Demeyere Atlantis and induktion.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear the Lagostina is a winner! Looks interesting actually, tempted to pick one up and the pricing seems very keen (I have a few holes in my collection of pans)... Couple of questions, if you don't mind? Is the handle solid? How thick is the lip? (One irritation with ply constructed pans is that the thick lip doesn't pour so well - Demeyere Atlantis gets this very right!)

The rainbow stains are caused by chromium in the steel reacting with oxygen in the air to form an extremely thin layer of oxide on the surface. The thickness of that layer is stupidly thin (on the order of the wavelengths of white light). That layer refracts different wavelengths at different angles and causes the rainbow hues.

For all intents and purposes, the rainbow stains don't exist (other than visually). They won't interact with food, they don't change taste or smell—they effectively are not there. (The patina you see on carbon steel knives is much the same thing, a microscopic layer of oxide.)

Cook something else in the same pan, and the coloration may change, or disappear, or appear in different areas. It depends on the food, how much acid and salt is in it, how hot the pan gets, the phase of the moon, and whether a butterfly flapped its wings at the right moment on another continent…

Good to hear the Lagostina is a winner! Looks interesting actually, tempted to pick one up and the pricing seems very keen (I have a few holes in my collection of pans)... Couple of questions, if you don't mind? Is the handle solid? How thick is the lip? (One irritation with ply constructed pans is that the thick lip doesn't pour so well - Demeyere Atlantis gets this very right!)

Of course. Question are welcome!

It's hard to say if the handles are 100% solid. But they certainly feels and sounds very solid when knocking on them.

The lip is a bit on the thick side..I haven't got to try pouring anything from it yet. So I can't say if it has any negative effect.

Here they are very rare to find. And priced similar to the Demeyere Atlantis series. But I think we pay a bit much for them here compared to the rest of Europe.

The rainbow stains are caused by chromium in the steel reacting with oxygen in the air to form an extremely thin layer of oxide on the surface. The thickness of that layer is stupidly thin (on the order of the wavelengths of white light). That layer refracts different wavelengths at different angles and causes the rainbow hues.

For all intents and purposes, the rainbow stains don't exist (other than visually). They won't interact with food, they don't change taste or smell—they effectively are not there. (The patina you see on carbon steel knives is much the same thing, a microscopic layer of oxide.)

Cook something else in the same pan, and the coloration may change, or disappear, or appear in different areas. It depends on the food, how much acid and salt is in it, how hot the pan gets, the phase of the moon, and whether a butterfly flapped its wings at the right moment on another continent…
Thank for explaining. Nice to know what causes it!

That oxide layer helps ever so slightly with making the pan "non-stick".

If you ever want it to look sparkly just use some lemon juice.

One can find good deals on Lagostina Lagofusion if you look online, e.g. amazon Germany, France, and Spain. I’ve used several of these Lagostinas and still have a 18 cm saucepan, on gas. They are very good, performance reminds me of my Mauviel stainless steel lined copper.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, I'm thinking of buying a good saute pan, Fissler profi and Demeyere industry are my first choices, any suggestions on those? BTW how is Ikea 365 pans, they look kind like Fissler disc bottom but I have no idea how thick are those.

u get what you pay for, but with rapidly diminishing improvements. demeyere or fissler disc bottoms: get the one you fancy. i’ve used fissler fat less than demeyere industry or atlantis; but i certainly don’t have a case against any high quality alternative. i do like the silvinox surface on demeyere pans.

ikea 365 will work great, but probably not for as long. and it’s not sexy.

u get what you pay for, but with rapidly diminishing improvements. demeyere or fissler disc bottoms: get the one you fancy. i’ve used fissler fat less than demeyere industry or atlantis; but i certainly don’t have a case against any high quality alternative. i do like the silvinox surface on demeyere pans.

ikea 365 will work great, but probably not for as long. and it’s not sexy.

Thank you, I'm going for the Fissler for now, the Demeyere Atlantis is a lot more expensive here, but their heat distribution seems quite on pair.

Does anybody bond a carbon steel top to a stainless (with Al) bottom? Is that even possible?

Edit: looking into this more I see remarks like

Carbon steel is a good even conductor of heat. […] Carbon steel would not benefit from an aluminum core.

