Eamon Burke knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is still a significant amount of material left after this. Any ideas for what to do with it all? It includes several stones in good condition, some nice leather for strops, and several pieces of interesting, but unstabilized wood.

I think Will got taken for a substiantial amount, perhaps some reserve for him?

A little info on the blades and finishing. I will do a wip when I get mine.
The blades have only a fairly course rub with 180 grit against the last belt grain. Should make flatting easier. They will want a good go on a 300 ish diamond plate, that will show any remaining belt marks, high/low spots which need to work out on the diamond.
After the bevels are flat, course muddy stone, then something like 1000 grit to finish on will be plenty.
The idea was just to have flat stone finish bevels, ready to be thinned as they are sharpened with every future sharpening.

Don't worry about me Guys as far as money. I had a deposit at least from Eamon and I would not feel right making money off a situation like this. It was a while ago now and while we all I have bad luck from time to time, I have also had plenty of good luck to keep me going.:)

Cheers All

A little update.

14 of 15 blades have been posted to folks doing the work. most of the handle materials have been shipped...but I think I failed to put some in a couple of the boxes...if you guys let me know who I missed, I have some more scales (ironwood maybe?) for a few more blades.

shipping some koa and ironwood blocks to Taz tomorrow for the 3 blades he and JohnnyChance are working on.

Will ship the final blade with a block of ironwood to Chef Niloc--so he can make a leather saya for Iceman91--as soon as I have an address.

Looks like we'll be able to get all of this material to folks who can actually do something useful with it (a.k.a. not me!) before I leave on Friday. Really happy to see this kicking into full gear. Thanks to everyone who volunteered labor, shipping funds, materials, and encouragement. What an excellent community we have!

Address sent

A little update.

14 of 15 blades have been posted to folks doing the work. most of the handle materials have been shipped...but I think I failed to put some in a couple of the boxes...if you guys let me know who I missed, I have some more scales (ironwood maybe?) for a few more blades.

shipping some koa and ironwood blocks to Taz tomorrow for the 3 blades he and JohnnyChance are working on.

Will ship the final blade with a block of ironwood to Chef Niloc--so he can make a leather saya for Iceman91--as soon as I have an address.

Looks like we'll be able to get all of this material to folks who can actually do something useful with it (a.k.a. not me!) before I leave on Friday. Really happy to see this kicking into full gear. Thanks to everyone who volunteered labor, shipping funds, materials, and encouragement. What an excellent community we have!

Address sent

Wasn't trying to bust you...sorry if it seemed that way.

Package is ready for USPS to pickup tomorrow. That means ALL of the blades will be out for finishing work as of tomorrow. The sayas only need a finish coat and holes for pins (we're waiting for a finaly tally of drilled/undrilled for that).

Much has been accomplished in the last 7ish days.

:plus1:

JohnnyChance and Taz did an awesome job with getting the sayas ready...and so quickly too!
It looks like Johnny's pics were deleted due to some rules about posting work done. They were done at 400 grit, with son's donated wood.

It looks like Johnny's pics were deleted due to some rules about posting work done. They were done at 400 grit, with son's donated wood.

I never even saw that they were posted...yeah, I think WillC is the only one that will be able to post any WiPs. For those of you that know me off the forum, I'm happy to point you to the photos. I'm sure the same would go for JohnnyChance + Taz.

This is amazing, guys! Keep up the great work.

I've not been on this forum during the last couple months. Remarkable effort by Will and all you others. Quite remarkable. I paid Eamon for one of these too.... I'm counting that one as lost with the wind. I just received two stainless knives from Will that I commissioned last year. Wow, they make up for the "windage".

Kudos to you all!

Matt

Matt,

I just checked the spreadsheet and confired that we have two of these that have no named recipient. I put you down for one of them.

Z

Matt,

I just checked the spreadsheet and confired that we have two of these that have no named recipient. I put you down for one of them.

Z

Hey man, thanks, but I'm good. Ive not read all 41 pages of this thread, so I don't know..... But if there is a blade already made out there somewhere, my request would be give it to Sachem and he can do with it as he pleases.

Regards

Matt

Good to see you back, Matt! If you're really not wanting to get the knife, I think putting the names of those who helped outpout into the kitty and drawing the knife is the best thing to do. It's up to everyone, but it's a thought.

Thanks to a very helpful Elf....we have all the Saya done. Thanks!

That Elf's work looks most familiar. Should be on this forum. Great team we have here.

Will I am glad you posted those. They needed to be seen by more than 1 person on the forum. Really stunning work.

And props to Son for donating this awesome cocobola. Great work all the way around, thanks for getting this up WillC.

Is everything going OK with the work on handles/finishing/etc.? Does anybody need anything?

I have zee package! Excellent work, I will try and find a few hours this week to start. ;)

These three are done. Please let me know where to send them.

Handles are black paper micarta and bocote.

Hoss

002.jpg

004.jpg

Thanks everyone for doing this, You guys are awesome. Now who wants to make me some sayas.lol Got no more money and nothing else to give away. counted all the knives I originally traded for sayas and rehandle work and it comes out to 11 sayas and 2 rehandles. If anyone is interested I would be most appreciative if not I understand, I'll just old school them (cardboard and electrical tape.lol Maybe I can find some really big mouse traps.

Son, shoot me a pm, I'd do a saya or two for you.....

Chris

These three are done. Please let me know where to send them.

Handles are black paper micarta and bocote.

Hoss

Those look excellent Hoss!

Not sure how to start assigning knives to particular recipients. I'll just start at the top of the spreadsheet and work down from there I guess. that means these three would go to:

Iceman91
Justin0505
WildBoar

I don't have anything in my notes about special materials for the blade for you and you are at the top of the list.

Also: do you want your Sayas pre-drilled for pins? or would you rather do that yourself?

I'll send PM's to make sure everyone sees this.

Those look amazing -- it's a sexy little knife. Almost makes me wish I hadn't given mine up, but it will definitely make a person very pleased.

k.

Latest posts

Back