favorite 270s?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
270 is too long for me for the most part, but years ago I had a wonderful stainless clad Wakui that I ended up gifting.

really fantastic knife.

Kamon comes to mind when thinking about a maker who can make a big knife feel small(er). My 260 feels very nimble. Kono 270 FM (and probably MM) also come to mind. Had one for a month or two that was absolute fire. Only reason I sold it is it felt big in my small kitchen. The weight scales really nicely with size on those. Agree with @blokey. Sakai 270 aka 255-260 would be my preferred 270 lol.

Last edited:
I really like what Aidan Klint (agklint.se) is doing with his big gyuto's. Thick out of the handle with his S-grind bringing the overal weight down while having amazing food release. Grinds are great as well and he knows what he's doing with his steel. The big gyuto I have from him is a favorite for big prep sessions (although at 280 a bit bigger than the 270mm you asked for 😂)

I have a NOS Minamoto and a old Masamoto HC 270, and they are much more nimble than modern ones I've seen. Don't know if that's a general tendency to make larger yo's today heavier, but wouldn't be surprised.

These days my Birgersson 262

web.jpg

I have a NOS Minamoto and a old Masamoto HC 270, and they are much more nimble than modern ones I've seen. Don't know if that's a general tendency to make larger yo's today heavier, but wouldn't be surprised.

I assume the Minamoto has some amount of flex, specially near the tip. Do you find it excessive of too noticeable in use? I’m about to buy one of those, just wondering if it feels too flimsy on the board.

I assume the Minamoto has some amount of flex, specially near the tip. Do you find it excessive of too noticeable in use? I’m about to buy one of those, just wondering if it feels too flimsy on the board.
True, but hardly noticeable. My Misono 240 30 years ago had much more flex, still without being a problem. Today's Misono not at all.

Last edited:
I started this thread wanting a 270 but just realized I actually want a 255-260 haha. Still bummed I missed the western Itinomonn, at 258mm it had the perfect specs. Need to start browsing the 270 Sakai section…

My vote goes to a 270mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan HAP-40 Series Wa-Gyuto. I've enjoyed it so much that I grabbed a matching 210mm (See Below.) It's amazing how long these knives keep a freaky-sharp edge. HRC is 68.

The one at the top is a 270mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Wa-Kiritsuke. HRC is 65.

Attachments

• 3 super hard steel knives.jpg
    3 super hard steel knives.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My vote goes to a 270mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan HAP-40 Series Wa-Gyuto. I've enjoyed it so much that I grabbed a matching 210mm (See Below.) It's amazing how long these knives keep a freaky-sharp edge. HRC is 68.

The one at the top is a 270mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Wa-Kiritsuke. HRC is 65.
ooh I like this... slightly undersized to boot.

any idea who is the maker? is it too burdensome to sharpen?

edit: just saw their website, it's Sukenari... good stuff

Choppin,

You indeed are correct. Sukenari makes this particular series. Sharpening with either the HAP-40 or ZDP-189 can be done with ease if you use the right stones. I use a series of the Sigma Power Select II water stones, specifically the 1000, 6000 and 13000. They're perfect for harder steels. I'd also recommend a series of the Shapton Glass stones: 320, 2000, 4000 and 8000. Just remember that these hard metals will keep their freaky edge for a long time.

There are a couple Youtube videos about how to sharpen either of these steels.

RU

My favorite was the Sukenari 270 dammy ZDP I had. More like a 262 than a 270. And so pretty.

View attachment 262292

I also like my 11" vintage K Sab, but that's on the other end of the spectrum.

I love my vintage Canadian style K-Sab, also 11”. Great size for a vintage Sab IMO, plenty length for a gradual distal taper, generous flat spot and height.

I love my vintage Canadian style K-Sab, also 11”. Great size for a vintage Sab IMO, plenty length for a gradual distal taper, generous flat spot and height.

Agreed 100%. The size is perfect for a large knife. Mine is right around 280 x 55 with nice distal taper and an enormous flat spot. The heel is chunky enough to smash through chicken bones but the tip is relatively nimble. if I had my druthers, I would have the bolster removed and harden up the heat treatment… but the big bolster and soft carbon are so iconic to the vintage Sab experience that I’m not really complaining.

Here’s mine sandwiched between the Sukenari 270 and my old freakshow 300mm Takeda.

1692063553050.jpeg

Agreed 100%. The size is perfect for a large knife. Mine is right around 280 x 55 with nice distal taper and an enormous flat spot. The heel is chunky enough to smash through chicken bones but the tip is relatively nimble. if I had my druthers, I would have the bolster removed and harden up the heat treatment… but the big bolster and soft carbon are so iconic to the vintage Sab experience that I’m not really complaining.

Here’s mine sandwiched between the Sukenari 270 and my old freakshow 300mm Takeda.

View attachment 262314

Beauty! Here is mine, same dimensions.

Yeah I’m not a fan of the bolster either but a Sab with a removed or too altered bolster just looks weird to me. The former owner lowered the first cm or so to make it flush with the blade face, that works well without changing the looks too much.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.jpeg
    IMG_1816.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Back