Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready for the big day: Moritaka and SG500

Attachments

• Moritaka_SG500.jpg
    Moritaka_SG500.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Tuning up my wife's Murata petty. It's her favorite knife and she picked it out herself. A little rust formed on the cladding and she didn't like that at all and is now quite diligent about maintaining it.

I sincerely thank you guys for motivating me to pull out my Arkansas stones and get them back in service. Used appropriately, they're no compromise. :)

ClfiRGSl.jpg

h6iv5Evl.jpg

Trying the Naniwa Gouken Arata 2k. Quite pleased so far. Sharpened a Kaeru WH and this (forgot the maker) stainless petty.

On the harder side of things but right where I like it. “Creamy hard” defines it well. Kinda feels like a softer suita (hardness wise). Great feedback, cuts fast for a 2k but finishes finer than 2k. Easy to deburr. Equally competent on both steels. Could easily be a one and done stone for good stainless and even carbon (although I prefer to strop on an Aizu or Suita after to refine the edge a bit).

I polished the petty’s bevels a bit and it started to show a mirror polish. Nice and even scratch pattern.

46AABC0C-9FF7-4C79-8356-C568F2A5DFEE.jpeg

I really like the JNS 300, but I find it a little slow for bevels. I am still liking the Debado 180. The JNS 300 takes those scratches out quickly.

How did you finish that soft, stainless cleaver?
Nakayama koppa around 7-10k 🤣🤣🤣. I mostly did it to get some glare on the edge. Gonna last about 10 cuts or one really hard one lol. I guess I could have left it at 5k but I really don’t like how slick the edge gets on superstones.

Talk to me about the finish on this one! Progression, etc. love the texture under the KU
Actually this is just the base polish with king 800. The finish actually sucks to use, so I plan to progress to other stones tomorrow.

My progression thus far is fairly standard for me. JNS 300, sp1k, sp2k, arashiyama 6k to "mirror" the core.

The spine and choil were simply sandpaper 120,220,400,800. I could go higher but for more rustic finished knives I like to stop at 800.

And the ku part I love the most about this line of yoake. I just did vertical light brushing with 800 sandpaper to remove the top layer of the ku, but leave the grind marks or whatever it is from the smiting.

Another day, another couple hours. Also fully rounded and polished the spine and choil.
View attachment 216525
Looks amazing. This may be a stupid question but something I haven't considered. When polishing/removing material on wide bevels...how do you achieve convexity vs just having the grind become full flat? I feel like over time thinning or even reprofiling, the bevels would lose the convexity and they would turn flat.

Back