Guy Fieri get fried.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then they can go out and buy a white coat and proclaim themselves "Chef" to all their equally brain-dead friends. Maybe even get a part time instructor's gig down at the Whole Foods where they can bang away with their ****** santokus on glass cutting boards.
They'll also go into your restaurant, order an Eggs Benedict sub egg whites, muffin not too dark but not too light, and some hash browns (cooked with no oil or butter, butter on the side, thank you), or maybe a Quesadilla (I'd like to add jalapenos, substitute Swiss, diced potatoes please, and can you put in this soggy, dirty cilantro from my garden?)

I gotta GTFO of this industry before I have an aneurysm.

Whether or not the tv chefs are the real deal -IMO most of them are- they're promoting a wide variety of good quality fresh foods that us baby boomers didn't grow up with. Because of them we have a generation of better educated and creative home cooks.

The whole celebrity chef thing is in some way responsible for most of the ingredients, techniques and knives we post here:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ing-fine-and-fancy-**-Just-plain-good-Show-us!

There's a lot of BS that comes with media chefs like Fieri (I like DDD, but his knives are absurd) and wannabe's who give bad information. But they're here to stay. I can't stomach some of them and agree with the criticism on this thread, but overall they've revolutionized cooking in a positive way.

The only person I truly enjoy watching cook on television is le grand Pépin .

jacques pepin was the only true chef on tv that really got me into cooking. and of course, julia child. then it was the guy from cook with yan, it was all we had on broadcast tv in the 80s, cook with yan (no, not yan can cook, different yan, canadian chinese).

these people solidified my need to learn to cook.

my grandmother for my pallet and my mother for her foodieness. lol.

Fiero, as I call him, has learned how to make a great deal of $$ by pandering to knuckleheads who lack original thought. Somehow this demographic actually has the money to spend, which is another mystery entirely. But, he's made a lot of dough, and I can't fault him for that. However, I've actually had the (let's just call it an) opportunity to meet him twice. Both times while I was mentoring a group of local high school kids cooking in the Pro-Start National competition. First time was in Charlotte when he was the guest celeb chef. It wasn't intentional, I was at the hotel bar chatting with several of the chef judges when he strolled up to join. Within a flash, all of the chefs excused themselves one way or another, which left me alone with him. Normal dude once his "image" is lifted, but I thought it hilarious the complete lack of comradery and respect the other chef judges had towards him. I think part of it was his sloppy attire and untied shoes, whereas they were all dressed in fresh pressed whites with starched pants and toques. They took the judging seriously, as well they should.
The second time was in San Diego, several years later for the same Pro-Start Nationals. This time with his film crew in tow. They were to make a tv show about the competition. Of course all the kids were super excited about this at first. Understandably so. But come time of the actual cooking- 1 hour to make 3 courses,2 plates each with no electricity and only 2 butane burners as heat sources, they quickly changed their minds. These kids,4 per team, each team representing their respective school from their state, have been training for almost a full year. Every second is accounted for. Every method perfectly timed to the next.
But none of us were prepared for fiero to interrupt the cooking process to share how cool he was with the kids by asking unrelated(at that exact moment) questions. These poor kids, stressed to the point of tears, cooking their butts off for a chance to win a full ride to the culinary school off their choice (which can equate to $100,000 these days), were completely caught off guard. Guy and his crew, with all their cameras and blazingly hot lamps, were just pulling kids to the side one by one. When he was done they'd just move to the next, leaving this kid utterly lost, and their teammates scrambling to make up for lost time and hands. We were just praying that they couldn't get to our team in time. But alas, the camera crew came over to film some close-ups of our kids plating. The heat of the lamps literally melted the tempered chocolate garnish, and when the camera guy noticed this he freaked out and knocked the back up garnishes to the floor. Not groovy. But the kids held their own, continuing on and beating the timer. THAT'S when our hero, fiero, came to chat. For 10 freaking minutes while the kids were standing there, holding the trays of finished foods, all of it dying. Of course the "heat lamps" from the crew weren't around. So naturally or team was bashed by the tasting chef judges for presenting cold, dead food. I'm not saying they were 1st place, but they certainly had as good a chance as the others.
The best part was the awards ceremony, where they did 3, yes 3, different takes of announcing the clown to the massive audience. 3 f'n takes. Not groovy at all.

I don't even think the damn show was ever aired.

some people are just born to be better businessmen and tv show hosts than being a cook. and he is just that.

