Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2545D3B4-F8A6-4756-96D9-7F758E51698E.jpeg

Idwal a la Oli w/ pettesuki a la Maillet

That sounds promising, how is the edge doing in use?
Heh, I don’t actually use it, it’s the wife-knife. Being subject to a good amount of abuse, I’ll check it’s longevity over the course of the next few weeks.

It’s grabby through paper towel but smooth and eager through skin. Definitely trying it again on some carbon steel.

Heh, I don’t actually use it, it’s the wife-knife. Being subject to a good amount of abuse, I’ll check it’s longevity over the course of the next few weeks.

It’s grabby through paper towel but smooth and eager through skin. Definitely trying it again on some carbon steel.

That’s been my experience with a good ‘not-super-hard’ suita. The edge from my very hard and fine Yaginoshima Suita is a bit too polished for my taste for general use. The edge I can get from my Aiiwatani and Shobudani suitas is just right for a knife that bites into protein but feels like you can push cut it at the same time. For me that’s a result that my synthetics just don’t quite do.

That’s been my experience with a good ‘not-super-hard’ suita. The edge from my very hard and fine Yaginoshima Suita is a bit too polished for my taste for general use. The edge I can get from my Aiiwatani and Shobudani suitas is just right for a knife that bites into protein but feels like you can push cut it at the same time. For me that’s a result that my synthetics just don’t quite do.
You called it, a suita of the softer variety. Really gets cutting on edges, something I have some difficulty with sometimes.

That sounds promising, how is the edge doing in use?
76F98F63-219C-462B-8EE4-4A414100117B.jpeg

Upon subsequent testing on low mid grits… what tomato skins? Uh oh. I’m liking where this is going 🙂.

Upon subsequent testing on low mid grits… what tomato skins? Uh oh. I’m liking where this is going
low mid grits - what kind of grit area or stones are we talking about? what did you test with?

According to your reaction, things are going in a very good direction?!

low mid grits - what kind of grit area or stones are we talking about? what did you test with?

According to your reaction, things are going in a very good direction?!
The test with the nakiri was on a white amakusa / binsui from imanishi. A humble stone, slow to release abrasive and easily glazed. Roughly 2k or so grit, decent cutting power with slurry and some degree of burnishing ability. Another one I was frustrated with when starting out. The finished edge on this one was amazing good in food (veggies), but somewhat lacking on paper towel. I can see room for refinement, but the results speak for themselves.

The next would be with a red amakusa, trying to use it to efficiently set bevels.

Last would be a sort of mysterious iyoto able to produce its own finished edge, but also capable of being scratchy and taking steel on its own. I’m sure there’s another level I’m missing.

Much to learn!!

Another one I was frustrated with when starting out
Funny thing, I feel the same way with my Jo-Haku (a kind of white binsui).... and then it lay unused in the closet for 6 years. Today I like him very much!

I find your "test series" very interesting right now, and look forward to further updates on red Amakusa and Iyoto.👍

Funny thing, I feel the same way with my Jo-Haku (a kind of white binsui).... and then it lay unused in the closet for 6 years. Today I like him very much!

I find your "test series" very interesting right now, and look forward to further updates on red Amakusa and Iyoto.👍
For me it’s a very guilty issue of time - I always feel like I should be doing things around the house instead of messing with stones.

That said, my end goal is to go all natural and edges, from start to finish, are truly the whole point of the exercise. A worthy endeavour not to be abandoned. Next episode, AS sujihiki in bad need of a better edge.

😁

I actually decided to pull out an old but great soft/hard combo.

And I'm using water. The only concern I have is glazing. Should I be or is it a non-issue on simple carbons? Just doing some edge finishing, touch-ups, and some polishing.
Awesome! A soapy mix well help. A touch up in sandpaper will help, especially if you do it every 3-6 months. Even old oil stones glaze eventually. It happens to everyone if you use it long enough, unless you have an actual oil bath. The Norton tri hone seems to keep oil stones from glazing, but it's incredibly messy and tedious to clean. Everything has trade offs

I think I'm done now? The kissaki didn't take long to flatten and clean up a bit, I finished flattening the hira from tip into the tang and polished with 1k wet/dry. I put a hasty polish on it, after 3 hours my wrists hurt and I was ready for bed haha, I just have to put an edge on it and secure a handle for it. All in all I think I put in around 25hrs of work, which was less than I was really expecting :)

I think I'm done now? The kissaki didn't take long to flatten and clean up a bit, I finished flattening the hira from tip into the tang and polished with 1k wet/dry. I put a hasty polish on it, after 3 hours my wrists hurt and I was ready for bed haha, I just have to put an edge on it and secure a handle for it. All in all I think I put in around 25hrs of work, which was less than I was really expecting :)

Great job!

This rules, and was a really great restoration job!

This vid makes perfect sense - you lost your venev?!:LOL:

Joke aside, Norton India Combi for crappy house knives - fast and effective
😂

Venev is still around. It's in the backpack next to the filing cabinet.

Definitely fast and effective for these knives. And doesn't take 30 minutes to do, including setup and jiggling the goodies drawer.

Just look at that steel!* Great work.

Gonna make your own handle now then...? :p

* Or is it iron...?

Back