D. Martell Dave Martell Knives - 1st run

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hungry3:Now that's what I'm talking about:EDance2::happy2:
By now you must have the grinding down so good it will be your best knife to date

I'll just let you guys take the arrows, and I'll take the land once he has perfected it ;)

Stefan

Have you finished a Suji yet Dave? If so do you have pics up? Just curious, so many pages on this thread. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Best Regards

Bryan

Update > I'm in the middle of many knives so when I start getting them out many will flow. I'm up to working on Colin's (#13).

#13? hmmm... I'm not overly superstitious but when it comes to sharp or dangerous objects, I stray from that number :D

So when do we get to see something with a wa handle? :D

Dave...I swear on my life that I didn't ask Kyle to ask you that question... :angel2:

Did someone say he did not want number 13? If so, call me, Dave!

Keith

unka: I was wondering how long it would take you to post on this thread again, lol.

Can you say....."Mokume end cap"? :D

Your F-ing with me right Dave??? I want them bolsters then !!:hungry::knife::knight:

Put down the swords and knives man! :)

What happened is that Stefan was sent pieces made for those types of handles before I ever started the bolster nightmare. I knew that he'd have less trouble and likely success so I asked him to proceed so that at least some of the mokume I bought could be used for something.

The problem for western bolsters + mokume + Dave basically comes down to $$ and a learning curve not matching up well. I'll likely go through more of that stuff than the 1/2 the knives are worth. It sucks but there ya go. :(

Colin, Dave knife #1313 will be yours and will include mokume bolsters. :razz:

Put down the swords and knives man! :)

What happened is that Stefan was sent pieces made for those types of handles before I ever started the bolster nightmare. I knew that he'd have less trouble and likely success so I asked him to proceed so that at least some of the mokume I bought could be used for something.

The problem for western bolsters + mokume + Dave basically comes down to $$ and a learning curve not matching up well. I'll likely go through more of that stuff than the 1/2 the knives are worth. It sucks but there ya go. :(

Just screwing with you Dave, Hope you know that

So Dave.

I may have gone crazy and ordered another knife because one of the knife makers I really wanted a knife from had a prebuy and I thought I would jump in.

But now that means I need to figure out wood for handles eventually.

Was wondering what the handle selection would be like at 23? I know you said you would be doing them in batches by that point, so was just wondering if you had any clue?

Thanks!

So Dave.

I may have gone crazy and ordered another knife because one of the knife makers I really wanted a knife from had a prebuy and I thought I would jump in.

But now that means I need to figure out wood for handles eventually.

Was wondering what the handle selection would be like at 23? I know you said you would be doing them in batches by that point, so was just wondering if you had any clue?

Thanks!

I would love to eventually get to the point of doing them in batches of similar handle materials that I pick but I think I'll take back what I said before and give you guys the pick of handle material on pre-bought knives. Seems like the right thing to do. :)

Looks like Brian D & Rene H are up next. Handles are mounted on both of these already so it won't be too much longer.

I've also got a lot of others in the works but I'm skipping all around in the order because several people haven't decided on woods to be used yet.

I know my times not too close but I realized in addition to yours and Del's I think I'll need to choose for the Hiromoto group buy ( although I think my friend for that one will like a girly as possible wood)?

What selection of woods do we get to choose from I remember a thread about woods you will work with but not on a selection or anything? What's the process?

So many fun decisions to make! :)

Stefan should be sending over a boat load of wood soon. When I get that I'll post pictures and let you guys have at it.

Rene, you're gyuto (#12) is all done. When it stops raining here I'll get outside and shoot some pictures.

Last edited:
Back