Diamond stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm unsure how much the Dr Knives/HKKW one will end up being, but I don't expect they will be cheap. I'm unsure how much the 5mm practical sharpening ones cost compared to the older 3mm ones.
It was 420€ shipped VAT included for the #2000 and the #6000 5mm from practical sharpening. To be honest the #2000 is a 6mm stone. I shoud have bought all grits

Wondering if anyone could upload some slurry pictures from the JKI 800 or TripleB #400. Just curious what it looks like

Last edited:
Bbb 400 dried and wet pictures. Some nagura used. One -two swipes of included nagura

@Dr. Knives

Paper towel
PXL_20231216_031704598.jpg
PXL_20231216_031706828.jpg
PXL_20231216_031709217.jpg
PXL_20231216_031712714.jpg
PXL_20231216_031716936.jpg
PXL_20231216_031732730.jpg
PXL_20231216_031805115.jpg

Wondering if anyone could upload some slurry pictures from the JKI 800 or TripleB #400. Just curious what it looks like
Not the highest resolution but a few pictures of slurry.

Without slurry: JKI800 (top), FSK1000 (middle), FSK400 (bottom)
PXL_20231216_185744141.jpg

Just knife, no dressing stone: JKI800 (top), FSK1000 (middle), FSK400 (bottom)
PXL_20231216_191514601.jpg

With dressing stone: JKI800 (top), FSK1000 (middle), FSK400 (bottom)
PXL_20231216_192454406.jpg

FSK400
PXL_20231216_192523698.jpg

FSK1000
PXL_20231216_192539077.jpg

JKI800
PXL_20231216_192615649.jpg

How’s the FSK1000?
If it is like the BBB 1000, and I suspect that it is, it has become my go-to stone for sharpening powdered metallurgy high-carbide steels, from ZDP-189 on up to Maxamet. It makes them like any other knife, easy to sharpen. Sometimes I go up to the 3000, but that’s probably just finesse for fun. The 1000 covers a lot of ground.

The hardest NSK stones are arguably just as good for that purpose. I have not decided which I like better.

I have not been tasked with sharpening crap stainless since I got them, but I’d imagine they’d be up to the task.

I want to add another stone or two for sharpening super steels, not bevel shaping. How does everyone feel about the NSK? Cheaper by a good amount compared to FSK or BBB (although would love to try one out someday, not ready to drop that cash atm). I have a 400/800 venev combo that is just ok so far. How does everyone feel about a midgrit NSK? OR should I grab a higher grit venev to complement the lower grits...they are just so cheap lol

I have a venev 800/1200 and never use the 1200. Maybe I should give it a try again but some tooth is good. I recently sharpened my k390 petty with the 800 and it is whittling tomatoes nicely. Maybe the 1200 will be awesome on blue 1.

I have never used barkeepers friend on the stone which was suggested, just flattened for the first time with a naniwa nagura. Maybe I need to do some of that chemical dressing. Feels like it could cut better

If you are referring to Venev, barkeepers friend does wonders to remove buildup and glazing and gets it back to cutting. I also lap it on a SG500 sometimes for flattening and conditioning. But I’ve probably sharpened 300 knives on my venev 800 without any serious attempt at flattening it.

How’s the FSK1000?
I'm really enjoying it so far. At the moment is is my favourite 1k stone. Very hard which is my preference. Very very fast for a 1k, absolutely devours metal and erases coarse scratches incredibly fast. Tried it so far with AEBL, SG2, S30V, and soft stainless and CCK mystery carbon. Fantastic on all those steels, but particularly my favourite stone for softer steels which are usually not as enjoyable on most stones. Absolutely zero load up and no noticeable dishing so far. I haven't actually tried it with any wear resistant super steels, but intend to get something in magnacut in the future.

Actually feels a bit better after a short soak rather than a quick splash. I'm not certain how long it can be safely soaked for but Miura said they would ask thier FSK representative.

As some here are aware, one of the major producers of synthetic whetstones in Japan has been working on their version of a super vitrified stone for some time. A few examples of their prototype is starting to make the rounds and they sent this to me to try out and give feedback. It is a solid, homogenous, 20mm stone, in the same sense as a classic AlOx water stone.

