Flipper alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is clearly thumbprint patina on the knife you claim has never been used. Not even a good fibber.
It’s all about the man behind the sale!
Good point.

Micro-chips too?
1635100525918.png

There is clearly thumbprint patina on the knife you claim has never been used. Not even a good fibber.
It’s all about the man behind the sale!

Personally I think someone who has been shown to lie about condition multiple times like this should be banned from selling on bst.

It is without a doubt a very big frustration. It's as if KKF exists to mainly to be a marketplace, versus the marketplace being a convenient item for community members. I keep up with some current (and past) KKF members more through IG these days than through KKF. For the life of me I don't understand all the protections that are in place for opportunistic sellers. Is it worth it for a whopping $1?

It's really about if this is a community that has a marketplace, or a marketplace that has a community.

That abstract distinction, I can agree with wholeheartedly. I think it's the mostly former, but as in my field, edge cases are a problem. A sufficiently determined jailhouse lawyer can usually find loopholes.

My own conjecture is that the best solution would not come from rule changes, but from a clearly labeled thread for feedback on buyers and sellers. I can tell you that if I were new here, I would not check out a thread called "Flipper Alert" as part of my due diligence. But a sticky in BST called "Feedback on Buyers and Sellers," that I would check out every time.

It is without a doubt a very big frustration. It's as if KKF exists to mainly to be a marketplace, versus the marketplace being a convenient item for community members. I keep up with some current (and past) KKF members more through IG these days than through KKF. For the life of me I don't understand all the protections that are in place for opportunistic sellers. Is it worth it for a whopping $1?

With all due respect, and I really mean that, I think you're vastly over reacting. There's one or two suspect folks in BST that pop up but I very much feel like this is a community. The overwhelming majority of interactions are outside of BST and I see all kinds of awesome stuff happening in the various sub-forums.

Recipes being shared, cooking tips/tricks, awesome pictures, knife recommendations and reviews, kitchen gear reviews, and a lot more.

I can only speak for myself, but BST is very much a side part of the overall forum for me. A valuable one that I am really glad is here, but just a small portion of the greater experience.

It doesn't take much of a used car-salesman radar to raise your neck hairs about a couple sellers.

With all due respect, and I really mean that, I think you're vastly over reacting. There's one or two suspect folks in BST that pop up but I very much feel like this is a community. The overwhelming majority of interactions are outside of BST and I see all kinds of awesome stuff happening in the various sub-forums.

completely disagree that this is a community.

this is a collection of mostly demographically similar individuals and a staff focused more on keeping people 'civil'. and as such for the most part it keeps frictions low, but the second it doesnt work things start to gum up really quickly. someone suggested people take 10 extra seconds to write a date and user name on a piece of paper in their images they already take in their BST posts and a mod and a ton of folks who've been here forever all put up a huge resistance to what is literally not even an inconvenience. and if this forum has a serious number of women/BIPOC members, they keep it to themselves.

doesnt seem like much of a community to me.

Goes to show how many different definitions of "community" there are. From my perspective, yours seems very wrong. I suppose the reverse would apply, naturally. Which is fine. A community that does not have any significant disagreements would not meet my definition of a community.

Goes to show how many different definitions of "community" there are. From my perspective, yours seems very wrong. I suppose the reverse would apply, naturally. Which is fine. A community that does not have any significant disagreements would not meet my definition of a community.

I mean what Im saying is that having a bunch of people using a shared space who's goals and norms already align is just that.

in a community, there is some degree of risk/cost-sharing, and a willingness to in at least some cases put the good of the group above personal interests. neither of those behaviors is on display much around here.

you and anyone else is fine to disagree. Im just calling it like I see it. ofc others will see it differently.

That is an incredibly sexy post! It makes me smile every time I read it! I was going to charge you $100 for reading it, but I will give you a discount because you are a home cook. $97.99! Limited time offer!

I knew before my fingers hit the keys that I was going to be a maestro of truth! My post is in perfect shape and so far barely read!!! It deserves the full $100 and more!