Carbon steel and Cast iron cook well enough for their purposes that there is no benefit to trying to add aluminum to them.

but I don't think that's true, based on the FLIR images Kenji posted.

https://www.cheftalk.com/threads/carbon-steel-pan-with-aluminum-disk.87134/

Last edited:
Does anybody bond a carbon steel top to a stainless (with Al) bottom? Is that even possible?

Edit: looking into this more I see remarks like

https://www.cheftalk.com/threads/carbon-steel-pan-with-aluminum-disk.87134/

They do but not as common, probably the market is too niche. But woks with ememaled bottom and cast iron working surface exist for quite long, theres also some aluminum core wok too but not that popular.
https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/ironenamel-classic-wok/
39e48259360d67d9.jpg!q80.jpg
Screenshot_2022-09-28-01-54-18-815_org.mozilla.firefox~2.jpg

as proof, pasta in 4 L of water, mid range induction.
Oh , and no hot handles is a benefit from induction!

20220930_173158.jpg

When a single-“burner” portable cooktop can be had for like $60–100, what justifies the price difference for a two-burner built-in ($500–1500) or a full-size with five zones ($3,000 on up)? You would think, if they scaled linearly, if there were seven rings it’d still be $700 to $1000 at most.

When a single-“burner” portable cooktop can be had for like $60–100, what justifies the price difference for a two-burner built-in ($500–1500) or a full-size with five zones ($3,000 on up)? You would think, if they scaled linearly, if there were seven rings it’d still be $700 to $1000 at most.
Wattage, plug in burner are limited to the output of the wall plug, in NA the maxium wattage is around 1800w, but with build in burners they can have dedicated power which greatly increase their powerout put. For induction burners the coil size is also important, for a lot of portables they only have 8inch coils, which will cause very uneven heatings in largers pans, and worse wrap them. Building ins tend to have much larger coil sizes so the heat spread more evenly.

Attachments

• proxy-image.jpg
    proxy-image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
From my limited usage of induction stoves I'm of the opinion that coil size is what makes or breaks an induction stove. It's likely also what you pay the premium for. Cooking on smaller coils even top tier pans struggle... whereas if the coils are large enough even more mundane pans like carbon steel can work just fine.

IMO; coil size and control, the induction stove in the current house is small and has smaller coils (probably fine for someone cooking for 2 using smaller pans) and adjusting power happens in fairly big steps. Features like being able to join two coils etc come at a premium that probably has little to do with manufacturing price....in the end of the day paying a little more pays off for me, how many induction stoves does one buy in a lifetime versus how much use it'll get?

I never understood why there's functionality to join coils when the coils themselves are tiny, in no way cover the entire zone and there's a giant gap in between them. It's utterly pointless if you ask me.

I never understood why there's functionality to join coils when the coils themselves are tiny, in no way cover the entire zone and there's a giant gap in between them. It's utterly pointless if you ask me.
under those conditions joining coils is pointless, but with a well designed coil shape and position it makes sense IMO

Yeah sure, if it's all filled with coils it's cool. But if there's a 20 cm gap between the coils... In general the zone illustrations are a big fat lie on a lot of the cheaper induction stoves. You think it's a massive zone but in reality the coils often don't even cover half of it.

If I insisted on griddles or the like, I might get a full surface induction like these Miele models. They have many smaller (circular I assume) inductors underneath and the pans can be moved, the heat will follow.

IMG_20221001_130210.png

I don't know how well those full surface cooktops would work with round pans though, so if my current cooktop breaks, I would probably look into getting a good quality "regular" model with round, well sized hobs.

The Fissler saute pan is a fantastic choice :).

Last edited:
I guess I'll find out, te Siemens IQ700 we chose has square fields painted on it, I am not sure how it's built up inside and I do not wish having to find out ;-)

An illustration for different induction hob configurations for those wondering :
(source)

View attachment 201201

The rectangular eh675mv17e looks like it could do well with griddles to me.

For round pans Im guessing the best might still be the most basic one on the uppermost left, when properly sized for the pan. I must have that type of inductors in my AEG.. I just just wish they were a bit larger. I could sacrifice the fourth tiny hob that I rarely use to get those bigger three. Without a kitchen remodel I'm stuck with a 60cm cooktop..

Back