Feedback thread?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know we have a flipper alert thread on here, but has there ever been an attempt at making a thread for positive experiences?

Year and years ago on a different forum for a different hobby, there was this thread that let people say something like:

"@thisperson - did an excellent job shipping and whatever else +1"

This served as an easy way to reference who has traded/sold/bought from who and have some extra confidence with names they didn't recognize.

I realize the community is pretty tight-knit here, so maybe not necessary, but I was still curious if this has been tried?

Edit: I take no offense if people think this is dumb or not worth the time

This comes up from time to time, generally brought up by newer members.
Personally, I see it as a solution in need of a problem.
I also think it’s too yelp-y.

“Gentleman’s rules” apply here (and hopefully still do)—that, if there’s a problem, people should sort it out amongst themselves. When, rarely, this isn’t the case, the forum does a good job on calling it out. This is reserved for issues—like a misrepresented knife, or shady behavior—not quibbles, like not enough peanuts in the box.

The problem is that some might some might view a minor issue as a major one and consider it worth airing that as dirty laundry. Then a seller, who might have a great reputation built over years, takes the hit because someone that jumped ship from reddit is grumpy because a box arrived three days later than it should have and, well, this never happens with ebay because feedback matters to sellers… you see where this is going…

Speaking of laundry… the first knife I bought on BST arrived securely wrapped in… an old t-shirt. Seller was a good guy, super easy to deal with, and his descriptions were accurate. I didn’t care that it was wrapped in a shirt. What mattered was what was inside. If, though, the knife was sold to someone that hated t-shirt packaging with a passion, and that goes to the feedback thread, well then a good seller whose descriptions are tight has to deal with unnecessary drama…

@McMan That all makes perfect sense to me! I appreciate your insight. It definitely would help out newcomers more than anyone who's established here. I especially agree that the forum does an excellent job addressing individuals who are more shady in their interactions.

Also, quality segue into the t-shirt story.

My post was purely out of curiosity, rather than any desire for the feedback thread to be created.

I mean, it’s not a problem that you made the thread. If people want to post their feedback here, they certainly can and should!

I think people posting truly minor quibbles will just be laughed at, and it won’t hurt the seller’s rep. And as with all threads, you start it, and it either takes off or it doesn’t.

What's interesting to me is that it seems like the BST eco system is evolving... It used to be two pretty clear tiers:

1. reasonably priced very good knives under $200-250
2. the special 'spensive stuff (semi-customs, very good euro/american makers, konos n katos)

Personally, I stayed in #1 for a while when I joined the forum. This also helped to get to know people. Plus, this was territory for some fantastic deals. And it seemed like many of the established members were still trying a ton of stuff fairly regularly so there was a lot available. So, it was also easy to buy from established folks.

But, for the past few years, it seems like BST has morphed more into #2. #1 has shriveled up. I don't know if this is "true" or just my perceptions. But I guess this means either BST is higher stakes or it’s more difficult to just try a bunch of stuff cheaply—probably both. It’s a bummer though that the “try as much as you can” form of BST seems on pause. I think it’ll inevitably unpause soon thought—as all the new knives that people bought to try because used ones were on BST will soon become the used ones on BST that people will be happy to try…

I’d be interested to hear from folks that have been around way longer than I have about ow they view BST.

What's interesting to me is that it seems like the BST eco system is evolving... It used to be two pretty clear tiers:

1. reasonably priced very good knives under $200-250
2. the special 'spensive stuff (semi-customs, very good euro/american makers, konos n katos)

Personally, I stayed in #1 for a while when I joined the forum. This also helped to get to know people. Plus, this was territory for some fantastic deals. And it seemed like many of the established members were still trying a ton of stuff fairly regularly so there was a lot available. So, it was also easy to buy from established folks.

But, for the past few years, it seems like BST has morphed more into #2. #1 has shriveled up. I don't know if this is "true" or just my perceptions. But I guess this means either BST is higher stakes or it’s more difficult to just try a bunch of stuff cheaply—probably both. It’s a bummer though that the “try as much as you can” form of BST seems on pause. I think it’ll inevitably unpause soon thought—as all the new knives that people bought to try because used ones were on BST will soon become the used ones on BST that people will be happy to try…

I’d be interested to hear from folks that have been around way longer than I have about ow they view BST.