It's all about the bull behind the bulls...

;)

I learned something today:

new
/n(y)o͞o/
adjective

1 not previously used or owned
2 mounted outside on a knife rack to oxidize for an undisclosed amount of time
3 sprayed with various chemicals every two weeks
4 used to cut paper

"This knife I'm selling is new because I can make more money that way. Just trust me or I'll delete your question and raise the price. 🙏 "
-definitely not Sparten007

Recipes being shared, cooking tips/tricks, awesome pictures, knife recommendations and reviews, kitchen gear reviews, and a lot more.

I can only speak for myself, but BST is very much a side part of the overall forum for me. A valuable one that I am really glad is here, but just a small portion of the greater experience.

It doesn't take much of a used car-salesman radar to raise your neck hairs about a couple sellers.
I've been around since the ITK days. While that forum had been going for quite some time when I got interested in j-knives the focus was a lot more on helping each other discover where to get ahold of knife from what were a fairly limited number of makers, what what sharpening items were best, sharpening techniques, rehandling, etc. Plus some food and restaurant stuff thrown in.

These days j-knives are everywhere, there are good pro sharpeners spread throughout the various continents, and great makers have appeared all over the world. The needs of the forum in general are not what they once were; they have evolved as knowledge and availability has drastically increased.

The cooking aspects are still here, which I think is great. It's probably the main thing that keeps me here.

A lot of posters from the 'old days' don't come around much anymore. Sure, some have moved on; their collections are more than complete, they know all they need to know about sharpening to do a good job themselves, they have a pile of vendors to go to for knives and supplies, etc. But a lot of them have moved to other platforms, and are just as active as always -- if not more. It was eye-opening this year when I was trying to corral people for the ECG. There are very few that I still contact via KKF; it's email, text messages, IG, etc. They are still into knives, and many have careers that depend on them. But they are not interested much in spending time on this platform anymore. For me KKF is still a great way to find new people in the mid-Atlantic region, so we can continue to build and strengthen our regional community. But I have found over the last few years that many do not stick around the forums for long.

KKF is different then it was years ago. And that is good for some, and not as good for others. The reality is it could not stay the same, as the kitchen knife world evolved tremendously.

I have bought many knives via the KKF marketplace over the years. That has slowed a lot, but it's largely because I have a pretty good collection, and I'm not who regularly sells in order to try things from newer makers. But I've bought a lot more through IG, PMs and 'massdrops' than through the marketplace the last couple of years. And the ones I have sold have been to people contacting me through PMs and IG, and I have not sold any for more than I paid for them, even when they were tough to get at the time I sold. And the people I have bought from were not looking to make a tidy profit off me. Transactions have been because some really wanted a knife that I had, or they know I really wanted one like the knife they were selling. To me, that is the best representation of being in a community; it's just that it largely is not a KKF community.

anyways, sorry for the ramblings. My 8 year old son has a sore throat and is arguing with my wife over what he can and cannot drink, and whether or not he has to go to school in the morning. I chose to bury my head in KKF until it blow over :cool:

Hey people wanted to ban me for flipping, even though I have never sold a single knife.

And I got banned anyway!
Probably for buying way too many knives. Making the rest of us with small collections feel bad
There is nothing useful I can add to the comprehensive explanation from Bico Doce :D

I've been around since the ITK days. While that forum had been going for quite some time when I got interested in j-knives the focus was a lot more on helping each other discover where to get ahold of knife from what were a fairly limited number of makers, what what sharpening items were best, sharpening techniques, rehandling, etc. Plus some food and restaurant stuff thrown in.

These days j-knives are everywhere, there are good pro sharpeners spread throughout the various continents, and great makers have appeared all over the world. The needs of the forum in general are not what they once were; they have evolved as knowledge and availability has drastically increased.

The cooking aspects are still here, which I think is great. It's probably the main thing that keeps me here.

