Frustration with Instagram and webstore races to get custom makers' new knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Gan, I will just congratulate him on his super fast fingers and being able to purchase so many nice knives. Will continue to strive for the ones I want and hope to succeed. I've had a fair share of good luck as well so I shouldn't complain. Let's all continue to support our favorite knifemakers in continuing their creative endeavors. I've turned my frustration into positive motivation for success.

Come on guys, the hunt isn’t really the exciting part, the satisfaction of finally getting THE knife after a long hunt, that is the gratifying part!

The hunt can be incredibly frustrating, but succeeding after a long hunt is more satisfying than just clicking a button or two somewhere and holding the knife 2 days later.

Regarding Gan, I will just congratulate him on his super fast fingers and being able to purchase so many nice knives. Will continue to strive for the ones I want and hope to succeed. I've had a fair share of good luck as well so I shouldn't complain. Let's all continue to support our favorite knifemakers in continuing their creative endeavors. I've turned my frustration into positive motivation for success.

i wouldn’t judge a book by its cover in this case anyway. I don’t believe for one second that he was the fastest on that many knives ... there are other avenues to get specific knives. Plenty of knives never show up on certain sites.

On the technical side of knife hunting - it is a fact that some (and I would assume these guys most likely do not hang around KKF) go as far as having bots doing the clicking. Some sellers have the chance to counter act that in one way or another, but I would assume that most western makers do not have the time to invest the additional effort (which requires also dedicated tools and skills/knowledge) to fight that.

I need a bot- where do I find one?😊 joking. My finger is getting fatigued from refreshing.

I think if the knife is readily available or does not move quickly on BST, we become hesitant to buy it

if it’s scarce (think Mazascus or soon Kisukascus), then we all jump in the bandwagon, we do get a thrill when we land it

getting a knife with no chance of failure is not the same as getting it and feeling like you won the lottery - like Racquin, or Kaiju.

unless of course, you have a personal relationship with the maker - if you have that, then getting the knife through a personal connection or something more customized to you, may be the most gratifying of all.

I know. I was so pleased when I got my 15th Yanick. It’s the best of the lot. It’s too bad you missed out, JML. I’m sure if you try again you’ll have better luck eventually. I always just happen to be lucky, it seems, as I haven’t missed out on one for a while now. Life has always been like that for me, though. #blessed

For me, the more randomness that envolves in selling the most asked knives, the better. Every maker/seller should do just as they please or want. Nowadays there are anyway too much attitude that everything should be equal or everything should work without flaws or mistakes. We are all humans and full of flaws and we are all "individuals", so if a maker choose to do differently than somebody else, whatever the reason might be, that is more than fine IMO. Time to try overgrinda maybe?

For me, the more randomness that envolves in selling the most asked knives, the better. Every maker/seller should do just as they please or want. Nowadays there are anyway too much attitude that everything should be equal or everything should work without flaws or mistakes. We are all humans and full of flaws and we are all "individuals", so if a maker choose to do differently than somebody else, whatever the reason might be, that is more than fine IMO. Time to try overgrinda maybe?
TFTFTFTF

Alright guys let me fix the issue here
1603465193108.png

I always wonders how much one need to pay to cut in line? Is it 3 time the retail price or 20 times?

If you do cut the line like that for a custom knife, you better really really like your knife because you will never ever get back close to what you paid via BST.

I can say emphatically that this has NOTHING to do with cost. I am fortunate to consider Bryan a friend and can tell you he is above reproach.

I am also fortunate to consider Gan a personal friend.

These are both men of the highest integrity and the notion that they’re somehow going around the free market is nothing short of shit****ery.

Just because a lot of the people on this forum lack class doesn’t mean the whole community does.

These are both men of the highest integrity and the notion that they’re somehow going around the free market is nothing short of ********ery.

what exactly do you mean by “free market”?

are you saying others are suggesting that knives sometimes somehow make their way to someone outside the newsletter sale? And that the idea is bonkers and an insult?

IMHO a free market is ... free! So in that case Bryan could do whatever he wants: sell all knives to one guy, none to another, auction them all off, sell them all in a newsletter ... or none, or just some...

Last edited:
Back