=D

With that said, I was glad when Fieri/Ferry did a piece on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives about the newly reopened Parkette Drive- In in Lexington, KY.
Parkette is about 2 minutes away from me, I remember their sign saying something about being on the show.
An Corp!

GuyBashing (one of my favorite things in the whole wide world).
+1

It was great that the new folks opened it back up and expanded it a bit. That place was built before New Circle Road was paved out there....or called New Circle Road for that matter. Talk about a pioneering establishment. When my folks were in college in the late 50's, the kids use to cruise between the Parkette and the othe couple of joints up towards Broadway. Nick Clooney, George's father was one of the elder leaders of that crowd. He was a young DJ in Lexington at the time. Back when I was 3-4, in 1964-65, my dad owned the liquor store The Bottle Shop at the corner of New Circle and Limestone/Old Paris Rd.
Parkette is about 2 minutes away from me, I remember their sign saying something about being on the show.

+1

It was great that the new folks opened it back up and expanded it a bit. That place was built before New Circle Road was paved out there....or called New Circle Road for that matter. Talk about a pioneering establishment. When my folks were in college in the late 50's, the kids use to cruise between the Parkette and the othe couple of joints up towards Broadway. Nick Clooney, George's father was one of the elder leaders of that crowd. He was a young DJ in Lexington at the time. Back when I was 3-4, in 1964-65, my dad owned the liquor store The Bottle Shop at the corner of New Circle and Limestone/Old Paris Rd.
Interesting bit of history. That is all way before my time.

I was just watching some TV and I saw Fieri on some old-ish gameshow called Minute to Win It. It says a lot to me that NBC thought more of Fieri's skills as a gameshow host than a cook. I bet Morimoto never does the Price Is Right.

k.

Interesting bit of history. That is all way before my time.
Lots of funky local culinary history around there, and some of it still around like the Parkette and Campbell House. Unfortunately, other places, like the Springs Motel and its dining room, didn't make it. Not sure where you get your fried sheeps nuts in white gravy now other than at Spindletop.. :lol2:

I was just watching some TV and I saw Fieri on some old-ish gameshow called Minute to Win It. It says a lot to me that NBC thought more of Fieri's skills as a gameshow host than a cook. I bet Morimoto never does the Price Is Right.

k.

I didn't mind him as the host there. Good energy, kept the contestants on path. As far as his line of stuff, I can't find any kind of intelligence in what he is shilling out to the public.

I greatly appreciated this article for what it had to offer and what it represented. I believe there is a need for a few select isolated food critics who have the willingness and the freedom to honestly say "The food at Jhon Doe's Bistro was utterly terrible." A true Food Hero who will openly and publicly laugh and turn their nose up in the air at the mere mention of Chili's. Someone who will respond to the suggestion of dining at Applebee's with hostility, disdain, and pity. Someone who will recommend ON PUBLIC NEWS PRINT to avoid the Olive Garden like the plague.

I know there are critics who focus on high end restaurants and do not write articles about mid-level dining options. But that's not good enough. I want someone who will write up a five line article in the NY Times or LA Times about a recent new Bistro or restaurant by the latest winner of Top Chef with the final sentence reading "Eat at this place and you are a fool."

One can only dream.

his menu looks like it is from any chain restaurant.

except the donkey sauce...god, i hope the donkey sauce isnt white and creamy looking.

Hahaha. That has to be the single worst review I have ever read in my entire life. I can only imagine what that critic must have went through with that meal. The review seemed almost angry. Like if Guy Fieri walked into his office, this guy would have punched him... or dumped donkey sauce down his pants.

Any real Chef knows what goes into our profession. It's irritating to even look at that guy

I'm still %100 sure that I don't want any donkey sauce.

The sad thing is, based on his food and "expertise," he's made more than most of us combined on his fancy food. Wonder how much his kitchen staff benefits on quantity over quality?

I was just on another forum where I came across some people talking about how much they like Fieri's show, I had to leave that page quickly.

I was just on another forum where I came across some people talking about how much they like Fieri's show, I had to deactivate my account there quickly.

Oh hey, I fixed that for you.

DDD is a good show but not because of Fieri who acts like an adolescent a$$hole. The restaurants usually make interesting dishes from scratch using fresh ingredients.

[video=youtube;IyK6i9c7UsU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyK6i9c7UsU[/video]

I read a comparison of Guy Fieri to Krusty the Clown, which I think is perfect.

Latest posts

Back