A lot of posters from the 'old days' don't come around much anymore. Sure, some have moved on; their collections are more than complete, they know all they need to know about sharpening to do a good job themselves, they have a pile of vendors to go to for knives and supplies, etc. But a lot of them have moved to other platforms, and are just as active as always -- if not more. It was eye-opening this year when I was trying to corral people for the ECG. There are very few that I still contact via KKF; it's email, text messages, IG, etc. They are still into knives, and many have careers that depend on them. But they are not interested much in spending time on this platform anymore. For me KKF is still a great way to find new people in the mid-Atlantic region, so we can continue to build and strengthen our regional community. But I have found over the last few years that many do not stick around the forums for long.

KKF is different then it was years ago. And that is good for some, and not as good for others. The reality is it could not stay the same, as the kitchen knife world evolved tremendously.

I have bought many knives via the KKF marketplace over the years. That has slowed a lot, but it's largely because I have a pretty good collection, and I'm not who regularly sells in order to try things from newer makers. But I've bought a lot more through IG, PMs and 'massdrops' than through the marketplace the last couple of years. And the ones I have sold have been to people contacting me through PMs and IG, and I have not sold any for more than I paid for them, even when they were tough to get at the time I sold. And the people I have bought from were not looking to make a tidy profit off me. Transactions have been because some really wanted a knife that I had, or they know I really wanted one like the knife they were selling. To me, that is the best representation of being in a community; it's just that it largely is not a KKF community.

anyways, sorry for the ramblings. My 8 year old son has a sore throat and is arguing with my wife over what he can and cannot drink, and whether or not he has to go to school in the morning. I chose to bury my head in KKF until it blow over :cool:

All good friend.

I've been around forums before there were forums and they all follow that same general pattern. Those that get them going often drift off and just as often feel the original forum lost something. And they aren't wrong, it just comes with growth. They help it grow but then it changes. It's just the way of things. I've been through it myself more than once.

I came in here late in terms of forum age but I like it here and plan to stay.

All my best to your boy. Hope he feels better soon. :)

I got accused of not actually owning any knives, too, in addition to being a flipper!

My suspicion is that you were banned mostly due to moderator exhaustion. Like, maybe if we remove this guy for a month or two, he and the rest of the forum will just shut up for a minute? :p

Last edited:
completely disagree that this is a community.

this is a collection of mostly demographically similar individuals and a staff focused more on keeping people 'civil'. and as such for the most part it keeps frictions low, but the second it doesnt work things start to gum up really quickly. someone suggested people take 10 extra seconds to write a date and user name on a piece of paper in their images they already take in their BST posts and a mod and a ton of folks who've been here forever all put up a huge resistance to what is literally not even an inconvenience. and if this forum has a serious number of women/BIPOC members, they keep it to themselves.

I think it depends which threads you frequent. If you spend a lot of time on this thread or the covid thread, KKF will seem as you describe. But on a lot of the threads there's a strong interest in getting better at making/sharpening/buying, in helping others to get better, and in laughing and ****ing around together. Even buying and selling has a community feel to me. I often buy and sell multiple times from/to the same people and use f&f when appropriate.

in a community, there is some degree of risk/cost-sharing, and a willingness to in at least some cases put the good of the group above personal interests. neither of those behaviors is on display much around here.

I think there's a lot of cost sharing here. There are a ton of us here who do sell at a pay-it-forward price, either decreasing the price of a knife with every sale, or at least sell at the same price as before, despite it being a higher value item. These sales just don't get airtime in the flipper thread. There're also all these really knowledgable people like Kipp, Dalman, Steampunk, Dave M, etc... that give so much of their time to the forum, teaching us newbies how to tie our shoes. (I mean, I give a lot of time too, but my contributions have a lot less content.) That's totally a sacrifice too.

That said, I totally agree with you that it's sad that KKF is so overwhelmingly white/asian male, and it's especially sad (at least to me) that by and large this is not really something that people want to change. See e.g. all the pushback in that knives of wives thread. Don't think that makes it not a community, it's just something that I'd change if I could.

Anyway, I guess my point is just that it depends how you interact with KKF. I've met some people on here that I consider real friends at this point.

Latest posts

Back