Good deal or not worth it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It reminds me a lot of the stereotypical red-handled tsuchime damascus VG-10 knife you see in almost every knife store under its own name. It could be the same thing with a black handle, or something else entirely. If it is the same or similar it's on the expensive side.
Either way it doesn't particularly scream bargain to me at that price.

+1. It doesn't look like a bad knife or a terrible deal, but $200 for a 210mm VG10 suji doesn't scream bargain to me. 210 is too small for a slicer, IMO.

You'd have to really need a slicer for smaller items to make that worth while.

I find that in many cases, I just use a 210 or 240 gyuto for slicing. When I do pull out the 270 suji as I want to slice something larger, I end up wanting something even longer, as it's not long enough to finish the slice in one pull cut and I end up "sawing" the meat.

I agree 210 is too short for slicing anything much bigger than a chicken breast. But just to play devil's advocate. I prefer a 210 sujihiki for cleaning fat and silverskin from beef/pork subprimals like loin/tenderloin/flank/skirt etc. And it's my favorite for cleaning monkfish.

To me, the price not attractive at all...

The blade length is a matter of personal preference and board/workspace limitations.
But a hammer finished VG10 core damascus knife is a dime a dozen.
I think that the price is too high to be attractive, for what it is.

Not sure what the consensus here on the knife, I have a Kikuichi 240mm sujihiki for sale in the BST forum.

New Here for description.

I agree 210 is too short for slicing anything much bigger than a chicken breast. But just to play devil's advocate. I prefer a 210 sujihiki for cleaning fat and silverskin from beef/pork subprimals like loin/tenderloin/flank/skirt etc. And it's my favorite for cleaning monkfish.
Which 210 suji is your favorite?

I have a 210 Ginga suji/petty that's great for trimming, slicing small proteins, and general work as a line knife that doesn't take up a lot of board real estate but can still get a lot of work done. It's a laser and because it's so thin, it will flex. I typically prefer a more rigid suji, but that's because I think of sujis as slicers and I prefer slicers to be rock solid. But I classify 210 sujis as long petties anyway, so... as a long petty, it's pretty righteous. Mine's a yo handle, but here's a wa putting in some serious work:

Ashi ginga
I have a 210 Ginga suji/petty that's great for trimming, slicing small proteins, and general work as a line knife that doesn't take up a lot of board real estate but can still get a lot of work done. It's a laser and because it's so thin, it will flex. I typically prefer a more rigid suji, but that's because I think of sujis as slicers and I prefer slicers to be rock solid. But I classify 210 sujis as long petties anyway, so... as a long petty, it's pretty righteous. Mine's a yo handle, but here's a wa putting in some serious work:

That's me.

Robert Herder 1922 Tranchelard, 230mm including fingerguard, C75W @60Rc.
DSC-0005.jpg

holy F, I would have to use 1 hour to clean up just 3 😁

are the removed parts used for anything?

That was chuck flap for hotel banquets. We braised the beef down in beef stock. You have to be pretty aggressive about removing fat or else it turned out greasy and people get weirded out by seeing big chunks of fat. We would take the trim and roast it until most of the fat melted off and then used whatever lean meat we could salvage for tacos or spaghetti meat sauce or whatever for the employee cafeteria.

That was chuck flap for hotel banquets. We braised the beef down in beef stock. You have to be pretty aggressive about removing fat or else it turned out greasy and people get weirded out by seeing big chunks of fat. We would take the trim and roast it until most of the fat melted off and then used whatever lean meat we could salvage for tacos or spaghetti meat sauce or whatever for the employee cafeteria.

was in no way meant as critique, I was genuinely curious whether it was useable :)

thank you for taking the time to answee

Hey man,

How does Monk fish taste, and what is the texture like? I also want to try Turbot, Gordon Ramsey and British chefs in general seem to love it, as they always seem to be cooking it when I catch one of their shows. I hear the turbot is similar to flounder.

Ashi ginga

That's me.

Is that the really thin Sujihiki you were slicing apples with when you were learning me on the convex bevel that backs up the edge? Man! You're really rolling through that meat! Interesting grip, I guess that makes sense when butchering large pieces of beef like this. You also call a Sujihiki a long petty, but the Sujuhiki does seem to have a slightly different tip profile. The petties I've seen seem to have more of a gyuto tip profile. Where did the term "petty" originate from, it doesn't sound very Japanese at all?

Last edited:
Is that the really thin Sujihiki you were slicing apples with when you were learning me on the convex bevel that backs up the edge? Man! You're really rolling through that meat! Interesting grip, I guess that makes sense when butchering large pieces of beef like this. You also call a Sujihiki a long petty, but the Sujuhiki does seem to have a slightly different tip profile. The petties I've seen seem to have more of a gyuto tip profile. Where did the term "petty" originate from, it doesn't sound very Japanese at all?

Yes that is the one. Petties are shorter knives. They can have profiles that look more sujihiki or kiritsuke or more santoku or gyuto or whatever. This particular one is definitely suji shaped. I hold it with a hammer grip basically and I leave a gap between my fingers and the heel because the heel is really sharp and will bite you quite easily. Petty comes from from the French petite for little.