Heh maybe it’s just that you’re more interested in the fancier knives now? I just looked on BST and there are lots of recent cheap options.

A “Sellers/Buyers Review” thread would help any member, though personally, I have not had any issues with anyone while selling and/or buying thru BST.

It should focus more on communication skills, shipping time, and shipping quality rather than prices.

Although I should say I have known great sellers and buyers here, reliable, above and beyond expectations (will mention names when the time comes). There have also been cases I have seen here with some not-very-satisfying sellers/vendors and even banned scammers, but overall KKF has a good reputation and positive feedback!

Not sure if mods should consider more active moderators. I see a lot of vets/founders here that are no longer active and there are a lot of cool people that could serve as new mods.

And one last thing KKF has taught me. One can build trust with different folks here thru LOANING. There are great people who offer to loan their stuff for free to new folks to try them out. Very very positive experience.

I feel like every single one of my interactions buying from KKF have been positive, so at least for myself have had 13 years of positive experiences and 0 negative. The Flipper thread make sense to me because we are able to isolate the outliers.

Curious if there are any further thoughts on this subject from the community after the ****** shenanigans on BST today.

I’ve definitely pulled the trigger without enough due diligence buying from KKFers who were dormant for a while.

IME it also tends to be the “old timers” who’ve been on KKF for long enough to have been on the other end of some bad experiences with disingenuous buyers who are the ones that insist on F&F/Zelle to sell particularly prized knives.

Personally I’ve had no issues with either scenario, but it still seems like something could/should be done to reduce the likelihood of hacked account scams?

I know a lot of forums I'm on these days require 2 factor authentication. It was also interesting it was a much older account which was taken (created 2011). I think 2 factor would prevent most things like this, however maybe it's too expensive for the forum to implement? I have no idea on those things. But yeah it's hard because I saw the old account and a timestamp and I didn't think anything of it.

I have lost out on probably 5-6 knives I wanted this past month just because I have been slower than other people by minutes or seconds. My brain has been trained at this point to shoot first and ask questions later. Will think twice before yolo'ing next time, even though it means I miss out.

I know a lot of forums I'm on these days require 2 factor authentication. It was also interesting it was a much older account which was taken (created 2011). I think 2 factor would prevent most things like this, however maybe it's too expensive for the forum to implement? I have no idea on those things.
2FA is already available but optional. I'd be in favor of making it a requirement to post on BST.

I have lost out on probably 5-6 knives I wanted this past month just because I have been slower than other people by minutes or seconds.
I totally feel you on this. The scammer was also smart enough to price the Dalman just low enough to tempt what you called the “lizard brain” but high enough that it wasn’t a totally obvious scam. 😥

2FA is already available but optional. I'd be in favor of making it a requirement to post on BST.
This would make a ton of sense.

Ahh I haven't noticed. Yeah that would be smart.

There are things that can be done better on the forums to protect against stuff like this for sure, but at the end of the day the blame is all on me, especially when they say to use G&S. I have just done it so many times these days that it hasn't surprised me requesting for it. I'm quite upset because I usually don't fall for crap like this. Ever since getting scammed in the days of old school runescape I have avoided getting scammed for close to 20 years. Guess it was time lol.

If a seller INSISTS on F&F I offer to pay the G&S fees myself. If they decline that offer that says scam and I decline the purchase. If they accept then it's probably safe to complete the transaction anyway you please.
I agree this makes sense, but in the last couple years, people have been avoiding it not just for fees, but to not get a 1099k form if you sell more than $600 a year. In the pocket knife scene, no one uses G&S anymore and it's kind of accepted (not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I have had sellers refuse to take G&S and they aren't scammers, hell everywhere but here I don't take G&S and haven't for years)

I think stuff like this would easily be solved if people would stick to etiquette.
The one who expressed interest first, has first dibs. So if he asks a question like additional pic or specs you give it to him and not skip him for the next person who doesn't. You can of course always deny a sale if you don't trust the buyer.
I have only bought and sold via F&F style payments. I try to cater to the buyer as good as I can. There shouldn't be as much pressure in BST.

Also from what I have seen it's usually the old accounts which get taken over.
People didn't secure their accounts enough, never changed passwords, have the post count and longevity to make them look serious and often times these are usually inactive accounts

Really sucks for you @jedy617. The scammer was a real piece of sht how he also taunted you

Spot on. FOMO really creates a fertile environment for scamming.

