For the love of cutting: a cut-vid thread for all

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was between cargo and mini, but scooping power makes it more cargo to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

it’s my wrought clad HF. I’m down for a cleaver swap whenever you are 😎
How bout El Camino, perhaps for a small
cleaver? Hmmm, I might have to take you up in that cleaver swap. I thought it was the HF, but wasn’t totally sure.

How bout El Camino, perhaps for a small
cleaver? Hmmm, I might have to take you up in that cleaver swap. I thought it was the HF, but wasn’t totally sure.
Yeah, literally anything sounds better than a van, but I can’t help but think that’s exactly what they look like 😅

When you gonna post that collection of yours??

Apologies for the fumbling, I'm not used to being in front of the camera haha

And here's the fillets
20220402_195045.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda weird how it always looks like I'm moving in slow motion when I watch my own videos, but it never feels that way while I'm cutting.

Anyway, here's some cuts with my Steeleworks 240mm. It has a really unique cutting feel compared to my other knives - fairly heavy with a thicker spine, but super smooth, effortless cuts. The geometry was a bit of accident as the blade came too thick initially and wedged a lot, so the maker thinned it quite a bit (dropped over 40g) and it turned out pretty awesome.

Kinda weird how it always looks like I'm moving in slow motion when I watch my own videos, but it never feels that way while I'm cutting.

Anyway, here's some cuts with my Steeleworks 240mm. It has a really unique cutting feel compared to my other knives - fairly heavy with a thicker spine, but super smooth, effortless cuts. The geometry was a bit of accident as the blade came too thick initially and wedged a lot, so the maker thinned it quite a bit (dropped over 40g) and it turned out pretty awesome.

View attachment 175040

Slow-ish and steady wins the race. I know there are guys here who are machines but I feel like every time I’m trying to fly, I inevitably jump the cuttee and graze myself or poke a finger with the tip of the blade.

Also Britton really nailed that blade.

I'm still figuring it out, but I like it quite a bit. It's very well made and well ground, with a significant righty bias. The balance, profile, and feel in hand are excellent given the price I paid for it. Blade finish needed a bit of work, but nothing half an hour with some stone powder and micromesh couldn't take care of.

I put my own edge on it almost immediately, and I like how it cuts. At 8000 grit and after stropping with some chromium oxide, it's not as natural a cutter as my Martell or Tanaka/Togashi blades, but it's responsive and gives a great deal of control. I bought it to have a stainless go-to gyuto that I never had to worry about, and I think it will fulfill that role perfectly.

My Kipp has been out on loan for a while, and then was somewhat worried it’d got lost in the the post. Happily back now though :).

An interesting, and quite cool (I think) grind on this one. I asked for something vague and annoying like ‘a laser but with clever rh food release’. Afaics this seems to be what I assume is a normal laser type grind on the left, and then almost a sort of s-grind on the right. It has a pronounced 2e bevel about at about 1 cm from the edge, which itself looks to have some concavity particularly at the start (?), perhaps to maintain the lasery cutting quality.

605F23D5-30CC-494F-B14D-3245864B0F64.jpeg

The overall effect is something that zips through food, while also kinda pinging it off the face of the knife before it can start stacking up, and doesn’t really steer. If my skillz were better, then everything I ever cut with it would probably form into perfectly neat piles about 4” from the edge.

Let it not be said that J can’t do clever things with food release.

Last edited:
Feels like I’m cutting way too much chocolate these days.

View attachment 178639
Lol I didn’t have quite as amazing selection of no’s but I worked in a chocolate factory and lamented the fact that my most used knives were used a cheap thrift store bone cleaver or a thick behind the edge old santoku

Doing my best @stringer impersonation today. The inaugural onion dice with my new ironclad Watanabe 270. I was not expecting smooth cuts with the tip considering how thick it is at the spine, but it did surprisingly well. Still feels very unwieldy though because it’s my first 270, definitely need more practice to get faster with it. Already put my own edge on it because the OOTB zero grind was amazing, but oh so fragile. There’s a tiny overgrind in the profile at the heel, but it’s small enough that it’ll come out after another touch up or two so I’m not concerned. The heel is a little too flat and clunky though so I’ll need to put in a little back heel and probably thin the tip a bit when I get around to doing some tweaking. But for now, I’m more than happy using the Wat as is, just need a couple crates of vegetables to plow through.

Back