For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chop chop chop. Suck at taking videos but this should be seen. Had an old pepper laying around.

Wakui WH. Effortless

One of the most well constructed Japanese knives I’ve used. Perfect 50/50 convex grind and no low spots on the whole thing which I thought was really cool considering it doesn’t seem to be stone finished.

Nice cutting, but slices of pepper on their sides is probably the easiest thing to cut. I wanna see them SKIN UP and all together! ;o)
Haha fair point. Maybe I’ll actually take some time to do some proper cuts and record it.

The skin wasn’t very fresh and the blade was still able to get some paper thin slices on it. Pretty surprised how nice the cutting edge is with a weight of over 300g.

Haha fair point. Maybe I’ll actually take some time to do some proper cuts and record it.

The skin wasn’t very fresh and the blade was still able to get some paper thin slices on it. Pretty surprised how nice the cutting edge is with a weight of over 300g.
They look amazing, but they're a little to heavy, even for me. ENJOY!

So what’s the bad geometry knife?
Hatsukokoro Shirahama, iron clad white 2 and cost a whole $56 with a pretty nice handle so perfect as a project knife. Once I get it tuned up I’ll probably give it away on the pay it forward forum or maybe gift it to a family member. Still have many hours of thinning to go though.

Apologies if this is gimmicky, I don’t know where I saw this but have been aspiring to replicate it
IMG_1150.jpeg
IMG_1151.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1147.mov
    14 MB
I thought about posting this in a review but that’s way too much work. So here’s me trying out my latest acquisition, an s-grind gyuto from Willow Forge Custom Knives (Neil Ayling). I know many here don’t like needlessly decorative knives, but I love ‘em. But they always need to perform as well, and this one certainly does.

Not quite a laser, but you can see it does horizontal onion slices and has no issues with sweet potatoes. Combined with food release from the s-grind, it’s a winner in my book.

Apologies for the vertical format - I made this for instagram originally.

Push cut vs rock chop vs guillotine and glide

I don't think I've ever played this here but it gets watched a lot in YouTube so maybe it will be useful to someone

PS I might make a dedicated video sometime about why I think whether or not a knife wedges and cracks carrots is an irrelevant test of whether a knife performs well. But you get the idea why I might think that here.

Posted this in unpopular opinions but posting here for posterity sake:

If you are leaving the root bit on the onion when you dice them you are doing it wrong.

Radial cuts are pointless.

Horizonal swipes for the win

Back