is right near the pinch grip area, maybe a little in front just barely on the gyutos.

Its right at the pinch grip area on the santoku. If someone wanted it moved forward. I think i could shorten the handle for this one.

I might shorten the handle on the santoku anyway, just because looking at it, i think i wouldnt mind it being shorter. But idk depends.

The full convex.

One thing i want to mention. In these im purposely trying to use every part of the blade to show it perform. But it makes the cutting more unnatural. Since that just not how people normally use knives. At least not how i do.

Like normally especially with a workhorse gyuto like these with a good taper. I would just blast through carrots with the tip portion. Use the tip to slit onions, and the heel to chop them. Etc.

But these do fairly good as you can see (i think) for work horses.

You guys are missing out. I have a 4V version of a similar gyuto and it is excellent.
I forget. I did that one with a wide bevel type grind right?

Anway, yeah. Was pretty happy with how that one came out.

I forget. I did that one with a wide bevel type grind right?

Anway, yeah. Was pretty happy with how that one came out.
Yep cuts great and is very durable regardless of how hard and thin it is. Was really struggling to not get the convex m4 just to compare, but too close to each other that would be crazy even for me.

Yep cuts great and is very durable regardless of how hard and thin it is. Was really struggling to not get the convex m4 just to compare, but too close to each other that would be crazy even for me.
Someone on instagram i believe is buying the wide bevel. Waiting for them to pay before i post it as sold.

But if so, that just leaves the santoku. And of course that m2 one in the other wts thread.

But yeah, i think 4v, and m4 are close.

M4 is more wear resistant though, that with it being this hard, i think it likely might almost act in a way, closer to the super hard high speed steels. If it was me ending up with one, thats probably what i would think of it as. Its the only other thing you see at this hrc anyway.

Of course the carbide volume on this is still a bit lower, so it could potentially have a little better toughness than zmax. But its not always easy to make guesses based on that, especially when you start getting up into this hardness range.

Idk if i mentioned it yet on kkf. But i have some asp-2053 on the way currently. Thats what the next batch is going to be. I'll post more about that in the wip thread to not get this one too off topic.

The santoku, on a carrot. I shot these all the same day, i just didnt upload them all because instagram was being difficult.

Anyway, as you can see, no cracking the carrot anywhere along the edge. And actually pretty decent food release for the thinness of it.

Back