Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still wasn't quite happy with the f&f after yesterday's work. I went back today and refined it some more so that spine, choil, and new finger notch are perfectly transitioned to the blade face.

*I got lazy yesterday and didn't bother taping up the whole blade before starting, so there's some stray scuffs on the cladding. But this is gonna be for a friend, so I expect it to get plenty scuffed eventually anyways.

View attachment 232208View attachment 232210View attachment 232209

This finger notch is just super classy. May i ask what tool you use to remove material for the finger notch?

Still wasn't quite happy with the f&f after yesterday's work. I went back today and refined it some more so that spine, choil, and new finger notch are perfectly transitioned to the blade face.

*I got lazy yesterday and didn't bother taping up the whole blade before starting, so there's some stray scuffs on the cladding. But this is gonna be for a friend, so I expect it to get plenty scuffed eventually anyways.

View attachment 232208View attachment 232210View attachment 232209
Rounding off the project with a custom burnt oak mono. Got the handle in at right about 34g, so it balances like a ho handle, but feels way better.
PXL_20230328_000540683.jpg
PXL_20230328_000701835.jpg

Last edited:
Damasteel, which I guess you could call coreless as it's not sanmai. As a note It's always funny to hear coreless damascus as that term only gets thrown around in kitchen knives for some reason, dama is by itself coreless unless you make it into a sanmai billet. In the folder/fixed blade world, if you say damascus it's always coreless, unless you specify sanmai damascus. I don't know who started the coreless business in J-knives

Rounding off the project with a custom burnt oak mono. Got the handle in at right about 34g, so it balances like a ho handle, but feels way better.
View attachment 233857View attachment 233858

I have to say this is inspiring. I recently purchased a HD2 240 with a cracked handle (20% discount so how could I refuse?). I think I'm going to try and give it this exact treatment (small finger notch, burnt or bog oak handle). I envision it will be looking very nice.

I have to say this is inspiring. I recently purchased a HD2 240 with a cracked handle (20% discount so how could I refuse?). I think I'm going to try and give it this exact treatment (small finger notch, burnt or bog oak handle). I envision it will be looking very nice.
Can't wait to see what you end up doing on yours. Please share the results when you finish!

Here’s a pic of the collection (so far) R-L
Masakage Shimo 210 Gyuto
Shibata Koutetsu 180 Bunka
Sakai Takayuki 180 Santoku
Sakai Takayuki 150 Petty
Sakai Takayuki 210 Gyuto
Tojiro DP 215 Bread slicer
Mini cleaver from a Hillshire Farms Xmas set🤣

Attachments

• 8D644B29-CEC9-44EB-96E8-AB4D49202BB1.jpeg
    8D644B29-CEC9-44EB-96E8-AB4D49202BB1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0