D. Martell Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my basement. 6500 miles away. :D

We're going with the original block for #11, & Butch's micarta for the Glestain from Hell, no? :scratchhead:

Oh I must have missed the decision to go with the original block, sorry about that. Hey maybe I can find something cool to go with it up front. :)

Yup, I got ya down for maroon Butchcarta for the Glestain from hell. :D

Update>

Aaron your knife is done. I just need to take some pictures tomorrow, let's hope for good weather. :)

We're talking about knives, right? Just making sure I logged in the right forum, that's all

The smiley faces at the end of both your posts make it creepy, haha
Stop teasing Dave, just show it to us ... the knife of course

How was working ringed gidgee? I was expecting to see a little more "shimmer" based on the burlsource pics.

How was working ringed gidgee? I was expecting to see a little more "shimmer" based on the burlsource pics.

It didn't present any problems and was pretty straight forward except that it got lighter during buffing. It went from a pretty dark brown to a much lighter reddish brown. That's really unusual since most woods go darker when buffed. I was happy with this though, it made for a nicer look. Regarding the figuring/character/movement - there's a lot going on that the camera never got near capturing. I'm sure that Aaron's going to be dazzled by the wood in person.

I should also note that it's pretty oily wood and maybe that's why it doesn't shine to the max?

That's my favorite Martell so far Dave. Man that handle/bolster combo is making me re-think my choices now. Just amazing. Super clean looking from handle to blade. Thanks for sharing

Regards
Bryan

So where is #6? I NEED to check out this knife in LA next weekend! :D

Sigh!
Dave, although this time I actually do know the person who posted the question, IN NO WAY did I ask him to say that!

Number 4 is already in LA. In fact, if you are going to Jon's store its only a few blocks away. I could leave it with Jon if you wanted to check it out and #6 is not ready yet. Let me know.

-Chuck

Number 4 is already in LA. In fact, if you are going to Jon's store its only a few blocks away. I could leave it with Jon if you wanted to check it out and #6 is not ready yet. Let me know.

-Chuck

-Chuck
That would be awesome, Chuck. :)

Shoot me a PT and let me know when you're going to be here. I'll try to get in touch with Jon and make sure he's ok with it. I may have some other knives you want to look at. Let me know.

-Chuck

Sad day today at Martell Knifeworks.......lost a knife to the grinder Gods. :sad0:

awwww What happened?

The grinder ate it?

Wait! It's not the dreaded *OH* *GEE* is it?

I'm too embarassed to say what the problem was but really way too embarrassed to say what happened that really stuck the fork in it. :D

You forgot to turn the grinder off when reaching for your 4th whiskey sour.

You closed your eyes to sing along with the Jonas Brothers and ground off the edge.

You overheated it because you were stoned and using it to cut a pizza on a stone in the oven, then got so distracted by the pizza that you left the knife in the oven, which you also left on and it blew the temper.

You were stress-testing the handle fitment and snapped the blade in half.

You had a perfectly rounded spine going, and then realized the knife was upside down.

Loose operating screw in front of the grinder?

Sorry to here that Dave.

Back