Yes that is the one. Petties are shorter knives. They can have profiles that look more sujihiki or kiritsuke or more santoku or gyuto or whatever. This particular one is definitely suji shaped. I hold it with a hammer grip basically and I leave a gap between my fingers and the heel because the heel is really sharp and will bite you quite easily. Petty comes from from the French petite for little.

I really like the shape and overall profile of the Sujihiki. It will be the next style of Japanese knife I buy, no doubt. I think I'm going to go your route and by the Sujihiki with a thinner blade, maybe sub 2mm. Partly because I love the shape of the tip (the tip shape that seems more ubiquitous to me), and partly because you and Hiroyuki Terada use them and do quite well using them. You have some great butchering skills. I was watching closely and you know exactly where to start the cut, and follow through for the most efficient fat removal with a minimum waste of meat, also leaving a nice amount of fat on the cuts for flavor. It was pretty impressive.

Would the sizes of those pieces be used in something like a beef Bourguignon? And would the trimmings be used for anything, like stock or sausage? By the way, I noticed the table you were cutting on was moving around a bit. Does that effect your cutting any? I was worried for a minute there, but you seemed to be overcoming the wobble without any problems, but accidents happen. I also thought you might be using it simply to shoot the video on, and use a more stable surface normally.

I hold it with a hammer grip basically and I leave a gap between my fingers and the heel because the heel is really sharp and will bite you quite easily.

The heel issue is something I've been thinking about lately. Murry Carter grinds down the heel and calls it the "Carter Safety Heel" (Hehe! 😂), but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard, they can bite you when you least expect it. I've been thinking about grinding down the sharp heels on my Gyuto and Kiritsuke, but I don't want to lose any vital slicing ability, due to changing the geometry of the blade, however minor. What's your thought on the safety heel idea?

What is the Carter Elbow and Carter Safety Heel?

I really like the shape and overall profile of the Sujihiki. It will be the next style of Japanese knife I buy, no doubt. I think I'm going to go your route and by the Sujihiki with a thinner blade, maybe sub 2mm. Partly because I love the shape of the tip (the tip shape that seems more ubiquitous to me), and partly because you and Hiroyuki Terada use them and do quite well using them. You have some great butchering skills. I was watching closely and you know exactly where to start the cut, and follow through for the most efficient fat removal with a minimum waste of meat, also leaving a nice amount of fat on the cuts for flavor. It was pretty impressive.

Would the sizes of those pieces be used in something like a beef Bourguignon? And would the trimmings be used for anything, like stock or sausage? By the way, I noticed the table you were cutting on was moving around a bit. Does that effect your cutting any? I was worried for a minute there, but you seemed to be overcoming the wobble without any problems, but accidents happen. I also thought you might be using it simply to shoot the video on, and use a more stable surface normally.

The heel issue is something I've been thinking about lately. Murry Carter grinds down the heel and calls it the "Carter Safety Heel" (Hehe! 😂), but it's not the worst idea I've ever heard, they can bite you when you least expect it. I've been thinking about grinding down the sharp heels on my Gyuto and Kiritsuke, but I don't want to lose any vital slicing ability, due to changing the geometry of the blade, however minor. What's your thought on the safety heel idea?

What is the Carter Elbow and Carter Safety Heel?
I'm sorry, but, if you're choking up so far on the knife that the corner of the cutting edge might, cut you......
You're doing it wrong.
Screenshot_20210520-124820.png

Now if it was for the safety of your kitchen towels, I could get behind that reasoning.

We did use this beef for beef bourguignon and bolognese and beef stew and beef sandwiches. It is very versatile and forgiving to cook. We did use the trim. We would grind it for meat loaf or burgers or render the fat and use whatever was left for tacos or pasta meat sauce.

The table was moving around quite a bit. You get used to operating in less than ideal conditions. I don't remember what was going on that day but my other prep table options must have been worse.

I don't know about the safety heel. It would definitely extend the life of my aprons and towels as @M1k3 said, but it isn't something I would probably ever do. Not because I would worry about losing slicing ability, I just wouldn't bother.

To me, a sharp heel is very convenient and allows me to keep the tip very thin, almost fragile, as I still can use the heel for less delicate tasks. In case the blade has lost its first sharpness it allows me to still enter a overripe tomato.
Now, due to my sharpening or by the maker's choice, all my blades have more or less upswing at the heel, so its sharpness is attenuated. Unless the maker has decided to incline the choil as well to maintain a perpendicular heel as in this Masahiro.
IMG_20210521_063645.jpg

I've got used to a sharp heel and I miss it when using a Sab or Herder 1922. Now, Sabs may have extremely delicate tips if not lost over time. The chef's version of the Herder comes with a relatively thickened tip, as one of their workers has explained on the German counterpart forum. A lot of other makers thicken their tips a bit. Mr Carter's innovation in this respect is relative.
As for his safety heel: it makes my life much simpler. I may keep both kidneys. When cutting myself: as you may know, it only happens once, with a new knife. It's only a part of its introduction in your life.

Back