Great Eastern Cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just recently got into Great Eastern Cutlery pocket knives. Anyone else collect or use them? Didn't think I'd be into old timey slip joints but here we are.

Here's some recent pickups

Attachments

• IMG20240125141952.jpg
    IMG20240125141952.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240121110517.jpg
    IMG20240121110517.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
I tried to get into them last year. I gave up after a few months because the combination of how pocket knife retailers sell knives (first come first serve versus a lottery) combined with the company keeping production numbers low meant the only way to get one was through the secondary and I wasn’t gonna be paying 2-4x retail for one.

Love the shape, especially on ones like your first pic and #71, but too much drama to acquire.

I tried to get into them last year. I gave up after a few months because the combination of how pocket knife retailers sell knives (first come first serve versus a lottery) combined with the company keeping production numbers low meant the only way to get one was through the secondary and I wasn’t gonna be paying 2-4x retail for one.

Love the shape, especially on ones like your first pic and #71, but too much drama to acquire.
Yea they are a pain to get ahold of but I do love chasing a rare knife. It does make me appreciate how KKF BST typically prices knives below retail vs. above (for the most part).

I have a bunch of slip joints but never fell down the GEC hole. They're just too exclusive and the secondary market can be brutal. So, I shifted my focus to the French. :)

I had one. it was so difficult to open, so I gave it to a guy.

I kept a few old Case folders, but if I am being honest they aren't my jam either.

This is my take, to each their own. I have had a few over the years. I have one left, and it's a user. They're worth their retail pricing but not their secondary market prices. The 1095 blade steel takes an edge extremely quickly but retention isn't great, it's soft. You can maintain an edge on them via strop with green compound. I'm not a collector and their secondary market value puts them in the price range of custom slip joint work with better fit and finish, better blade steel, and better materials. Even if you get one at retail, it's hard to hang on to them when someone will give you 3x what you paid and you can put that into a custom that's exactly what you want with better materials. The collectors can have them.

sooo...what I am reading is that it was foolish for me to have given mine to Dale. hahah

last time I saw it was sitting in dirt at the footwell of his ranch truck. he does use it to cut bales of hay, for his hogs.

sooo...what I am reading is that it was foolish for me to have given mine to Dale. hahah

last time I saw it was sitting in dirt at the footwell of his ranch truck. he does use it to cut bales of hay, for his hogs.
I wouldn't say that. They're fine tools. There's just a contingent of old guys who will pay a big secondary market markup for them, especially when they're wrapped in that oily waxed paper, "new in tube," adorned with nostalgic artwork. GEC has done a nice job of limiting supply to keep demand up, intentionally or otherwise.

Here's my GEC made Remington Prospector two blade trapper. It has nice dyed bone scales. I don't think I've used it to field dress a deer yet but it has been carried in the pack on a few hunts and I'm sure its time will come soon.

I agree that the prices are not bad retail. Some of the secondary market prices are insane. I've been sticking to secondary market right after a release before they shoot up to the stratosphere. Also carbon pocket knives are cool but its nice to be able to carry a knife in the wet.

Also the initial edges are hit and miss. I have one that is near perfect and one that has some overgrind.

The pocket knife crowd is wild to me. It really seems like nobody uses them. The vast majority of classified sales are all new knives and nobody talks about how to thin their blades over time. So many non-traditional folders (tactical/modern) are incredibly thick behind the edge from the factory. Everyone polishes their edges to mirrors and the market almost seems to focus on theoretical use as opposed to actual use. It's bizarre.

The pocket knife crowd is wild to me. It really seems like nobody uses them. The vast majority of classified sales are all new knives and nobody talks about how to thin their blades over time. So many non-traditional folders (tactical/modern) are incredibly thick behind the edge from the factory. Everyone polishes their edges to mirrors and the market almost seems to focus on theoretical use as opposed to actual use. It's bizarre.
I've noticed that too. I think pocket knife people care less about cutting performance over time and thinning would have to be done so rarely. How sharp a pocket knife needs to be is way different for me.I feel the need to touch up a gyuto when it starts struggling on a tomato. It's still damn sharp all things considered. I sharpen a pocket knife when it struggles with cardboard which is way more dull.

I've used them a fair amount over the years. Not sure how many I have these days but I used one of their large trapper patterns to skin a buck this fall. My general feeling is they don't come very sharp from the factory, maybe because most end up in collections and aren't used. After a little work on a few stones they are fine.

Last edited:
I agree that the prices are not bad retail. Some of the secondary market prices are insane. I've been sticking to secondary market right after a release before they shoot up to the stratosphere. Also carbon pocket knives are cool but its nice to be able to carry a knife in the wet.

Also the initial edges are hit and miss. I have one that is near perfect and one that has some overgrind.
As for those supposed after market prices, I have a small collection of the annual Great Eastern OKCA club knives. Last year at their show I put them out for sale with only one looker. He wanted to buy the current year's club knife at less than I paid for it. I know the bay etc are full of Great Easterns at extremely high prices but are they actually selling them? Most of mine were bought back before they became a beanie baby fad.

As for those supposed after market prices, I have a small collection of the annual Great Eastern OKCA club knives. Last year at their show I put them out for sale with only one looker. He wanted to buy the current year's club knife at less than I paid for it. I know the bay etc are full of Great Easterns at extremely high prices but are they actually selling them? Most of mine were bought back before they became a beanie baby fad.
A lot of the above 300 secondary market knives don't seem to sell all that well. I think the best way to enjoy knives are to buy knives that have seen some use, use em for as long as you want and sell reasonably. KKF BST has a lot of that going on. Hasn't quite hit GEC yet.

Check eBay's "sold" listings for "GEC knife." No doubt "new in tube" knives command a secondary market premium. Not all patterns command the same markup, though.

It makes me appreciate KKF; most of the stuff on BST is either a user or made to be used. That's far more enjoyable to me.

The irony is not lost on most of us. Head over to any knife forums you will see people joking about the #1 use of pocket knife is to open boxes of more pocket knives.

It's a pocket jewelry/art/fidget toy that people can claim to have a 'use' for it to justify the hobby and price.

I've owned a few of what I believe to be higher-end folders. No shame in the hobby. It just seems like it's all a kind of facade based on the pretext of use and not actual use.

Back (closer) to the original topic, I think current production Case knives present a good value if you can hand select the one you buy (for fit and finish). Their "CV" carbon steel takes a nice edge.

Back