One of the, maybe, unique features of diamond grit is that smaller grits tend to cut faster than larger grits. Same concept as the tip of a nail cutting better than a head of a nail, even though they are both a single point. Secondarily, fewer “points” can cut faster than many points. Using the analogy of nails again, a bed of nails can support a man laying on them, but a single nail, or 10, would penetrate.

This is supposed to be a 1K stone that can replace ((almost)) every stone of lower grit…..

Test one: the “Easy” test
Kiridashi with a blue 2 core and a mild steel clad
20 half strokes

Test two: the “Super Hard” test
Nakiri from Ibuki Blades. Hard and abrasion resistant stainless Hap40 core with a SOFT stainless clad.
20 half strokes at an acute half-thinning angle

Edit: after watching this several times, I think I see something I didn’t notice before…. It looks like the darker black-ish swarf towards the right is from the Hap40 core, and the grey-ish swarf to the center and left is the from the stainless clad. Kind of unusual effect.

Last edited:
As some here are aware, one of the major producers of synthetic whetstones in Japan has been working on their version of a super vitrified stone for some time. A few examples of their prototype is starting to make the rounds and they sent this to me to try out and give feedback. It is a solid, homogenous, 20mm stone, in the same sense as a classic AlOx water stone.

One of the, maybe, unique features of diamond grit is that smaller grits tend to cut faster than larger grits. Same concept as the tip of a nail cutting better than a head of a nail, even though they are both a single point. Secondarily, fewer “points” can cut faster than many points. Using the analogy of nails again, a bed of nails can support a man laying on them, but a single nail, or 10, would penetrate.

This is supposed to be a 1K stone that can replace ((almost)) every stone of lower grit…..

Test one: the “Easy” test
Kiridashi with a blue 2 core and a mild steel clad
20 half strokes
View attachment 288586
That's sounds very promising. 20mm stone would be excellent too. Following with interest. Do you know if there is a release schedule planned for that one?

That's sounds very promising. 20mm stone would be excellent too. Following with interest. Do you know if there is a release schedule planned for that one?

Sorry, not sure on a release schedule. I’d imagine it is still a ways off.

Ironically the 20mm came about because they were having trouble vitrifying two different substrates (?) (binders?) together. One solid mass simplified the process.

I use stone edge for sharpening EDC and pellers.

The bare spots are showing up in earnest now. Terrifyingly close to done with this 400 grit
View attachment 290204
Is that the substrate showing through? It would seem the end is near for that stone. How much use would you say it has had total to get to that stage?

I had noticed that the thickness of the abrasive has a fair bit of variance at different points of the stone. Around the edge I can see that in some parts the abrasive layer is +-1mm or so thicker than other parts.

Is that the substrate showing through? It would seem the end is near for that stone. How much use would you say it has had total to get to that stage?

I had noticed that the thickness of the abrasive has a fair bit of variance at different points of the stone. Around the edge I can see that in some parts the abrasive layer is +-1mm or so thicker than other parts.
Yep, substrate showing through. I’ve also noticed on all mine the final 0.3mm or so is variable in thickness. I doubt this one takes me more than one more knife.

Hard to put a number on hours or knives for this. But overall it’s lasted me about 1.75x the time of my first gesshin 400 but is nearly 3.5x the cost…

Yep, substrate showing through. I’ve also noticed on all mine the final 0.3mm or so is variable in thickness. I doubt this one takes me more than one more knife.

Hard to put a number on hours or knives for this. But overall it’s lasted me about 1.75x the time of my first gesshin 400 but is nearly 3.5x the cost…
Thanks for providing that comparison. I believe the Gesshin 400 is 23mm so still impressive to have lasted that much longer with only 3mm of abrasive. I'm guessing the 1k would last even longer for edge work.

Quite pricey indeed but for the time spent and work done It would take to get through the stone I can live with that.

do you feel it was worth the price tag now that you've run through it? plan on getting another?
I’ll buy another as soon as I can find one in stock 😅

Worth it? I guess that depends. For the bevel polishing work I like to do, I think it is. But it definitely comes at a premium price and I wouldn’t recommend it blindly nor do I think it’s required.

Hey,

As I said before I'm in the US for a few month and I didn't take my atoma 140 with me.
I do however have my venev stones ! Got tired of the feeling so bought a NP400 and a Green brick of joy, which are really more pleasant to use.

have you ever used a venev stone to flatten ceramic stones like naniwa professional ? Is it efficient ? Does it wears off the venev fast ?

Back