I think stuff like this would easily be solved if people would stick to etiquette.
The one who expressed interest first, has first dibs. So if he asks a question like additional pic or specs you give it to him and not skip him for the next person who doesn't. You can of course always deny a sale if you don't trust the buyer.
I have only bought and sold via F&F style payments. I try to cater to the buyer as good as I can. There shouldn't be as much pressure in BST.

Also from what I have seen it's usually the old accounts which get taken over.
People didn't secure their accounts enough, never changed passwords, have the post count and longevity to make them look serious and often times these are usually inactive accounts

Really sucks for you @jedy617. The scammer was a real piece of sht how he also taunted you

? what is this? Thnx.

With new AI tools, a photo with their name written on some paper next to the knife is not enough. It's so easily generated. I had one guy try it with me and it looked perfect. But an obvious scammer.

Back to the topic - there are many people who want to remain anonymous as part of a sale. It's why I really don't like this idea.

Turn on 2FA. It adds an extra layer of security. Not perfect, but much better than just user name and password.

When I post something for sale on KKF, I rely on my reputation here for people to believe me. The missing link in the chain is that people need to be sure that, when they see a post from Michi, it is actually Michi who made the post.

I don't know how the KKF moderators feel about this. But, given that this has not been the first time that there has been an incident with stolen credentials in BST, you might want to require 2FA for posting to BST. I would also consider requiring it for the entire site. Give people fair warning with a long transition period. And, for people who've been away for a few years and show up again later, make it easy for them to understand what is happening, and how to recover their account with 2FA.

To add to this, if you're using 2FA, use an app rather than having a code emailed to you, unless it's doing to an email not associated with your KKF account (which I feel is only slightly better).

I'm no expert, but I've had it explained to me that in cyber security, effective multi-factor authentication should include at least two of three of the following:

Something you know (your username and password)
Something you have (2FA dongle, Authentication app on your phone)
Something you are (Biometric authentication)

If you're using the same email that's linked to your KKF account, or even another email altogether, you're still only hitting that first factor.

Just wanted to do a public shoutout to anyone reading this and also do a case study to a particular individual

I think I’m on the newer side of things for being a KKF forum member (6-9 months) and haven’t had a bad experience yet. Even when I had a rant about the difficulties of learning to polish, a few members PM’d me to pass along more resources and tips. These were people who have never met me and probably know nothing about me.

Several people I’ve bought knives and equipment from have tagged me or personally messaged me on knives that they thought I might be interested in for no other reason than my own interest.

Recently though, I kinda goofed. I went to buy a knife using the wise app and thought the first transaction didn’t go through successfully. I did a second attempt that successfully went through. On review, it turns out that both transactions went through and I double paid. To make a long story short, the seller ( @Dan E ) was extremely patient in sending me one of the two payments back with no fuss. Another shining example of the good faith temperament of most members here.

Should you be new to the forum, know that most of the members (99%) are real humans who are out to support you. Take time to cultivate those relationships and I promise it’s worth it

Just wanted to do a public shoutout to anyone reading this and also do a case study to a particular individual

I think I’m on the newer side of things for being a KKF forum member (6-9 months) and haven’t had a bad experience yet. Even when I had a rant about the difficulties of learning to polish, a few members PM’d me to pass along more resources and tips. These were people who have never met me and probably know nothing about me.

Several people I’ve bought knives and equipment from have tagged me or personally messaged me on knives that they thought I might be interested in for no other reason than my own interest.

Recently though, I kinda goofed. I went to buy a knife using the wise app and thought the first transaction didn’t go through successfully. I did a second attempt that successfully went through. On review, it turns out that both transactions went through and I double paid. To make a long story short, the seller ( @Dan E ) was extremely patient in sending me one of the two payments back with no fuss. Another shining example of the good faith temperament of most members here.

Should you be new to the forum, know that most of the members (99%) are real humans who are out to support you. Take time to cultivate those relationships and I promise it’s worth it
I’ve had very similar experiences (members messaging me with tips after I have botched a polishing job which has turned into ongoing conversations over time, messages giving me a heads up on stuff I’ve previously expressed an interest in etc).

It’s a nice place apart from some strange views about queso vs hollandaise…

Back