Folding Knife Made from Japanese Steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jljohn

Reaction score
I saw Murray Carter's most recent newsletter that announced that he's in the process of developing a folding knife, and it got me wondering, "who else makes foldings knives out of blue and white paper steel?"

I like a good pocket knife, and, while I value a stout western knife made of stainless or semi-stainless steel and the engineering chops of makers like Chris Reeve, nothing beats my kitchen knives for sharpenability and pure cutting capacity. A knife with a relatively thin profile of hard Japanese steel is such a pleasure to work with. So, who makes small folding knives (2 1/2--3" blade) out of Japanese steel? (I do recognize the limitations and drawbacks of such a knife.) I know I occasionally see some from Takeda, but of all my Japanese knives, his is my least favorite cross section. Where else should I look?

Spyderco did at least one sprint run with Aogami Super. I believe the model was a Caly3. Other than that, I've never heard of Hitachi or other Japanese steels used in production folders. Spyderco generally has the widest portfolio of steels in their folders.

EDIT: Just googled "Spyderco Super Blue" and looks like they've made quite a few different models with stainless-laminated AS.

Yep, Spyderco comes to mind. They have a factory in Japan so they use japanese steel in some of their knives.
Blue Super (AS)
VG10
ZDP189
HAP40
SG2 (R2) - i think
And may be few others.
Spyderco makes plenty of special runs (sprint runs) with “exotic” steels.

I have a dragonfly (I think is the model) in AS, and it was not very exciting to me. Thick edge, soft HT. Doesn't opinels do fairly well?

I think the SG2 Spyderco knives were a Japan Massdrop exclusive.
This year they did sprint runs in V-Toku2 clad in SUS310

I have a HAP40 Dragonfly and it's a slicer...

Yeah, I have a carbon Opinel that I really like. It's easy to sharpen and makes a great picnic knife.

Really, I'm looking for White or Blue Paper Steel here or other carbon steel. I really dislike VG-10 and I don't want D2, which I see some makers using.

Opinels are great for the price, especially opinel 13 :D

I’ve seen many Japanese maker doing peasant type of folders some must be whites and blues. I did not encounter many locking knives though, but neither I was looking for them.

The vast majority of modern folders made in Japan are stainless, 8A, VG1, VG10. Moki makes sanmai folders with R2(SG2) for Sweden's Fallkniven.

Yep, Spyderco comes to mind. They have a factory in Japan so they use japanese steel in some of their knives.

Spyderco does not have a factory in Japan. G.Sakai in Seki is Sal Glesser's OEM maker in Japan and has been for ages.

I’ve seen many Japanese maker doing peasant type of folders some must be whites and blues. I did not encounter many locking knives though, but neither I was looking for them.

I think you are referring to the traditional friction folders known as "Higonokami". The ones made by original makers like Nagao (Kanekoma) amd Musashi are all White or Blue or SK5. Ones made by other "knifemakers" can be any stainless. I have a Hattori one that is Cowry-X Damascus.[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of modern folders made in Japan are stainless, 8A, VG1, VG10. Moki makes sanmai folders with R2(SG2) for Sweden's Fallkniven.

Spyderco does not have a factory in Japan. G.Sakai in Seki is Sal Glesser's OEM maker in Japan and has been for ages.

I think you are referring to the traditional friction folders known as "Higonokami". The ones made by original makers like Nagao (Kanekoma) amd Musashi are all White or Blue or SK5. Ones made by other "knifemakers" can be any stainless. I have a Hattori one that is Cowry-X Damascus.

1. A valid correction. Spyderco does not own it's own factory in Japan. However the point was that they make knives in Japan from Japanese steel.
2. I googled the name Higonokami, and that's what I was referring too, yes. They look similar to a peasant folder to me.

I have the full size super blue spyderco. It has a thinner grind than other spyderco steels and is not clad. Made in Japan.

I forced a patina on it years ago still one of my favorite folders.

Take a look at Roland Lannier's work. Nicest looking travelling steak knife I have ever seen. It's on my list. ~$400 per.

Roland.JPG

Take a look at Roland Lannier's work. Nicest looking travelling steak knife I have ever seen. It's on my list. ~$400 per.

View attachment 43002

Sorry, are you advertising or something? This blade is made out of Swedish steel and does not belog at all at this thread. It also does not look that good at all in my opinion.

Sorry, are you advertising or something? This blade is made out of Swedish steel and does not belog at all at this thread. It also does not look that good at all in my opinion.

I am not advertising, I am sharing what I have learned. I have been looking for a folding kitchen steak knife for a long time. This knife has been designed for that very purpose.

I am not advertising, I am sharing what I have learned. I have been looking for a folding kitchen steak knife for a long time. This knife has been designed for that very purpose.
Did you even read the title of this thread, not even mentioning the whole OP’s post.

Did you read the title of the forum (ie. kitchen knife forums) ? You should also take lessons in politeness as comments like yours have little value and stifle good communication.

Did you read the title of the forum (ie. kitchen knife forums) ? You should also take lessons in politeness as comments like yours have little value and stifle good communication.

*clap* *clap* mr/ms. politeness!

readheads, other than mentioning a folding knife, your post was not relevant to the questions I asked. That this is a kitchen knife forum doesn't make anything within that broad topic open game within any given thread. Does Roland make quality folding knives of Japanese Blue or White Paper steel?

Oh My:eek: this forum is known for elongated threads that drift away from OP topic I'm guilty as charged.

I looked up Spyderco super blue and could not even find my older full size, good grind, mono steel, blade with Japan stamped on it.
It has a slightly hollow grind and weighs less than other full size models.

The Spyderco Super Blue Calypso Jr is dropping now. It’s a sprint run so it won’t be around long. Solid SB...no cladding on this one.

Hap40 Spyderco’s are some of my favorite EDC folders, especially the Stretch and Delica Wharnie.

Back