favorite 270s?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big fan of 270s.

My favourite 3 are (in no particular order):

Watanabe ironclad.

Mizuno Akitada Hontanren.

Akebono.

Honourable mentions go to:

Shiro Kamo Syousin Suminagashi.

Tanaka R2 damascus.

Kurosaki Shizuku.

Shukenari YXR7

I'm pretty keen to see how my Hiromoto Honyaki performs when I finally get around to thinning it.

I posted earlier stating that my favorite was from monsieur Puig, but it has gotten some pretty stiff competition from Herr Heldqvist!

270*64 (!) clocking in at 285 grams and 10 mm out of the handle. The front 1/2 is really nice and thin with slight convexity and the back half has more of a low bevel WH to it without any significant wedging. Gorgeous stuff too.
1000013333.jpg
1000013312.jpg
1000013311.jpg

I think we need someone to try the 270mm Okubo Kajiya Takenoko Nakiri. My custom 254x118 is awesome.

Got a 260 x60 gyuto on the way from Sweden. From Christian Dam. Will report back. Wasn’t going to get another gyuto, but this thing looks and sounds amazing.

I think we need someone to try the 270mm Okubo Kajiya Takenoko Nakiri. My custom 254x118 is awesome.

Got a 260 x60 gyuto on the way from Sweden. From Christian Dam. Will report back. Wasn’t going to get another gyuto, but this thing looks and sounds amazing.
I had been saving my 270 virginity for a Tanaka ginsan or @M1k3 's Munetoshi once I can bribe one of the passaround members for his address...but I think a 270 Okubo gyuto would be great fun. Don't think I'm man enough to get a 270 rectangle but my gyuto is 256x57 and doesn't feel unwieldy in the slightest. Just authoritative.

I had been saving my 270 virginity for a Tanaka ginsan or @M1k3 's Munetoshi once I can bribe one of the passaround members for his address...but I think a 270 Okubo gyuto would be great fun. Don't think I'm man enough to get a 270 rectangle but my gyuto is 256x57 and doesn't feel unwieldy in the slightest. Just authoritative.
I'll give you my address.
Just bring a 270mm Kippington fish hook or that Isasmedjan @HolyDiverScallop bought off BST.

Unfortunately until he works out his handle shortage all Okubo products are suspended other than the ones he makes the handles for like his takenoko nakiri-bocho remains available for order. He makes those handles himself. I think we also over worked him. It is just him and his son in a small forge and he makes stuff for the locals, fixes tools for the locals and gives tours of his place.

Without the extra height added weight his regular 270 takenoko Nakiri bocho may not weigh much different than mine. Although that is still a heavy weight, but I like it.

I am really looking forward to a 260x60 gyuto. I think the height and length might be perfect for me. Even though I mostly use the rectangles.
The cladding is a mixture of dirty wrought that was refined to approximately 50 layers per side ish Core steel is 135cr3 stone kasumi finish. With stained Bubinga and Rosewood handle. So all that kind of helped me decide I wanted another gyuto.

Unfortunately until he works out his handle shortage all Okubo products are suspended other than the ones he makes the handles for like his takenoko nakiri-bocho remains available for order. He makes those handles himself. I think we also over worked him. It is just him and his son in a small forge and he makes stuff for the locals, fixes tools for the locals and gives tours of his place.

Without the extra height added weight his regular 270 takenoko Nakiri bocho may not weigh much different than mine. Although that is still a heavy weight, but I like it.

I am really looking forward to a 260x60 gyuto. I think the height and length might be perfect for me. Even though I mostly use the rectangles.
The cladding is a mixture of dirty wrought that was refined to approximately 50 layers per side ish Core steel is 135cr3 stone kasumi finish. With stained Bubinga and Rosewood handle. So all that kind of helped me decide I wanted another gyuto.
Good thing I ordered an extra longboi handle from Okubo when I had the chance! I ended up liking the one from my 250 so much I got another when he shipped the 180. The light, grippy wood is enjoyable, I'll be bummed if he switches suppliers. Though I think the 210 big nakiri is up first for me in the pecking order anyway.

I think that 260x60 should work well for you as a rectangler. My Eddworks is 253x60, I actually asked for it to feel like a nakiri at the heel. That tall heel gives me the scoopability of a tangle and makes it loads more enjoyable.

Had a 270 kemadi bulat that was SWEET. Also used an iron clad white 1 matsubara from a local chop that was quite fun. About 55ish tall, fairly thin, nice easy profile…. With a bit of polishing a few roughish edges…. This is a ton of knife that’s very easy to use for the money.
67929144172__EF3FFBB0-6F0C-4139-90AA-DA22B34B0E97.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

Watanabe is, in my opinion, THE 270mm gyuto to have. Beefcake that can slice through a stack of carrots without cracking them. My Eddworks is in a similar category for 270s

Back